Icon Series: Texas Wheat

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
jngrizzaffi from Texas

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Back to one of my original beers I started drinking when I started drinking craft. Pours a hazy golden color with a thick foamy head. Head retention is decent. Lacing is good. Wheat and grainy aroma with some slight clove. Crisp and clean taste. Light bodied with definite clove and banana. Wheat with some cereal grains at the end. Although my tastes have changed drastically since this beer was originally available, it is still a refreshing beverage.

Dec 01, 2018
champ103 from Texas

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

They have brought back the original Texas Wheat, and rumor has it this will be the last of the Icon Series. Too bad, as the series itself has usually been very good. 4.9% ABV and a German Kristalweizen.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden/yellow color. At first a two finger white head forms with good retention and light lace is left behind.
S: Light lemon rind up front, a touch of clove peppery spice. Then cereal grains and doughy biscuit malts take over.
T: Light lemon rind, just a touch of banana and clove all intermingle with cereal grains and biscuit malts. The grainy character tends to take over in the finish.
M/O: A light body with very crisp carbonation. Super clean and smooth at the same time. Not hard to drink, I remember putting a lot of these away back in the day. I could do that here if in the mood.

The original Texas Wheat was one of my first Saint Arnold beers I tried when I moved down to Houston. I think I drank it then more because there was not many options around. As such I always felt this is a fine serviceable beer, just not exceptional in any way. Good to grab another six pack just for nostalgia, but this will probably be a one and done for me, as Live Oak, the new Celis, and Weihenstephaner are pretty much staples in my fridge now.

Jun 07, 2018