Saint Arnold Texas Wheat | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Style: German Kristalweizen

Added by BeerAngel on 07-13-2002

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a very clear golden color with no head to speak of. Aromas of bready yeast, bubblegum/banana and a hint of caramel.

Taste: Hard to pin this one down. Light flavors of bananas and biscuit, a little bit of hop spice towards the end, and slightly tart in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: This one is a little on the thin side...carbonation is about right though. Not that great of a mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Yes.

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%

A big cheers to fellow BA dungaree who was exceptionally generous in shipping this brew to NY. Cheers to you man!

Comes in a 12oz twist top bottle with no best by date. Pours a clear gold pilsner-like color, but almost no head whatsoever. Taste is adequate, with moderate Saaz-like hops. Slight fruitiness apparent. Malt profile is light. Aftertaste is almost bland, perhaps just a touch acidic. This reminds me somewhat of a uninteresting pale ale. Other than the aftertaste, there are no obvious flaws to the flavor of this brew. But there isn't enough interest here for me to look for another.

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a slightly darker than expected color into a Weizen glass from a 12oz bottle. Smell was non-distinct to absent. Taste was disappointing as I look forward to sampling any Weizen that I can get my hands on. Reminded me of a micro version of MGD. The traditional Weizen flavors were missing and I continued to taste corn instead of wheat. Good balanced carbonation, but nothing noteworthy regarding its mouthfeel. Easy to drink, and potentially refreshing, but ultimately disappointing.

Just to ensure that my taste buds weren't fooling me, I went back to the refrigerator a pulled out a Franziskaner Club-Weisse for a Kristal Weizen point of reference. A couple of sips confirmed that the Saint Arnold was deficient, and not my taste buds. This was my second underwhelming experience with a Saint Arnold product (see my 3-17-2005 review of Saint Arnold Amber Ale). Hoping that my third time is a charm.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a deep golden hue. Has no head with good amount of bubbles. Smells of orange, lemon, lime, and light spicy hops.

Tastes of orange and lemon dominate the first sips. As it warms, nice malty taste peeks out. Nice mouthfeel as the carbonation and lemon tickle the tastebuds. Finishes with some gooeyness in the mouth. In the aftertaste, the hops become a bit more prevalent.

There's a taste I can't quite put my finger on that takes away from the experience-- almost a slight buttery taste at times. The St. Arnie's Spring Bock has the same taste only stronger. Maybe it's the malt, I don't know--- or maybe wonderful city of Houston water!

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer pours bright yellow color with a finger of head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is not all that great. I would like to see some hints of lemony citrus and banana and clove in a kristal weizen. This one is all grain, and smells harsh and not tasty. The flavor is just as grainey as the nose. I really really REALLY don't like the wheat malt without a hefe yeast. It just doesn't cut the mustard. It leaves weay too much of the grain flavor that dominates and drowns out any other flavors that may be there. The feel is moderate, which is a little redeaming. Overall, I think this is a beer that is really in the wrong category. I think the American Wheat category is a bastardization of what a wheat beer should be. At least there is a nice moderate, bordering on thick, feel. Man. I get too worked up over this wheat beer thing.

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a bright medium gold color, cyrstal clear (so the name isn't trying to be clever...). Fulffy white head with fairly good retention. Smell is very light and crips, maybe some cotton candy sweetness, and light hops. Taste is very malt intensive, slightly grassy and has a definite metallic twang to it. Not huge amount of hops on the backside. Decent beer, probably great for a hot summer's day in the Texas heat, not in a Minnesota winter. Thanks to assurbanipaul for the sample.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

I enjoyed this bottled a little more than I did on-tap at the brewery. It seems a little fuller and more complex this time around. Appearance is golden-orange, with average head. Aroma is of wheat, and a little bit of lemon and malts. Taste is initially wheaty with a malty finish with a strong hint of lemon. Lingering sweetness in the very end. This is very good for an evening of beering, seems I like Saint Arnold beers better in a bottle than on-tap at their brewery.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer is a dark gold color with a thin off-white head. Very light lacing. The aroma is faintly hopped with some apricot and malt thrown in. Light-bodied and easy to drink. The flavor is mildly wheaty, along with a bit of hops to give it a small bite. The finish is lightly bitter and sparkly. Overall this beer is not very complex at all but I found myself enjoying it a bit.

