Saint Arnold Christmas Ale | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: Old Ale

A rich, copper colored, hearty ale perfect for the holiday season with a malty sweetness and spicy hop character. The generous use of five different malts is responsible for the full flavor and high alcohol level of this beer.

Added by kbub6f on 11-12-2001

Liked:
3.7/5
Alströms:

1.5/5  rDev -59.5%

1.5/5  rDev -59.5%

2.39/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear copper with moderate carbonation. Thick offwhite head that settles down to a thin layer and leaves nice raised lacing. Aroma is a lot of sweet with some toasted notes and piney hops. Some fruitiness I can't put my finger on. Kind of a strong almost chemically tinge in the nose. Tastes like when a kid pours too much sugar in the Kool-Aid. Lots of toasted malt with cocoa hints. Hops don't show up as much as in the smell, but I get a little pine and even less citrus. Really sickly sweet without enough character to justify it. Mouthfeel is syrupy and slick, which adds to the gag factor of the flavor profile. This is hard to finish for me.

Quite different from what I remember, having it on tap, but it grosses me out just the same.

2.46/5  rDev -33.5%

Thanks to my friend from Houston for bringing me this beer.

Poured into a pint glass. Nice rich brown/copper color. Slightly translucent with orange hints. Thick khaki head.

Nose is yeasty and doughy, with malt. Very slight spice, maybe anise. Overall quite bready.

Taste is old malt, kind of a stale ricey quality. I don't pick up much in the "christmas" department. Slightly metallic even. Not good.

Dry and thin mouthfeel. Acidic tasting.

Can't say I like this beer...

2.52/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of the more nondescript "craft" beers I've had in some time. Pours root beer brown with virtually no head.

Smell is not much...but what there is smells distinctly like sour milk. Not milk that's weeks past its expiration date, but milk that is clearly on the way to going bad in a day or so.

That same sourness us there in the taste. It isn't vile. It isn't even overly offensive. But that's all I get from it beyond a little more carbonation than I expected.

What in Hell is Christmas about this thing is beyond me. Half a notch up from a Bud....but that's about it.

2.67/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured in to a pint glass

A: Pours a deep amber color. There is no head and no lacing.

S: I smell a little spice and a hint of cherry.

T: It tasted like they made a beer and then thought oh if we put spice in it we can call it a christmas beer. I also tasted some cherry in it. I just felt like it wasn't blended as well as it could have been.

M: Smooth with a dry finish. The taste lingers

O: The beer is ok, but I would pass over this for other holiday ales.

2.69/5  rDev -27.3%

Freshness date on the bottle is 10/08/10

Poured into a pint glass

Pours a light amber with one finger head that dissipates very quickly leaving a weak ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass

Aroma is faint but there are traces of spices and a sweetness not much else unfortunately

Almost sweet with a taste of cooked grains and a little bit of hops to finish it out

Not much to it, it's almost watery but is at least smooth and crisp

It's a serviceable beer, I could drink 10 of these with how smooth it is, that's not to say that I would though. It's not a bad beer but it is pretty bland.

I definitely would not have this at my Christmas dinner

2.81/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.82/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Pours a thin reddish orange. There is almost no head to this beer whatsoever. Absolutely no lacing as it drinks.

S: Smells of malt, spice (nutmeg), and a bit of booze. I'm also picking up just the slightest hint of cherry.

T: Not good. It taste like a lager that has had some spices dumped into it.

M: Light bodied beer. Finishes a bit hot.

O: Not a fan of this beer at all. It's like a spicy lager. No thanks. I've had other beers from Saint Arnold that have been outstanding, but this beer falls short for me.

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle

Pours deep red/copper with a very small Ivory head. Smell is not nearly as spicy or alcoholic as I expect in a Christmas beer, mostly just grainy/malty. Taste starts sweet and malty, but then turns quite astringent. Strong warming malt finish with a slight bitterness.

Like many of the other reviews, I enjoyed it a lot more when it had warmed up a bit.

Not bad, but really didn't give me what I wanted in a Christmas beer.

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rigid, reddish-orange that leans more towards red. Very mild head presence that fizzes away and becomes a white, soapy outline on the glass. Not much carbonation to be seen, if any. The first scent that immediately stands out is raspberries followed by chocolate, and a swirling mix of sweet malt and sugar. There is a very faint alcohol tinge, but not enough to detract from the score.

Ok, this beer is incredibly sweet, almost puckeringly so. There is an intense raspberry tartness that sits on the tongue while other sugars creep up to "fuel the fire." A light chocolate flavor in the finish is there to tug the reigns and tame this beast. The mouthfeel is interesting, because it feels like I'm taking a bite of a really rich dessert chocolate. Something so rich that it's good in small doses, but 12 ounces is a little too much for me.

2.92/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Saint Arnold Christmas Ale from Saint Arnold Brewing Company