Saint Arnold Elissa IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: American IPA

Endeavour is a double IPA. The color is deep amber with a light, creamy head. The nose starts off with a touch of citrus but then turns decidedly into peaches. The taste starts off with creamy malt resulting from the pale 2 row and caramel malts and Saint Arnold yeast. The hop bitter starts low then builds to a crescendo, but always maintains a balance even in its big finish. The hop flavor continues to be peaches, an interesting manifestation of the Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial hops.

Added by TXHops on 05-14-2004

3.8

Ratings: 1,026 |  Reviews: 396

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip
(5/30/13 born-on date)

L: clear amber-orange with an emphasis on the orange ... tan head about 1-inch tall that's super thick and creamy with a slight bit of stick; does not lace on the way down; a remarkably clear brew -- proof that a craft brewery can gives us a crystal clear IPA

S: grainy when super cold but it opens up to some major sweetness ... the tropical fruit/mango/caramel kind of sweet from the cascade hops; when it warms up, the bready/yeasty malt shows up in the nose

T: hop bite! the first taste is a big bitter up front, but it smooths out and sweetens quickly; every now and then you get a hint of English malt ... the sweet bready kind of malt ... but that hint is a quick in and out; the rest of the time, the hops dominate this brew with loads of caramel/mango sweetness

F: good all around; perhaps just a shade on the light/watery side, but not bad by any means

O: cascade hops, so I read, are supposed to be citrusy -- they aren't in this brew. not at 60 days old, anyway, for my first six-pack of Elissa has had that sweet hop flavor that isn't piney, citrusy, grassy or spicy; it's the mango/starfruit/passion fruit/caramel kind of sweet hops flavor that still manages to come with a bite.

all in all, it's a fantastic, straight-forward American IPA that isn't over the top in any regard, a solid balance between the bitter and the sweet

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

I bought this as part of a build your own six pack at the Kroger on W Gray in Houston.

A - Poured a clear gold color into a pint glass. White head with some lasting along the edges of my glass.

S - I love the hop aroma of this beer. Smells crisp and fresh and ready to drink.

T - Hops all the way through but enough of the malt balances it out so you are not overpowered. Hops are clarifying as you drink, definitely getting some citrus as I continue on.

M - I would say this has a medium mouthfeel. There also feels like a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very drinkable and smooth, I like that the hops are not so strong as to wear your taste buds out. I could have had several more.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours a clear, copper hue with a two finger head. Head retention is decent but lacing is minimal.

S - Smell is full of grapefuit and other citrus fruits with a strong floral hop aroma as well.

T - Taste consists of a strong, piney/woody hop bitterness followed by a mininal, biscuity malt backbone. The hops really dominate throughout and linger until the beer finishes crisply.

M - Medium body with an overall smooth mouthfeel.

D - Pretty drinkable considering how unbalanced it is. The mix of citrusy aromas and woody hop bitterness makes for an inviting American IPA.

Good job, Saint Arnold. One of their best brews, IMO.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Ruby color, hazy, fluffy white head.

S - Floral and fruity hops aromas, hint of maltiness, caramel.

T - Sweet flavor, not very bitter, butterscotch notes. Nice hop flavor, without overwhelming bitterness.

M - Light body, very nice and clean, very well carbonated.

D - I really enjoy this. Not as hoppy as most IPA's, but extremely drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

My first Texas beer review! One of many beers I brought back from a recent business trip to Dallas, although only two (this and some Ugly Pug) were actually Texas brewed. I've got a bunch of these left, but I figured I'd get on it early. Plus, I had Indian food for dinner and this beer goes GREAT with spicy curry. Yum!

Caveat for the reader: I'm new to "real" IPAs (read: not Alexander Keith's), so a big bitter/hop fan might rate this higher than I.

Anyway -- poured from a little stubby bottle into a standard pint glass. Very clear, transparent orangy-amber with a half-inch head that fades to nothing, leaving no residue (although it was a lousy pour, so don't take my word for it in this case).

Smell is nice, although probably typical IPA -- citrus, grass, hops. I also detected some strawberries and peaches in there.

Taste is quite bitter (a plus in this case!), with flavours of hops, pine, grass, and earth. Not much citrus flavour once you get past the smell, which surprised me. Mouthfeel is smooth with relatively high carbonation. Aftertaste is... interesting. Bittersweet is the best term I can come up with for it, although I know that doesn't say much. It lasts a while, so I think this beer would be good for a session sans food -- you wouln't want anything delicate after it, that's for sure -- a definite tastebud deadener.

I need to expand my IPA palette before I can really provide a comparitive review, but I'd probably buy this beer again the next time I'm in Dallas. Wouldn't go out of my way to search for it though.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

This one is from mhewes thanks mike.

12oz bottle poored into a pilsner glass.

Tight off white phomey head. Bright hazey orange lots of carbination. Smlls of tropical fruits, pine, flowers and very grainy breaded malts. Very ballanced with bitter stingy hop flovors in a grainy malted venue. Strange for an IPA nit what I'm used to but thoroughly enjoiyable. Decent mouth feel but huge carbinatoin, and pretty drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. No visible best before date (or, for that matter, listed ABV) but I figure the beer is about six months old. It's been in the fridge for a while.

