Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #6 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Style: American Barleywine

Added by BgThang on 06-11-2008

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Medium brown hazy body with lighter highlights abounding. A thin spotty head that leaves some lacing.

Huge Simcoe hop aroma and quite a bit of sharp alcohol overpower the malt here.

Taste is hoppy, lots of hot alcohol, very slight cherry.

Mouthfeel is medium high carbonation, sticky and coating.

This will be a very good beer in a year or four once the hops die down. When the malt shows up, we'll have a party. It's just too young right now. I got a case of this, so definitely a cellar dweller for a long time to come.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Received a bottle of this in a very nice and generous LIF....Thanks for the opportunity to try this Hopsleeroy!
A-Pours a very nice deep cloudy amber-orange with a beautiful light tan/cream 1" colored head. Holding it up to the light reveals some orange highlights. Great color for a barleywine...
S-Beautiful aromas of caramel, pine, grass, with the vaguest hints of apple juice and lemon/orange.
T-Sweet malts, buttery toffee, and brown sugar/caramel start out with a lingering bitterness of piney, herbal hops to finish it off. It's a hair on the muddled side but pretty balanced overall.
M-Creamy and smooth with a perfect thickness, coating but not too thick.
D-Despite the higher ABV, this goes down smooth and tasty. I'd easily be willing to have a few more although I might pay for it later....
This is a very very solid Barleywine and another great effort from the Saint Arnold Brewing Company.

3.91/5  rDev -4.4%

A grassyass goes to BallewBlake on this one. Pours a foggy amber with a crème head. Nose is mild. Flavor is spicy with alcohol kick. Definite hop character going on. On the earthy side. Minor tangy back side. But like I said, the alcohol is pretty noticeable here. Malt backbone is very noticeable as well. Feel is smooth on carbonation and liquid. Nice to drink. Another year to three should do some wonders for this one as it's a little bit too young and hot at the moment.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Served from bottle into snifter

A - Dark brown red with small tan head and good lacing

S - Hops with some caramel and pine

T - Taste just like it smells hops, caramel, and pine, no real burn for how strong it is. Very tasty

M - smooth medium with some carbonation

D - Good for a barely wine can have several in a sitting.

I have some I am cellaring and will update as I open new ones

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A blast of sharply herbal / pine notes greets my nose as soon as I pop the cap from this beer. A solid pour produces a three-finger thick, amber tinged, tan colored head. As the head slowly subsides, sticky layers of lace are left on the sides of my 25cl tulip glass. The beer is a light cherry-tinged, full amber color that shows a hazy, deeply red stained, gold color when held up to the light. The aroma is just thick with hop aromatics; candied grapefruit zest, candied pine needles, herbal hemp oil (especially towards the finish, though at times it can be the dominant all-around aroma), washed out orange juice, tangelo and lychee. Buried under all the hop character is a rich malt backbone that has deeply caramelized notes, substantial toasted grain notes and a nice biscuit-like aroma. I really like the expressive, punchy hop character that this beer has; it just about knocks your socks off and then dry humps your taste buds. Incredibly aggressive aromatics, even harsh (especially if you are not a hop-head), this is for the hop lover who is a bit masochistic.

The aggressive hop notes are continued in the flavor; sharply bitter, massive herbal notes, substantial tongue puckering pine and a backdrop of dank hemp oil. Underneath the scathing hop character are softer, yet still substantial hop notes of Curacao orange zest, lychee, tangelo, and caramelized tangelo. This has a big body to it that is necessary to stand up to the hop character; viscous, chewy and thick though at times it is not noticed because of the huge hop notes. Along with the body is a substantial, yet purely supporting malt character that provides flavors of toffee, caramelized malt sugars, toasty-biscuit-malt and dusty bread crust flavors. At times, especially as it warms up, this has a striking hop-fruitiness to it that competes quite deftly with the sharper hop notes; the finish is still aggressively, somewhat astringently, herbal leaning and bitter though.

