Bishop's Barrel 16

From:
Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Texas, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Bishop's Barrel 16Bishop's Barrel 16
Notes: Bishop's Barrel No. 16 is another foray into the world of blurring beer and wine. We aged our Sorachi Ace Dubbel in Bordeaux red wine barrels - predominantly Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon - for 11 months in the presence of brettanomyces.

Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 49
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 11/23/2016. Pours moderately hazy/clousy deep reddish orange/copper color with a 1 finger dense and creamy light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation aromas of big lightly tart/tangy cherry, raisin, plum, prune, fig, date, apricot, red apple, red grape/wine, toasted oak, peppercorn, hay, straw, grass, caramel, brown sugar, roasted nuts, biscuit, and brown bread dough/crust; with lighter notes of toffee, leathery/musty Brett funk, and yeast/oak/toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity/funky/spicy yeast, red wine barrels, candi sugar, and dark/bready malt notes; with big strength. Taste of big lightly tart/tangy cherry, raisin, plum, prune, fig, date, apricot, red apple, red grape/wine, toasted oak, peppercorn, hay, straw, grass, caramel, brown sugar, roasted nuts, biscuit, and brown bread dough/crust; with lighter notes of toffee, leathery/musty Brett funk, and yeast/oak/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate peppery yeast, oak/wine tannin spiciness; and light wine/Brett tang/tartness on the finish. Lingering notes of tart/tangy cherry, raisin, plum, prune, fig, date, apricot, red apple, red grape/wine, toasted oak, peppercorn, hay, straw, grass, caramel, brown sugar, roasted nuts, biscuit, and brown bread dough/crust, light toffee/leathery/musty Brett funk, and yeast/oak/toasted on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/funky/spicy yeast, red wine barrels, candi sugar, and dark/bready malt flavors; with a fantastic malt/spiciness and tart/tangy wine balance; with no cloying, puckering, astringent flavors after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering yeast spiciness, and wine acid/tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Medium-plus carbonation and medium-full body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/bready, and fairly acidic/tangy/tannic mouthfeel that is fantastic. Minimal warming alcohol for 8.4%. Overall this is a fantastic barrel aged dubbel! All around fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/funky/spicy yeast, red wine barrels, candi sugar, and dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink for the ABV, with the mellowly spicy/acidic/tangy/tannic/srying finish; amazingly soft feel for the style, and not overly tannic. Amazingly well rounded Brett/Belgian yeast complexity, and red wine barrel presence/integration; with a great balanced candi sugar, and bready malt backbone. Light residual sweetness with crisp drying. A highly enjoyable offering, and amazing spot on style example. Really loved this one. This definitely aged amazingly.

3.19/5  rDev -17.4%

I traded for this 12 oz. bottle because I don’t do my research & I’m not too bright. That’s OK. Time to clean out the fridge! Split with my wife. She’ll hate it.

The pour is murky brown-red. Smells lovely, with a big wine note. That’s it, though.

Bishop’s Barrel #16 is exactly as advertised. The dominant wine barrel goes sideways, with the bugs providing a tart finish. Drier than bones bleached in the Sahara. I do believe that about 2 ounces of this would have been sufficient.

As written, this sounds like an epic train wreck. Instead, I found something that was simple & direct. Decent enough brew.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Looks good. Nice color. Has an odd smell bordering on vinegar but sweet. Taste is complex with the wine kicking in. Some fruit like dates or raisins. Has a bite to it. It seems an odd beer to me. The wine throws off my beer senses maybe because I'm not much of a wine consumer. Overall this is a good beer but it would be a rare treat for me. Poured into a Chalice. Bottle dated 11/23/16.

