Saint Arnold Elissa IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by TXHops on 05-14-2004

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 1,013
3.11/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It just didn't have the bitterness and hoppy taste I like in my IPA's. Not a bad beer and would drink again but not something I would go searching for

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It has a nice copper color, nice light feel to it, but the taste was not what I expected and does not finish like an IPA. Solid, easy to drink beer but nothing special.

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Copper color with a respectable head. Smells of citrus and some pine. Taste is bold but surprisingly not as bitter tasting as the 60 IBUs would make you think. Overall a very tasty, easy to drink IPA.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a beige/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pine, some malts. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, a bit of pine, mild bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, kind of mild for the style, but an enjoyable beer nonetheless.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is an underrated Saint Arnold beer, it is the best year round beer they make (you could make an argument for Endeavor especially since it is now sold in 12oz 4 packs instead of just the bombers which is a better format but Endeavor started as a Divine Reserve limited release).

This is a good sessionable IPA and it kicks ass on cask.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%

L: Very nice pale amber color!
S: Floral smell. Pretty mild
T: Not nearly as powerful as most IPAS. Kinda sweet notes at first. Finishes off with some hoppy bitterness.
F: Medium to light feeling. Nice carbonation on the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Taste- nice crisp taste going down.
Mouthfeel- slight bitterness very mild hoppiness.
Appearance- Amber/reddish color slightly clear.
Scent- mild hoppiness, slightly floral
Overall- great IPA I recommend it to anyone learning to like IPA's

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

The first taste of bitter hit the back of my tongue and i was afraid my whole face was going to pucker. Right away i wondere if the beer is bad - but then the malty full goodness came through and the balance was very tasty. I like this beer

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Drank it straight from the brewery taps.
Amber color with a thick beige head with good retention and keeping a constant plate.
Aroma of caramels, American yeast, grapefruit, passion fruit, mild pine and spices.
Nice hoppy flavor with notes of grapefruit, pine cones, resin, toasted and caramels malts, mango, mild spices and grass. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Light to medium body with appropriate carbonation.
Positive surprise from this brewery. Superbly balanced, it has all the flavors I like in an IPA and they don't predominate over each other. Good blend between pine and tropical.
Ap.3,75 Ar.4 Sab.4,25 Sens.4,5 Cj.4,25

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

12oz Brown bottle bottled on 07/07/2014 with twist-off cap featuring "Kölsch call" text; poured into a Saint Arnold "Barrel" glass

Appearance: Pours a clear copper amber color with 1/2 finger of white head which develops into a fine lace

Smell: Piney, earthy Hops and slight maltiness

Taste: Full hop flavor of cascade hops, very earthy; the bitterness comes in the middle and then has a clean finish with a slight crystal malt note

Mouthfeel: Appropriate carbonation; bitter but not harsh

Overall: This is a prototypical IPA in my opinion. There is an assertive hop bitterness but is well balanced by the malt bill. This can easily be overshadowed by modern and recent American-style IPAs but this gets just the right balance down so that it can be enjoyed by both hop-heads and more causal drinkers.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Had the Elissa in DFW airport with a lot of time on my hands. Tried a bunch of Texas beers on the trip and was mostly disappointed. The St. Arnold's ended up being the best brewery I tried. The Elissa had a copper color with an ok head and lacing.

The taste upfront was very enjoyable. Hoppy, rye and hints of citrus. The back end hit more piny, evergreen type west coast IPA notes, which I don't enjoy as much. Just personal preference. If the piny ipa's are you thing then add on a couple points to this review.

Overall, pretty good beer, and enjoyable. Not sure how often I'd fill my beer fridge with it, but I'd definitely get it again on draft at a restaurant.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No fru-fru review here. Had this beer on tap in an ice-cold glass. Paired outstanding to Kobe-beef sliders with blue cheese. I can think of no other type of beer other than an IPA that can stand up to beef and blue cheese.
Beer was deep gold and hoppy with a smooth swallow and long-lasting bitter-hop aftertaste, even through the blue cheese. Carbonation was mild in the mouth and after swallowing. A seriously full-bodied IPA that will leave a smile on the face of any Hop-Head. Definitely a DFB - Damned Fine Beer.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Arrives in a liter "stein" with a beautiful copper color with a voluminous tan head that leaves copius lacing as it even settles to a thick film.
Smell is a nice mix of floral and evergreen hop notes with a mild, malt in the background. Good balance and not over-powering.
Same with the taste. The hops assert themselves but do not overwhelm the other flavors. The same evergreen-floral hop presence with malt taking a supporting role. The alcohol makes itself known without being pushy.
Medium bodied, medium effervescence. smoother than many IPAs, and less drying than many, as well, though both characteristics are still well represented. For a non-IPA person, I really like this brew. Need to try the Imp. IPA next, I reckon.

