Crystal Persuasion | SoMe Brewing Company

SoMe Brewing Company
Maine, United States
somebrewingco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Not an IPA. Not a regular Pale Ale. Its a DOUBLE at 8.2%. This beer focuses on the balance between the Hops AND Malt. This beer is a surprising crowd pleaser.

Added by Cavanaghty on 01-03-2014

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by JAFoley:
3.22/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours a deep cloudy and murky amber body with nice dense off-white head. Retention is really nice and lots of nice lacing.

S - Lots of citrus, orange and grapefruit. Also some spiciness.

T - Mild citrus hop upfront with some doughy malts. Flavors are surprisingly bland and disappear incredibly fast. No real lasting aftertaste.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Somewhat thin and in no way sticky.

O - The beer drinks very much like ok homebrew. I've never drank a beer with flavors that recede so quickly. And the flavors that are there lack character and punch. There's no off-flavors and the beer is definitely drinkable. It could just use some improvements. I want to like this more considering SoMe is local to me, but I don't dig it enough to justify a $7.50 price tag plus tax.

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nice solid beer from a fun brewery that I look forward to trying their beers. Very nice look of amber. Slight lacing. Not much head and what there was when I poured disappeared soon. Several tastes going on for me, most of it good but there is a "tad" of a sweet taste in there that I was just ok with. I'm most certainly could feel the "double" for the ABV. I should put a disclaimer in for all my reviews about smell. I am almost 70 and my smeller just ain't good so I rate almost every beer's smell at 4. Overall feel was almost silky. I would buy this again.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a thin white head and mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild citrus and hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of bitter hops.

Overall: Decent Imperial Pale, not the best I have had, but it is good and went down smooth.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

from 16 oz can - couldn't find date on the can, but bought from Spruce Creek Provisions a week ago

Looks deep clear amber on the pour (no haze) with a 2 finger frothy tan-white head. Spotty lacing. Nicely carbonated to the point there is a mini tornado inside the glass.

Aroma is weak for me in terms of hops - though I gather from others it has hints of citrus - all I get is a spicy scent which is not a bad thing. They claim on the can it has a "very citrusy nose". Not for me.

Taste is a very peppery with slight floral notes sitting atop an overly sweet malt backbone and low bitterness (as expected). I happen to like sweet malts so this is a pleasant beer for me in that regard, but be aware that this is more sweet than the average pale ale. The aftertaste fades quickly into a very slight peppery tingle on the sides of the tongues that is reminiscent of bourbon-aged beers but clearly not the same source. I do not enjoy this after taste and I am not seeing the "balance between the hops and malt" as written in the description here.

Mouth feel is smooth with a medium maltiness that fades quickly.

Overall its a mixed bag for me. I like some aspects, not others. It is not one I will reach for again given all the *awesome* beer available at the moment (and other SoMe beers is included in this list). I'd like to see them experiment a little more in another direction and let this one go.

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer, pours a hazy orange, lots of lacing. Smells mostly of citrusy heaven with a bit of spice. Listed as that weird Imperial Pale Ale category that I wish they'd eliminate. it's a solid, go-to IPA. Crisp & bubbly, pretty great overall. This is a great flagship from a great new brewery.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hmmmm...not sure why this is categorized as an Imperial IPA on here...starting to get a bit confused with Double IPA status vs Double Ale status. There's a difference to me at least when marketing a beer as a Double IPA and a Double Ale. That being said, I think this constitutes a Double Ale just fine. Pours a clear copper with a creamy slightly orange head. Aroma is creamy, caramel and some earthy/citrusy hops. Taste is sweet- the citrusy hops and creamy/caramel malts blend well together. Somewhat of a bitter finish. Feel is medium with medium carbonation. Overall, malt forward with plenty of hops to be accounted for. Will definitely look more into this brewery.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%