2.77/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Tasted infected to me. very sour which ruined the rest of the flavor profile. I could even smell the tartness. Bought 3 bottles. Returned 2. Too bad. #15 was one of my top 10 favorites.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks copper-brown in color and near still on the pour. Wine notes big on the nose with the dubbel malts behind it. Wine characteristics are a decent compliment to he beer and provide a unique flavor of wood and wine with the base beer. Finish is mildly bitter and the wood lingers. Medium body and light carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter, bottled on 11/26/16

Appearance: Deep ruby with 1/4 finger of head leaving a fine lace

Smell: toffee and some dark fruit with brett character

Taste: Red wine character up front with tannins and some oak the brett is more subdued than the aroma would suggest

Mouthfeel: dry and light bodied

Overall: A very interesting one for sure.... I find it enjoyable. From a style standpoint, this is a mess. Flavors are all over the place but don't seem to really mesh together. The wine flavor takes over. I have no clue how this one would develop over time. I appreciate Saint Arnold continuing to experiment.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear, but dark ruby red, almost brown color. A two finger white head forms with good retention initially. That gently recedes with some lace left behind.
S: Tart cherries up front and light funk in the nose. Some wood, vinous, and buttery. I am assuming the butter aroma come from the wine barrels.
T: Like the nose, tart and lightly funky. Cherries and grapes. More buttery than I would like. Again, I think that is from the wine barrel and don't think it is diacetyl from the beer, cause that is never in anything Saint Arnold makes. Though maybe in the wine barrels, which is a little much for me.
M/O: A medium body with crisp carbonation. Fairly smooth at the same time. The buttery notes are throwing me for a loop here. Not bad, but not something I am looking to come back to.

Cheers for an interesting idea, but I don't think I am a fan of the wine barrel used. Well made other than that, but among my least favorite Bishop Barrel releases. I don't think I am alone in that opinion, but I think it speaks volumes that something being well made like this just is not as "good" as the rest in this fantastic series. Then again, some people probably like that buttery wine character. Can't please everyone all the time though :)

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip

Appearance: brown with ruby hues and a 1-finger (maybe) light-tan head that fades quickly, leaving only a collar at the edge of the glass.

Aroma: malt sweetness with very little, if any, of the flavors present in the nose.

Flavor: bold with a considerable amount of roast flavor. Is roast appropriate to style? Very malty with dark chocolate notes in the finish. No dark fruits and minimal sweetness. Absolutely no Belgian yeast characteristics/flavor.

Mouthfeel: as expected. On the heavier side of medium. 2+ would be a meal.

Overall: I’m disappointed. This beer seems more in line with a bock than a dubbel. I don’t like bocks, and I don’t care for this beer. This beer possesses nothing enjoyable. I would not purchase this beer again, and I would discourage others from buying it. The only thing that excites me about this beer is I get to add a Texas bottlecap to my bottlecap wall map.

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into snifter. Pours a deep copper brown with a thin white head, fading to a medium thin collar. Good, spotty lacing. Aroma is cherries, hint of molasses, yeast. The flavor is also cherry forward with malt and red wine notes. It sits thin in the glass but whips into a fuller, malty body with medium carbonation. Slick mouthfeel. The flavor matches the nose, but isn't something that knocks your socks off. I feel like it's missing one key element to give it a memorable palate. Not a bad beer, and perhaps will be better with time.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very cloudy dark brown/copper color with a thin carbonated head. Head retention is minimal. Lacing is good. Aroma of Belgian yeast, red wine and slight tart cherry. Good but different. Definite Belgian Dubbel taste, slight tart cherry with a dry red wine aftertaste. Not bad, but not my favorite of the BB series. Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Seemed like an odd beer being a Dubble aged in red wine barrels with brett, but I bought one anyway. Not all that great, possibly my least favorite of the BB series so far. The best part of this beer is the nose, tart cherries and brett hit me first. The taste is what doesn't do it for me, a bit malty with some sweetness from the red wine barrel and then the brett at the end. It just doesn't go together all that well. Seems to get a bit sweeter as it warms. Fun to try as always but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Bishop's Barrel 16 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company