This beer is scathingly hoppy, while it leans a bit more towards the harsh, astringent side of the hop spectrum than I would usually prefer, there is something here that just "scratches that itch". Quite enjoyable, even if it is a bit like self flagellation; I would even hazard a guess that on certain day this would be too much / too harsh for me, today though it is quite good and about the best I have had from this brewery.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Beautiful beer. I caught this on draft at Boondoggles two weeks ago, and have a few Six Packs aging now.

Appearance- Deep, translucent, Carmel. Strong white head. Decent carbonation.

Smell- Hops aggressive smell, with a malty background.

Taste- This is a wonderfully assembled hop aggressive Barley Wine. This is the best Texas brew that has ever crossed my tongue! It starts on the front with a hoppy bitterness that pleases my palate. Hints of grapefruit, piney trees, floral tannins. As the brew moves through my mouth I start to pick up on a malty balance and an alcohol spice. As the brew moves towards my gullet, it starts to tame and I am left yearning for MORE. The tastes seem to even out and blend as you let the beer warm. I find that I appreciate this brew the most at about 60* F.

Mouthfeel- One place where this beer lets me down, I would not mind a bit of a thicker mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Beautiful beer. I will say this though, no more than two in a night or else I will be useless tomorrow! I honestly could sit back and enjoy this beer for hours.

EDIT- From the bottle- the fresh hops are a bit aggressive. I am sure Age will help this, but I certainly do not mind, as I am a bit of a Hop-head.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%

Ah yes the Divine Reserve #6

Poured into a snifter glass

A: Deep amber with minimal head, I can see a little carbonation through the murkiness.

S: I get some fruit on the nose, possibly grapefruit. Definite hoppiness on nose as well. I really enjoyed the smell of this brew.

T & M: Wow, this is a really strong brew. The first thing I tasted was the hop bitterness. Definite slight fruitiness as well with the strong alcohol barely picked up. Mouthfeel is hoppy bitterness.

D: This is a quality beer but I must say I was just slightly disappointed. Like any barleywines I don't think I'd want to drink more than one at a time.

I'll be cellaring a few and am curious what differences there will be in several months.

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to both mhewes and BgThang for this one. Mike, your's is in the cellar, Ken, this is one of yours. Thanks to ya both!

This beer pours a murky and dark honey amber with a a sandy film of off-white on top.

Smells of a delightful blend of both an alcohol and hoppy sting. The hops seem to be something gentle like simcoe, and the booze is equally as velvety. There's not much going on here, but it's straightforward and enticing.

Ed: Hey, this is a pretty tasty 2IPA

BA: It's an American Barleywine.

Ed: <takes a sip> No, I'm pretty sure it's a 2IPA.

saintarnold.com: Nope. Sorry. It's an American Barleywine.

Ed: Are you serious? <takes another sip> This is a straight-up hop-bomb with a boozy kick. It's got to be a 2IPA.

BA & saintarnold.com: Sorry boss...

You get my point. This one is dominated by the same silky simcoe-esque hops from the aroma. It's backed by a lighter boozy sting and a touch of rye crisps. The booziness comes across a little more in the finish with a more chemical taste that tries like the dickens to hid in the crisp hops, but sadly sticks out. Needs age, perhaps.

Feels big and slick with a nice and subtle froth of micro-bubbles adding to the velvety feel of the hops.

Needs time! I'll revisit a few bottles come November...

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

A - nice reddish brown color with a good sized light tan head.

S - Pine Pitch, pine cones, pine sap, grassy hops, a hint of caramael and a warming abv effect.

T - an aggressive piney slightly harsh hop effect with a trailing caramel bready body and a hint of citric hops to add a bit more.

M - full bodied, nicely carbonated, a hop bomb indeed with a trailing piney aspect.

D - one in a session is good for me. a bit more than I anticipated on the piney hop side. I'll be curious to see how this changes with a year or two of age.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Dark brown in color with reddish tones. One finger brown head with decent retention. Great lacing.