Served on-tap in a non-descript tulip. About a one-finger light tan head over a clear amber - orange body. Nice lacing along the top of the glass.

Pleasant hop aroma of pine resin and lemon grass. Slight note of bready malt in the background.

Tasty flavor that includes hop-centric IPA flavors of pine cone, grassy notes, and light citrus, especially grapefruit.

Medium thickness in the mouthfeel with a lighter hop oil texture. Overall, a very solid IPA that I would gladly keep in my fridge.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Temp around 45 degrees fahrenheit

A- golden orange, medium carbonation, one inch of head which fades after a few drinks

S - sweet biscuit

T- pine and citrus

M- smooth with a small bite at the end

O- Probably one of the most consistent beers I drink. Served from a Chimay chalice. This is the beer that I consistently go to and recommend for a basic IPA

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Dark gold color with a okay head
S-citrus smell with a strong hop aroma and a slight malt coming in
T-heavy pine, light malt that goes to a pine resin aftertaste that stays with you til the emd
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O-I like this beer it had most everything I look for in an IPA. I think i need to try a few more to make sure

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Burnished gold, somewhat hazy, with a half-finger of off-white head and modest visible carbonation.

S: Tropical fruit, melon, and citrus hops with some grainy bready malt and just a touch of medicinal and vegetal aroma.

T: Bitter citrus, a medicinal astringency, resinous hops, light malt with a strange amount of graininess for IPA (rather than APA). A pithy to featureless bitterness in the hang.

M: Medium body, good carbonation sensation, and a subdued alcohol presence.

O: Not my favorite IPA for sure, though not undrinkable. The medicinal and astringent flavors really do detract some for the beer. I'm a bit disappointed for sure.

2.89/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a snifter. Bottled on 5/31/13.

The head on Elissa built to a solid inch, but retention was lacking. Now the foam has been reduced to a ring. The lacing is thick and plastic-y. Golden- amber body looks really nice though!

First aromas are solvent and flowery, combines to make a scent similar to nail polish remover. An earthiness is present underneath that rather unpleasant smell. I am not detecting much else out of the glass.

This IPA starts earthy, flowery, and even has a nutty flavor. I know this is brewed with Cascade hops, but I am not detecting much citrus. The bitterness is decent, and is more resinous than piney.

The lighter side of the body is most noticeable. It is appropriate, but does not jive with the growing bitter finish, Elissa seems quite dry because of this.

I am pretty sure this IPA is just fine when consuming a fresher bottle. It is reviewed well enough. I would gladly give this one another try. It is not undrinkable as is, but pretty close.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with a thin white head.

Smell: Mild citrus, pine, and hops

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Bitter hops and pine, with a mild citrus sweetness. Strong bitter after taste.

Overall: Pretty good IPA, I would definitely have this one again.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle provided by the brewery ahead of their Florida debut.

Pours a medium amber in color with a big off-white head that reduces to a slender layer in my glass.

Mild citrus/metallic hop aroma.

Nicely bitter, with caramel and biscuit flavors from the malt. Sharp, metallic/bitter aftertaste. Very nice. I like IPAs like this one, that aren't super dry.

Good body, almost hefty.

Overall a very good IPA that can compete with the best of them. Will it outprice itself against the superb Sierra Nevada Torpedo?

