Pickle

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
PicklePickle
Notes: This is NOT the same beer as the FarmStand pickle. This sour ale has been aged in our solera sour barrel with collections of local microflora from 3 years. After 8 months of aging we added local cucumbers & dill. The aroma is cucumber, melon, dill, mineral water... Basically a pickle. Flavor is outstanding (even for non-pickle fans)- refreshing juicy cucumber-melon flavor is wiped away by a tart acidity and lingering refreshment and flavor of dill. This beer is fantastic for the dog days of summer.
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 31 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Milk & Hops - Upper East Side, New York, NY

A: The beer is hazy light whitish yellow in color, looking a little like lemonade. It poured with no head whatsoever.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of dill pickles are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell, but wasn't as strong as I expected. It had mostly flavors of cucumbers with notes of pickle brine.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a low amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be very interesting and a lot more drinkable than I had initially expected it to be, particularly as there were a decent amount of cucumber flavors in the taste. The smell was its best quality.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

First off let me say that this is a really well done beer with an excellent balance of the flavors that they are going for. Now let me say that if tastes like drinking pickle juice. The smell comes off as more cucumber and dill but not the taste.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Crisp, clean and sour but not overly acidic. Love how the dill notes come gliding in on the finish. Overall effect is very refreshing with a surprising herbal twist at the end.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is really amazing, the essence of the garden in summer, cucumber and dill wild beer, truly beautiful stuff, even though i have learned to be suspicious of beers with cucumber in them. there is nothing forced, overly fragrant or perfumey, or synthetic about this, which are the usual pitfalls with this ingredient, and i am actually shocked to find it subservient to the fresh dill in both aroma and flavor. the dill totally pops, and its incredible with this citrusy briny acidity and with the fruity funkiness, this is really mature and bretty, but at the same time its so fresh and alive, i can almost see bees pollinating the dill, and i can truly feel the sun baking on the dark green skin of a cucumber in the summer, its insane where this takes me. the sourness is moderate compared to some of their others, which i think works well here, and none of the elements are forced. its simplicity is part of its beauty, no horseradish or chili or salt added, and i appreciate that tremendously. the plan bee culture is all time, and it rocks in this beer too. carbonation is high, finish is dry, and the freshness of the herbs remain in the finish, its crazy. sounds like a gimmick on paper, but this is a fabulous brew, drinkable as anything. this really turned me on!

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Full disclosure I do not like pickles. But I did enjoy this it is very unique.

Pour is Light cloudy greenish yellow. Foaming, medium Whitehead Fades fast.

Smells cucumber, tart, Dill.

Taste pickle without the vinegar, tart. Quite tart. Finish is dry with a long pickle linger. Medium body and fizzy medium carbonation.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As advertised: basically a wild pickle brine ale. But jeez do they nail it! Briney punchy dill dances wonderfully with the tart (not overly sour) and rustic funk of their culture. Crazy refreshing and drinkable for what it is. Definitely for pickle enjoyers only. Review is based on how well they hit the mark, rather than that this is a “world class” sour

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Let me get this out of the way first and foremost - for me, the smell and taste is overwhelmingly pickle brine!

My first instinct was that even though I like pickles, and I love Plan Bee, I really don't like this beer. At least cold out of the fridge. When it warmed, it got a little more palatable and the pickle briny taste mellowed out a bit and I grew to appreciate it, but only so much.

I love what Plan Bee is doing, and this was my first foray away from a straight sour or generic type of wild beer, and into one of their more funky farm beers, and for that I applaud them. For a pickle beer - this was a huge success for two basic reasons i) because unlike most fruited wilds, you could actually taste the adjunct - and in a major way, and ii) it was drinkable - not quaffable, just drinkable and I enjoyed drinking it - I'll leave it at that. My high ratings reflect this, and the nice delicately tarty but not too puckeringly wild mouthfeel that you want with a well-done wild. Having said that, for me this was a complete and sheer novelty - I would never get it again - but am sure glad I got and when I get back to brewing myself, might even try to do something like it (albeit pickles would likely be last on the list of adjuncts I would think of to brew with...!) Cheers!

4.91/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing beer!!!!! The pickle taste/dill is just perfect! There is plenty of sour taste that just adds to the overall deliciousness of this beer. Two huge thumbs up to Evan and Plan Bee!!!!

Pickle from Plan Bee Farm Brewery