S - Sweet hop juice! Very strong citurs aroma, defniitely an American Barleywine.

T - A somewhat astringent alcohol taste along with a hint of some citrusy hops. Also a caramel sweetness underlying. The alcohol is just a little too rough in this one.

Edit: Let the beer warm and all the tastes come together a little better. Still not great, but definitely good.

M/D - Medium bodied with a good level of carbonation. A very drinkable barleywine.

I am going to let another bottle of this sit for a bit to see if the alcohol will even out a bit. I certainly dont mind a boozy barleywine, but this ones flavor is just a little off.

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 12 oz brown bottle that has a screw cap on so tight that digs into your hand as you try to twist it off. After 20 seconds of trying I grabbed one of my many bottle openers. The beer pours a dark terra-cotta orange that has a chilled haze to it. A quarter inch of khaki head rises up and leaves a fluffy ring and nice lacing.

Scent is of sweet thick malts and aggressive bitter hops. Saint Arnold is serious about their malts, but this one also has some nice citrus notes too. A balanced harmony of scents makes me excited to drink some.

The start is citrus and piney, bold flavors followed by a creamy malt. Nicely caramelized but not a scorched flavor the malts lead into a fine sweetness that you can taste on the side of your tongue. Contrasting the sweetness is a harsh grating bitterness that scratches wonderfully against the back of my throat. That feeling is enhanced by an ABV warmth that leaves a good mild burn.

On the large side of medium bodied beers. It is full and borderline thick but fantastic. Moderate carbonation adds to the enjoyment of this BIG beer. The only down side (or upside is depending on how you look at it) is the high ABV. 10% limits the amount you can drink in a session. Damn you MODERATION!! All around a very impressive beverage. Very balanced, easy to drink and hard not to enjoy. I am surprised again by this brewery. Way to go Saint Arnold.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Bottle Inspection: Purple 6 neck label, surprisingly straight. Given the "Reserve" aging angle it's somewhat frustrating to find a twist off cap.

Aroma: Pine tar and grapefruit hops with a serious Hawaiian Punch © smell going. Alcohol lends a perfumed note to the whole affair. I get hints of peppermint too.

Appearance: Hazy red copper glass has a tan head that fades to a few wisps pretty quickly but manages some thick lacing none the less.

Flavor: Brash and boozy, nothing subtle here. Loads of west coast pine and grapefruit hops overwhelm any sweetness or malty character. There is a toasted bread and caramel flavor in there, but you have to go looking for it. Almost a DIPA profile.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, heavy body demands a chew or three. It's hot in the back of the throat and warms as it descends.

Overall Impression: What a monster! The alcohol plays a major role in the flavor and experience. I think this, like the other DRs, is meant for the cellar. I think the hop levels will get interesting in a year or two, but if you like your hops raw and wriggling, there's nothing wrong with seizing the moment and drinking some now. Another serious beer from the DR series; long live St. Arnold!

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Initial Notes:
Finally, the great Divine Reserve. Nice little yeast cake on the bottle of the bottle.

Nose:
This has a very hop-oriented aroma, like Bigfoot. Citric and resinous with spicy undertones. Richly roasted toasty malt with allusions to a soft sweetness. Closer sniffing reveals some spicy alcohol. Devilishly alluring to a hop-head like myself.

Look:
Pours a murky brown (caramel) color, highly translucent. Moderately sized light brown head with lackluster retention. Bits of soft, velvety lace and bubbles remain.

Flavor:
At first sip I'm surprised at how much alcohol I find. It's pretty zesty, and only overwhelms me for a moment. Dark malt flavors and bitter hops seize control and proceed to wage war on one another. No prominent, dominating flavor as of yet.

Hop flavor advances - grassy and lemon-citric, with a floral arrangement on the side. Still deeper, I keep tasting more astringent highly-extracted hop that reminds me of IPAs I've brewed in which the hops had a prolonged interaction with the fermentation. It's subtle enough so far here to not scare me off; and it seems to be working well with the sweetness.

