Bishop's Barrel 10

From:
Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Texas, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Bishop's Barrel 10Bishop's Barrel 10
Notes:
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 75 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Acquired as part of a trade, so it's aged but under unknown conditions. That said, it's still pretty delightful. I do get a hint of orange gumdrop on the nose that is common for oxidized barleywines, but on the whole, I would say it's complementary to the still-present Centennial and dry-hopped Simcoe, providing some brighter notes that balance out the dark stonefruit of the base. The Woodford Reserve barrels also pack a bit of a punch, lending some light oak tartness and boozy vanilla and spice. Probably would have been better when fresher, but I'm still quite enjoying it now.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark mahogany with a pinky finger of off white to tan head. Very little carbonation
Raisins, black plums, raw honey, oak, slight char
Follows nose but more of the bourbon comes through. . Alcohol sweetness on the finish
Feel is medium plus

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really nice sweet barleywine. It had lots of dark fruits and brown sugar, with a good amount of barrel presence. It drinks a lot like BCBS BW, but was actually more palatable.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a ruby amber color. Aroma is slightly boozy, malty and a little sweet. Flavor is malty and caramel. Has a warm boozy fell and some sweetness. Finish id=s very smooth and overall this is a really nice beer.

Pours a dark brown color with deep dark ivory colored head. Bourbon, sweetness, caramel, and dark fruits on the nose; follows onto the palate. Full bodied and rich. Finishes with oak, bourbon, and dark fruit sweetness.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass at Zax in Austin.

Minimal head on the pour but some sticky oatmeal-colored lacing. The body is deep brown and lightens at the base. 4

Big bourbon aroma, oak, tobacco and oatmeal cookie. Thumbs up. 4.25

Bursting with bourbon flavor but with out the heat. Oatmeal cookie and raisins and prunes and brown sugar in the mix. Oaken for sure. 4.25

Has a bit of prickly carbonation and bourbon spice that eventually mellows out to a thicker, viscous, creamy and sweet brew. The finish lingers like a heavier spirit. Heat is there but well-buried. 4.25

Very well-made beer. Surprised to even find this. I guess the St. Arnold's strategy of spreading the beer around has been a success.

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.
I have LOVED every single bishops barrel beer I have had from St. Arnold. I don't know what they do but, something about every one of them just puts them in another category. The smell is the greatest part...until you taste it! I have a BCBW but I'm not sure how it could be much better than this!

3.88/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle poured into a glass.
SWEET BARLEY BOMB is all I got out of this one. Some oak and sweet flavors really not that impressive. Much prefer the BCBS Barleywine over this one..or even BB9.

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Just a guess with no background knowledge of this beer, but I am thinking this is 20th anniversary on bourbon barrels. The barrels add nicely to this beer and make it really enjoyable. Very oaky and malty. Smooth with vanilla and coconut. Warming and full bodied. One of my favorites from st Arnold's.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark red/mahogany color with no head and very little lacing. Very strong bourbon aroma. Hints of vanilla and what seems like figs. Malty bourbon taste with vanilla, caramel and figs (?). Medium bodied with very little carbonation. This is no doubt a sipping beer. May have done well to age a little more.

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%

Managed to find a few bottles. Poured a deep mahogany color. Immediately upon pouring into my Left Hand Stout glass the barrel aroma hits me. Bourbon notes with the warm caramel and slight toffee overtake me. I noticed the carbonation was pretty high. It started bubbling like a soda. Flavor was slightly sweet. I picked up slight caramel with some fruits but I can not really put a finger on it. Carbonation made this kinda dance on the tongue almost kinda prickly. This is not the best BA barley wine out there but I really enjoyed this. Very drinkable at 14% as the alcohol was not too hot. Personally I wish that it was a little more viscous but that is just my personal preference. I have only had #9 and so far I am impressed. If you can find this pick it up. Was it worth the $5.49/bottle I paid? I am not sure but a very enjoyable beer!

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Edit: After several months, this has already aged incredibly. Wood, dark fruits, caramel, chocolate all shine along with being ultra smooth. Incredibly well integrated and balanced for such a big beer. Uping the score across the board, it is becoming one of my favorites of the series.

A: Pours a ruby red color. A one finger white head forms, and recedes in a second. Not much, but a few patchy spots of lace.
S: Sweet caramel malts up front. Wood, vanilla, a bit more sweetness from the barrel. Fairly simple in the nose, but enjoyable.
T: Like the nose, caramel malts, fairly sweet, with vanilla flavors from the barrel. Light fruity flavors and wood. Actually, much more dark fruits than the nose. I like it.
M/O: A full body, but a surprising amount of carbonation. Prickly on the tongue. Though as this breaths, much more smooth. While not perfect, this is incredibly easy to drink, especially for the strength. I guess that is the MO for most Bishop's Barrel releases.

Fairly simple, but still really well defined. If that makes sense. Everything works really well, and great balance. Not to sweet, not over barring barrel character. Maybe not the best BB, but really good none the less. I will be looking for more when I get a chance.

Bishop's Barrel 10 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company