A: Very light head, pinkish copper colour. Clear and gorgeous. Lots of small bubbles.

S: Strong and pleasant. Sweet fruits, raspberries. Flowery hops.

T: Hops are more astringent than expected, and a little bit vegetal. The maintaste is slightly grapefruity, malty-firm, and relatively short. The aftertaste is hoppy, dry, and feels stronger than 6.6%.

M: Crisp, clean, and smackworthy. Significant carbonation.

O: Solid American IPA. I might not go out of my way to find another one, but it's worth grabbing one if you see it.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On cask at the Gingerman:
Golden hazy cascading effect on the pour with a super creamy guinness like head that lasted the entire beer. Smell was very nice, bold fresh fruity hops. Taste was more than averagely hopped for an IPA, piney, citrusy, and resiny with minimal sweetness. When left to sit on the tongue, the carbonation was almost non-existant (due to it being on cask) I'm guessing I'd like this better bottled, or on draft and I'd definitely like to try it again. A good hoppy IPA worth trying, without a doubt.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Elissa looks rather sexy as she slides down the side of my glass and holds up three fingers of creamy white head... what does she mean? She delights my sense of smell with her perfume... is that pine? no. grapefruit? perhaps... she seems to have bathed in honey yestereve as well... and somehow her backbone is malty... have you been naughty Elissa? She seems to have an excellent sense of balance in the way she wears her scents... it's intoxicating. Makes me want to taste. mmm... she tastes of the same honey in her perfume, as well as the pine and grapefuit. it's all there. She feels smooth and full, and somehow leaves my mouth feeling a bit dry. It makes me want to indulge again. But what's this? bitter? bitter at the very end? Elissa! why must you treat me so? you are smooth, for certain, and enjoyable, and you fill my palate with rich and many flavors of pine, grapefruit, honey, and light malt sweetness. You are a goddess amongst your peers, but you seem somewhat weak... I'm sorry Elissa. you need someone else to hold you up. I'll raise you in my glass, and I'll be happy to taste you again, but alas... you cannot compete with the stone or the great divide. Farewell, sweet Elissa.

(and then I look at the bottle again and realize... it's a ship!?!?)

12oz bottle poured into a Ommegang chalice glass

Appearance- Tints of yellow, orange and red. 2 fingers of cloudy white head that dissipates into a very thin layer leaving spotty lacing.

Smell- Lots of juicy citrus with some bready malt.

Taste- Lots of buttery bread malts combined with juicy citrus fruit. Reminiscent of Smuttynose IPA.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with a good amount of carbonation that makes it a little heavier drinking then I like in an IPA.

Overall- A very well balanced IPA that may get discounted in hop heads books, but is very solid in mine.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Up front the appearance and aroma was very good. It pours a nice copper/amber color with a bubbly head. The head stuck to the sides of the glass and settled to a strong lace.
(temp 48 into a Sam Adams pint - to me it tasted best at temps between 48-53)

The aroma reminded me of pine needles and lively hops - as it got warmer there was more of a citrus grapefruit smell.

It was a bit strange, the beer looked great, smelled great, but the taste was not that great. I'm not saying it was not good, just not as good as the aroma and appearance. The bitterness and dryness was a little off. At first the taste had a pine hops flavor, however, when it got warmer the taste changed to a more grapefruit bitterness.

It had an oily hops feel to it with lively carbonation.

Overall, compared to other IPA's this one was a okay - I might even say run of the mill. However, the taste had a "Christmas tree" quality. I want to drink this in December or whenever I feel the need to revisit Christmas time. This beer may not be the best IPA out there but it will get high marks in drinkability and smell from me because it invoked a strong sense memory - Christmas time when I was a kid.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Golden amber color with a good white head that leaves slight lacing. Lots of pines in the smell. Great balance between hops and malts on this beer, fantstic piney hops. medium body and quite of bit of carbs. Great for the beer. Pretty good balanced ipa.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - a hazy bright orange pour. A small, pale orange head maintains a thin cap. Lots of floating particles throughout this beer.

Aroma - lots of pink grapefruit and pine resin. Very resilient aromatics, wonderful.

Taste - a brief sweet malt start goes nowhere before some serious hops kick in. Solidly bitter, pure grapefruit rind. Finishes dry with a strong grapefruit residual taste; A little harsh but tasty.

Mouthfeel - very smooth, hop oils make it glide over the palate. Average carbonation, well done overall.

Drinkability - tasty and intense. The bitterness is a little harsh and a under-developed for sessioning, but a good IPA nonetheless.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Tons of visible carbonation rise through the amber body and keep up the nice white head. Very beautiful. The aroma is a nice mix of grapefruit and piney hops. The flavor is really smooth. The bitterness is pretty low for an IPA but the flavor is great. Sweet citrus flavor dominates with a good caramel character. The body is pretty light. Decent beer all around.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Saint Arnold Elissa IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company