Saint Arnold Winter Stout | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Added by kbub6f on 02-28-2002

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.07/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz poured into a pint glass
Appearance- Very dark brown, almost black with a 1 inch yellow-white head that lingers for a bit before fading, leaving some laces on the glass as it disappears.

Smell- Light malt, a bit of chocolate and coffee with a hint of some darker fruits

Taste- Choclate, prunes, coffee

Mouthfeel- Carbonated, bubbly on the tongue and a bit light on the body

Overall- A medium bodied stout, but a bit too much carbonation. This is a good beer to try, but its slightly 1 dimensional.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark very brown into my pint glass with about an inch of head that dissapates slowly. Some lacing but not much.

Liked the smell...roasted malts, some chocolate, roasted coffee, and fruit...maybe cherries?

Taste follows the nose, but a bite muted. Roasted malts, cocoa and coffee, some bitterness on the backend. This one's a bit too thin with too much carbonation for the style though.

Still, quite drinkable...a good session or introductory stout. I'm always glad to have a decent go-to Texas beer at my disposal.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, I missed out on the Pumpkinator but at least I can still have another good beer from Saint Arnold. You can never have too many stouts during the winter season and anytime I can get a good stout from a Texas brewery I'm all for it.

This is an easy stout to pour. Maybe that's because it's the last bottle I've poured from the six pack and I know exactly how to pour it. The head is foamy, tan-colored, and grows to about two fingers in height. Some remains on top throughout drinking and it looks sort of like cream swirls in coffee. There's just a tiny bit of lacing too. You can see through the beer that's the darkest of brown in color, but up to light it's a lighter reddish brown, though you can just barely see through.

I have a bit of a cold so my sense of smell will be hindered. I get mostly dark fruits and roastiness as well as sugary sweetness. Hops add a bit of tingly spiciness.

This is mostly a sweet and chocolate roasty stout. The roastiness lingers well after drinking which is a characteristic I always like in a stout. The sweetness is very much like candy (toffee?). The usual plum, fig, raisin trio of dark fruits add a bit of fruitiness. I'd say it's a little bitter as well but nothing too noticeable.

The mouthfeel is a bit too light for me as far as what I prefer with stouts, however, it is one of the most drinkable stouts I've had that isn't watery in feel. Carbonation is medium. It's pretty smooth overall and slightly sticky at the end from the sweetness.

The flavors are all there, though not too complex, it's not heavy enough for me, but it's very drinkable. So, if you want a good and drinkable stout then this is a good choice.

Saint Arnold Winter Stout from Saint Arnold Brewing Company