Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Weizenbock

Added by thickerfreakness on 09-23-2008

Reviews: 118 | Ratings: 142
4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

pours a very murky dark brown color with a quickly fading off-white head. the head stayed with the beer the whole way down though. the nose is banana pudding! sweet malts, very subtle chocolate, overall dominance is like smelling a cup of Jell-O Banana Pudding....awesome! the taste is sweet malts, chocolate, toffee, banana. medium to full body, low crisp carbo. Definately an interesting style that I will have to try again. I bet this sucka will be badass aged! Looks like I'm just gonna have to age a few bottles...

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

A- Poured out a hazy dark-orange and settled opaque black with dark-orange edge. Creamy 1-finger tan head with a tad of lacing.

S- Smells like chocolate-covered bananas and mocha coffee.

T- Tastes like it smells but with a pinch of floral hops that bring this beer together. Really good for a "sweet" beer

M- Feel is really good. Like melted chocolate mixed with coffee. Medium-heavy, dry body.

D- Can't even tell it's 8.4%ABV. Drinks so good.

P.S- Aged one till 7/21/10 and it got more roasted, dry, coffee flavors and lost that pinch of floral hops. Not quite as good, but still a top-notch beer after a couple of years in Houston.

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%

I got six pack when this thing came out. Stuck two in my beer closet to see how it ages. Problem is I don't remember how it tasted before.

Poured it into a snifter since I'm a fancy pants. Looks dark brown, with a tan head that left a fair amount of lacing.

I don't remember it smelling this nice before. Dark fruits and maybe a little spiciness. It reminds me of red wine.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Very spicy. Not very sweet, and has a lighter body than I would have expected. The finish tastes like alcohol and dark fruit. Its really pleasant. I wish I had stuck all these in my closet since I don't remember it being so good.

Half way thru the bottle you start to taste a citrusy flavor. I guess its from the wheatbeer yeast. Up to that point I might have called it a Belgian Dark Strong Ale or something similar. People should brew this style more often. Hops are in there if you look for them, but they only serve to add some balance to the whole thing. The esters are the star of the show here.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

I am too not an experienced weizenbock drinker. I will go off of the flavors and aromas I did receive.

The beer is pretty dark with a cascading head that did not last long. The nose is that of roasted chocolate covered bananas.

The smokey roast flavor was totally unexpected. It was a nice welcome. The chocolaty banana flavor is something that is noticeable but not a slap you in the face.

This beer does get a little complex as it warms up in the glass.

Props goes out to kerry from austin who's recipe Saint arnold used after winning the BBBB Contest.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

black pour with a 1 finger dark beige head that lasts a while. . roasted malts, chocolate, alcohol, cloves and some esters on the nose. smooth on the palate with a huge roasted malt flavor and a chocolate finish with the clove showing through as you finish

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

A) Black with clear black edges. Fizzy cola head drops to a lazy halo.

S) A rick dark roasted grain with an herbal, fresh clover earthiness and mild banana peel soaked in spicy alcohol.

T) Bruised purple grape with a dry over-roasted finish.

M) Low carbonation and a dry finish

O) Nice stuff. I don't see this one cellaring well, at least not improving; drink 'em if you go 'em.

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%

Divine Reserve #7 pours out a deep copper brown, only very slightly translucent. Thick frothy mocha colored head.

Smells of candied malt, figs, dark fruit, light cream, walnuts - all stacked up against a clean phenolic alcohol backnote.

Taste is candied and very Belgian-esque. Strong sugary plums, and booze soaked raisins, infused with a very yeasty profile. Lots of residual sugars, and lots of dark fruit infused notes. Starts out wet and slightly sugary on the tongue. Which soon fades to a drier, yeasty note. Finishes even more dry with more candied sugars and residuals. Very phenolic and potent. All of the notes blend together well creating a very drinkable brew.

Mouth feel and drink ability are both awesome.

Another solid beer from Saint Arnolds. This beer stays insanely close to it's Belgian roots and amps it up with American craft innovation. Awesome beer, and definitely another thumbs up to Saint Arnolds. Damn good work guys.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Pick thanks goes out to my kind Texas friend for sending this one out to me. I always look forward to the latest and greatest in this series and this one was no exception. Served cold and poured into a pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 11/24/2008.

The pour was huge here. Deep, dark, and amazingly big looking brown color coming out of the bottle right of the bat. Smooth looking as well, with a big head of tan foam that came up the sides of the glass and reached a height of around two inches before settling back down to earth and leaving just a thin whisp of a head on the top. Lots of coating foam up and down the glass.