Malt side retaliates with dark pre-ripe fruit sweetness and (what I take to be) some bitterness of its own. Roasty, earthy, and smoky wood flavors suggest outdoor cooking and terroir. Some herbal rebuttal from the hop and then off again with hints of toast and biscuit. Deeper sweetness in the vein of caramel takes increasing president once I realize the beer looks very much like caramel - dark and buttery brown (as noted above). Vanilla notes... was this oaked? Mmmm.

Feel:
Soft velvet mouthfeel with thick body. Loads of hop bitterness to balance along with dull carbonation and alcohol tingles.

Final Notes:
Dry finish with more alcohol spice and coup de grâce of hop bitterness. I suppose I'd have to conclude that the balance is way off in hop-land, but I like being off-centered.

The Verdict:
A woody hop-dominated Barleywine with a dry demeanor and a tasty terroir. Definitely the best Saint Arnold I've had (just ahead of Elissa). From this experience with Divine Reserve, if it was released year-around I know I'd buy a couple throughout the year, and the hype-cloud surrounding it would be minimal. Until then I'll have to live with the greedy beerophiles who snatch it up by the crate-full the morning it's released.

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Just picked up a 6-pack earlier, 2 days after the release. Poured into a NB chalice. Pours out a dark brown color with a little cloudiness, topped by a thin head. Very nice aroma of sticky sweet malt, a huge resiny hop aroma, and ripe fruit. Difficult to taste the malt through the enormous hop flavor and high bitterness. A tad one-dimensional, perhaps, with a long lingering hoppiness. Thick and heavy-bodied.

Not really my type of beer, but it does make a good late-night sipper.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

ruby pour with a 1 finger cream head that thins out and leaves a great lacing. hops, grapefruit and caramel on the nose. the malts really thicken this beer up quite well. the hops are very strong and bitter at first and they don't leave until you've cleaned your palate.

4.01/5  rDev -2%

A - Pours a nice murky copper/brown with a perfect two finger head that disipated slowly into a light ring leaving a spotty lace.

S - Pine and earthy hop, sweet apricot and raisins, and a tad bit of malt.

T - Heavy pine and grapefruit hops more reminicent of a DIPA at first, followed by a caramel and toffee malt that works to try and help balance the brew, but it still hop heavy...Not bad though.

M - Smooth with a good bit of carbonation and a mild alcohol burn.

D - Great beer. I want to see what will happen as this beer ages. I think the malts will balance the brew alot better as the hops dumber down.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a brilliant hue of maple amber. Very reminiscent of finished oak. Creamy white head pillows up into a nice thick disk of foam coating the walls of the glass. Smell is amazing. Piney, sticky, resiny hops dominate. Like picking up a handful of hops and stuffing your nose in the middle. Following the beautiful hops are floral sweetness, and bittersweet grapefruit aromas... just awesome. Taste quite good! Begins with hints of sweet maple, a touch of shortbread sweetness, hints of spicy ginger and then the columbus hops certainly march in. Think about tapping into a pine tree with a straw made of orange zest. Refreshingly hopped to the point that your taste buds know it, but no over doing it! I do wish I could detect some more of the malt's intricacies but as fresh as this is, the hops cover much of it up. The barleywine certainly covers the mouth in a hoptastic, soapy coat that finishes dry and leaves you yerning for more. The alcohol is there, but doesn't come across as overbearing. I am in love. I can see this one balancing out overtime and becoming quite interesting. Don't get me wrong, this is amazingly awesome right now, but I think it will be fun to watch it change.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Bought my sixpacks at Whole Foods downtown. Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Purty deep amber color with an off white thick head. Strong, wet hop aroma. As others have mentioned, this reminded me of a DIPA. The flavor had plenty of sweet hop bite with a nice touch of barleywineish malt. Not a lot of alcohol flavor, but a good amount of alcohol warming. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, but not syrupy at all, very good. This is a good beer. A full flavored, substantial beer. I don't know if it lives up to all the hype, but I tried to put that all out of my head while drinking and was well pleased.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

My second taste, although this time drinking a 12oz bottle by myself.