3.07/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - An almost straight pour produces almost no head. What little head that appeared soon disappeared. Color is light golden, and crystal clear, which is good. Good carbonation.

Smell - Light malty smell. I cannot detect hops. I also pick up just a hint of yeast aroma.

Taste - This beer is crisp and refreshing, but is still just okay. The flavor reminds me of macro-brewed beer for some reason. I pick up a tangy-mixed-with-wheat-sweetness flavor. Nothing about this beer screams WHEAT, and the taste is generally more subdued than other wheat beers I have had.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is perhaps a little weak. At first the beer seemed a tad watery, but as I drank, it sort of rounded out. Mouthfeel is probably appropriate for style.

Drinkability - Quite drinkable, but the aftertaste did not agree with me. For some reason, this one really reminds me of some sort of American maco-lager.

Comments - It has been remarked by my friends that Houston's (where this beer is brewed) water is the reason that I do not care for Saint Arnold's beers. This is my third sampling of Saint Arnold's, and although I found this one to be superior to the others, this beer has only a few good points to recommend it. Try quaffing a few of these on a hot Texas afternoon and you probably will not be disappointed.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy medium orange color (despite being a Kristal Weizen) with two fingers of head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell has lots of maltiness and wheat. Not too fruity like other weizens. The taste is very malty as well, with lots of wheat and yeast character. A bit of lemon and a little pepper on the finish. Not much going on in the hops department. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy for this style. The drinkability is good too. Not too bad of a kristal weizen.

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Orange/yellow with a small white head. Head is gone in a flash. Smells just off - a touch of fermented apricots or something like that.
Nice light flavor with a touch of citrus - maybe ahint of clove.
I suppose I'd drink one on a hot day with a lemon wedge thrown in - but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it! Well, actually, I imagine I could always find something I like more, so I just wouldn't buy it.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

12oz stubby brown bottle poured into a pilsner/small hefeweizen glass.

Appearance – Slightly cloudy golden with a white head that dissipated quickly.

Smell – balance of hops and yeast in the nose.

Taste – No taste detected until the finish, then sweet toasted notes are detected alongside subtle hops.

Mouthfeel – Very smooth, slightly heavy, and well carbonated.

Drinkability – Could I, and would I, want to drink a case of this? Yes. There’s not much complexity but it was a very smooth and balanced beer.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for this fine Texas beer.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The head is small, white, noisy, bumpy, the beer a clear, rich gold. Nuts and sugar in the nose. Starts with some nice bitter hops and a pleasant fruitiness. Sweet malt through the middle morphs into a bitter, hoppy finish. Quite nutty. This is fairly full-flavored: fruity, nutty, bitter. Nice.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled in a 12 oz. bottle.

This Kristal wheat poured a pale sun yellow with a slight haze and a very small, white head. Left very little lacing and there was little head retention.

The aroma was of sweet malt and with hints of citrus and other fruits. Maybe some white grape thought I?m not positive on that.

The taste was malty with subtle wheat and hints of citrus and hops. Medium-high carbonation helps with a crisp mouthfeel and it had a slight hop bite at the end.

Thank you kindescut for the sample.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a light golden color, with virtually no head. Typical wheat aromas are found, with a hint of hop. The beer is very crisp, and has many characteristics of a pale ale. Very hoppy and slightly bitter, the malt sweetness helps balance things. The is slight carbonation to the beer, but nothing very outstanding. This isnt a bad beer, but its far from being great. Very thin, but quite refreshing. Overall its quite an average beer, however its much better than most other beers that I've sampled from Texas.

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%

Being a fellow Houstonian and supporter of this local micro-brewery, I'll try to be objective as possible.
Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with not much head.
Smells sweat and malty. Taste is malty with a hint of wheat and small hop bite at the end. The head leaves a thin lace down the glass. This is my second favorite St. Arnold's brew behind the Brown. A better than average wheat beer.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a clear pale golden color with almost no head. Aroma is sweet wheat and malt with a faint hint of citrus. It’s a bit thin in the mouth, but it is quite crisp and refreshing. Medium wheat flavors with a light hop bitterness in the finish. There are better American wheat beers out there.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a slightly hazed golden color with a small head that dissipates fairly quickly yet still leaves a lace down the glass. The smell is that of a faint wheat beer with some sweetness too. The taste is surprisingly refreshing with plenty of carbonation and hop bite with a toned down wheat flavor. Not too bad...but not great for the style. Cheers from Texas!

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last