Saint Arnold Christmas Ale | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: Old Ale

A rich, copper colored, hearty ale perfect for the holiday season with a malty sweetness and spicy hop character. The generous use of five different malts is responsible for the full flavor and high alcohol level of this beer.

Added by kbub6f on 11-12-2001

3.31/5  rDev -10.8%

Received a 12 FL OZ. bottle of this brew from cfh64 in a trade. Poured from the Green Labeled bottle w/ St. Arnold Enjoying a beer from a Glass Stein & praising Jesus for it into my 16oz Grand Teton Au Naturale Pint Glass. Has no freshness date on the bottle.

Aroma- Sweetness, especially apple juice, begin this one. Light spices and hops then come in at the end. Almost too artificially for me...

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger, bubbly head that dies fairly quickly. Has a deep-reddish/copper colored body with poor clarity. Leaves tons of suds behind.

Flavor- Has a ton of caramel and sweet malts but doesn't ever hit the hop category. Tons of light spices too. Light bitterness. Sweet and wet finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and has a sweet, caramel finish.

Overall Impression- Not sure whats going on with this one... A nice brew but a Winter Warmer... Couldn't even believe this one was 7% when I looked at it again. I wouldn't dis this one, just won't be going back to it and has some work to do.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Stamped 282-283/6 113011. I'm going to hazard a guess that means it was bottled on 30 November 2011?

A: Half a finger of head. Good bubbles. Amber brown, but transparent in the light.

S: Spiced fruit; slightly metallic.

T/M: I fear this may have set too long, or perhaps it wasn't very good to begin with. Either way, it's not quite what I think a winter warmer should be like. Strong and sweet, with flavours of molasses and dark fruit. Carbonated, but light in body, which conspires to downplay the sweet nature of the beer.

O: I suppose it's a little bit above average, stylistically, but in general, I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I suppose I'd drink another, but I'd have to be in the mood.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.46/5  rDev -33.7%

Thanks to my friend from Houston for bringing me this beer.

Poured into a pint glass. Nice rich brown/copper color. Slightly translucent with orange hints. Thick khaki head.

Nose is yeasty and doughy, with malt. Very slight spice, maybe anise. Overall quite bready.

Taste is old malt, kind of a stale ricey quality. I don't pick up much in the "christmas" department. Slightly metallic even. Not good.

Dry and thin mouthfeel. Acidic tasting.

Can't say I like this beer...

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%