3.2/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

a very very average ipa. nothing special here at all, and I have a fairly fresh bottle. nice orangey gold glow on the pour, and my globe gives it a good looking inch of white head with solid retention. nose of grassy hops, but everything is really in the background, almost stale. understated in smell and taste to the point of boring. this is an ipa man, assert yourself! balanced again, to the point of not being interesting, and the hops just don't pop for me. medium bodied and sort of creamy and expansive, but this has very little happening for me. I took four days off from drinking beer, a periodic reset for the guts, and all I wanted was a good ipa. this failed me on so many levels, and honestly, a 3 overall is generous. its just missed the mark in every facet. good feel though for a session ipa. saint Arnold has some work to do on their basic lineup...

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review and I am a little hesitant because there are so many advanced beer connoisseurs present. I have been enjoying beer for many many years but have only gotten into the craft beer thing more deeply within the last year or two. More than anything, I know what I like and what I don't like. I am reading and educating myself about all of the terms and nuances related to becoming an expert myself. Having said that I will review this beer.

I really like just about everything that I have tried so far from Saint Arnold's. This beer is no exception. I do think that there needs to be a bit more carbonation because it is barely more than flat. Nonetheless, the carbonation is present and I let the brewery know I think it needs a little more carbonation. Not being an expert I am not sure that my suggestion to them is right as more carbonation might kick something else into the red zone.

(11/29/13-Follow up on the carbonation issue. I just purchased another six pack and this one definitely has a lot more carbonation that the first one reviewed. I am drinking it from a tulip and there is a little geyser going from the bottom to the surface leaving a thin pillowy head. There is also a nice rather oily lacing. Much better!)

I placed this beer in the bottom of my fridge where it does not freeze but gets very cold. I poured it into a 12 oz Saint Arnold's glass I procured on a tour of the brewery. There was almost no head and no lacing to speak of. The nose of this beer is what I would call bright and hoppy. It is a bit strong but it seems that the hops hide the ABV. This is good.

I like this beer. I can say that I love beers that are balanced and smooth and filled with interesting flavor. This beer is in that category. The hops are very distinct and way up front and last even into the aftertaste without being offensive in any way.

This beer is something I will drink regularly. Enough extra ABV to be fun with a very interesting and refreshing flavor.

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear light golden amber with a big pillowy off white head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is bready, biscuit malts and fruity, grassy hops (cascade?).

The flavor is milder than expected - some sweet bready, biscuit malts with a little fruit and a decent grassy, slightly metallic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK IPA - too much biscuit malt and not enough hop flavor.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Saint Arnold Elissa poured a nice golden amber with lots of floating sediment which seemed a little strange, but it did not detract from the brew. The Elissa had a bitter hoppy flavor that was diligently balanced by a strong malt body. It was a nicely balanced beer that didn’t try to overwhelm me with hops, but struck a delicate balance. This is an easy drinking and thirst quenching IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saint Arnold
12oz bottle to English pub pint
BW 20130508 (bottled on?)

A – A very clear amber. Quickly subsiding head, that leaves just a thin layer on top. Very few bubbles rising. The clarity is astounding.

S – The fruits are the stars in this aroma. Some piney, resinous hop smells riding along with some nice fruit. Pineapple, orange, and grapefruit (I think). Also, a slightly musty kind of light smell from the malt. Like a very light vanilla smell, with a dash of brown sugar.

T – Nice hop flavors come through, first followed by the fruit, and then they share the spotlight well, through the swallow and into the aftertaste. This is very enjoyable. The hops are represented by sweet grass and some light pine and spiciness, followed by a slight burst of citrus flavors: orange, pineapple, grapefruit. These flavors are supported by a light, slightly sweet malt backbone that only shows its head right after the citrus burst. As you swallow, the sweetness gives way to the fruit mainly, and then the slight pine and resin taste comes back, balancing the fruit.

M – Heavy-light bodied, not very carbonated, I’d say under-carbonated slightly. Finish is average dryness. Sticks slightly close to the tongue without hugging it. Pretty slick feeling.

D – This is pretty close to the IPA I have been wanting to brew myself (in the future when I start brewing, though based on current preference). It has hop character but really gives it to you with some fruitiness. They go well together and the malt is happy to be hanging out on the side. There is a clarity to the smell and taste that I cherish, and influences my scoring of the beer.
4.25, 4.5, 4.75, 4, 4.5; 4.6.

Saint Arnold Elissa IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company