Poured into a big snifter.

Dense carbonation and has no problem with head retention (hops).

Hops all the way through. Green pine, Pre-ripe apricot, mango, papaya. Orange/lemon peel. Very green bitter hop flavor like an unfiltered pre-ripe homebrew. High AA. A little spicy.

Some sweetness (caramel, brown sugar, toffee, fig) come through mid-end, but not not nearly as sweet as other barley wines, which I like. Some creaminess that goes well with hop oiliness.

Hops dominates the dry finish.

Reminds me of their wonderful Elissa IPA at times, and also has this peat earthiness (although without the smoke) that the DR4 and DR5 had.

As fresh as it is, very reminiscent of a DIPA, but there are hints of a barleywine beneath it.

Extremely drinkable given it was bottled only a week ago (June 4th) !

Wow, hops dominate the burp as well. Greeny spicy.

Cellar outlook: should be extremely balanced in a few months; extremely drinkable come winter.

I'll be wax-sealing my stash shortly, and storing what I can cold to preserve hoppiness.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle

A-Cloudy hazy swilring color of red, brown, copper. 2 inch beige head. Nice looking beer
S-Very hoppy(Piney and citrus not grapefruit) with sweet fruit scents underneath.
T-Hoppy flavor initially although not as strong as expected from the nose. Well balanced between mild fruit flavors and piney hops. Some brown sugar flavors come out as it warms, but not alor. Hard to believe this is 10% alcohol.
M-Mildy creamy and coating in mouth but not overdone, lightly carbonated which gives a little extra sparkle on the mouth.
D-Very very smooth and drinkable. This beer could get you in a lot of trouble.

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a deep opaque, rich burgandy color with a gorgeous lasting and creamy beige head. Smell is of sweet, fruity hops reminiscent of peaches, mango and maybe a touch of citrus right out of the gate, which opens up and dulls a bit giving off a pleasant woodiness. Taste is semi sweet caramel and fruity malt, but hopped plenty enough to balance with a moderate piney and earthy bite to it. Mildly creamy and semi-rich body with light prickly carbonation. Right now it is incredibly balanced between the fruity sweetness and woodsy hoppiness, making it extremely drinkable for a beer like this. Hoppy like a mild Double IPA, with the smoothness and creaminess of a malty barley wine makes this a great all around beer. The alcohol is well hidden and unobtrusive as well, and this is another solid offering in the Divine Reserve series.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

This is a very nice barely wine that almost resembles a DIPA
The nose on this is freaking awesome. It has some maltiness to it and the hop profile is very nice.
I wonder if this will be a beer to drink fresh rather then aged due to the nose. As you age it the hops will die down.
Over all a nice easy drinking beer. The ten % is well hidden after the first sip. ANother nice brew from the divine reserve series.
one person quoted says its close to a bigfoot but alot smoother.

Will update this review as I get more this beer in me

Here is some more info from the website:
This is a big, malty, hoppy barleywine. Yet with all of the intense flavors, they meld together to create a well-balanced big beer. The nose has a strong resiny hop note. The taste starts with a combination of the malty sweetness and spicy hops with both flavors magnified by the high alcohol level. The spiciness carries through the middle and finishes with a satisfyingly dry bitter. It was brewed with 2 row pale, Caramunich and Special B malts with brown sugar added in the kettle and hopped with 225 lbs of Columbus hops including 44 lbs that were dry hopped. We used our Saint Arnold yeast strain which gives a rich, creamy mouthfeel to the brew. It is unfiltered and will clarify with aging. Enjoy at 45°F or warmer. This beer will age well.

%%% Update
This beer is aging really well almost 4 months now and the awesome hoppy nose is died down quite a bit. The hoppiness is still lingering around on the bitter backend of this but the maltiness is really coming through. Wow I am glad I have several of these so I can experience the changing of the flavors as time goes on.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last