The aroma was very big as well. Rich notes of malt, hints of roasted tones and a nice caramel backing all coming through quite clearly. A light note of alcohol in the beginning, letting me know this was no small bock I was about to enjoy. The creamy, smooth flavor rolled across the tongue. Rich, and amazingly complex, it was like velvet that sliced through. Huge notes of caramel malts and grain that just sat there, begging me to take another sip. Fantastically full bodied this was the epitome of a big bock. I could have drank this all night, though I am sure I would have been hurting the next day.

Overall another outstanding beer in this series, this one is one of my favorites for sure. Huge and yet subtle, creamy and delicious, I would have no problems at all with try thing this one out again, in fact I was going to seek it out. Very rich, very earthy, very good.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A: snifter. pours a murky/cloudy mahogany color. nice hearty brown head, good retention and rather nice lacing.

S: some clove, banana, and sweet malts are present.

T: I pick up some light smoked meat flavors, but tons of green raisins, clove and some big banana. nice weizenbock flavors, some cocoa as well.

M: medium to full bodied. perfect carbonation level. sweet but not overbearing.

D: very nice brew and great style. not completely true to the style, but very close. very enjoyable and drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first Weizenbock. I am handicapped in this tasting as I've been fighting allergies lately. I'll be sure to update this review after allergy season.

Pours out dark, almost black. With very light tan head that dissipated rather quickly to a nice lacing that sticks around. There is a medium amount of alcohol scent.

The smell is sweet, yet I can't quite put a finger on the scent (probably allergies).

Taste is roasted chocolate malt. Not much of an alcohol feel as the scent would make you believe.

Mouthfeel is very light on the carbonation.

Overall, I've never had a Weizenbock. So I have no realm of reference as to the quality of this. As a reserve, I would say it's just above average but not the greatest.

EDIT: I opened my second bottle and poured this into a Weizen glass. The head was much better this time than when poured into a large wine glass.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but it was a one time release so date known) into a pint glass. It was a very dark brown, almost black, color. Slight carb with no lacing. It had a 2 finger beige head that slowly settled into a small broken foam with a collar.

The aroma was chocolate malt with bananas and cloves. Smelled really good. I usually am not a big fan of the style as it usually has a darker fruit aroma but this one didn't so was right up my alley. Only complaint is that the aroma really started to fade as it warmed up. The taste was also excellent and again not what I usually find in this style. Had a really smooth taste from start to finish. Very drinkable considering the high ABV. Goes down light a session beer. Mouthfeel was good but needed something more to it in my opinion. Maybe a little more carb or more creamy.

Overall, another exceptional beer from StA that is worth the high praise. A worthy member of the DR lineup - top 3 for me. Highly recommend. Gonna save one for cellaring till next year.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured in weizen glass. I've only had 2 total weizenbocks, Aventinus and Vitus, (but like the style very much) and since both are imports I was interested in trying this one. This was picked up at Local Boys Liquor in WF. Thanks ladies!!

Appearance: Murky dark brown, with a 2 finger head after a typical weizen pour.

Smell: Immediately the nose is chocolate covered bananas. While I didn't get a strong clove scent, there was spicy note detected. I can't wait to taste!

Taste: It smells like it tastes sweet chocolate malt covered bananas. The peppery clove bite is noticeably moreso on the palate. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Smooth, velvety, covers the tongue without being cloying.

Drinkability: I wish I had more than a sixer. This version is heavier than either of the imports I tried. The mouthfeel in those is lighter. This is a perfect style for a cool fall evening. Need I say more?

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Pours a dark brown with low carbonation and khaki head. Smells sweet and of roasted grains. Tastes of bananas, chocolate, and cloves. Good feeling in the mouth with just the right amount of alcohol popping out. I think I like this more than Aventinus.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours a very dark brown color. A small tan head forms. A small foamy cap sticks around all the way down the glass. Some nice lace as well.
S: Not that aromatic, but what is there is very pleasant none the less. Toasty malt that is chocolaty. Some banana and funky yeast.
T: A wonderful malty flavor that is slightly toasty. Coffee and chocolate seem to dominate. Banana as the flavor lingers. Maybe a slight hop twang as well.
M/D: A medium to full body. At first a quick snap of carbonation, but a good creaminess follows. Dry and a bit chalky. Extremely smooth and easy to drink. I know I shouldn't, but I could make a session out of this pretty easily.

Bow down and pray to Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve #7. This is great. A unique style and interpretation. I want some more, and I can't think of a better complement than that.

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The entire pour looks the last yeasty pour of homebrew. It is murky and cloudy, the color of oil rubbed bronze. The head is thin and chocolate colored, fades fast to nothing but a collar of foam.

Smell is rich and chocolaty mixed with a little coffee. There is a toasted cereal nose with hints of bananas. There is a simple chalkiness to the nose but nothing that distracts from the major players here.

Taste is just short of outstanding. I love the smoky roasted flavors that start this taste sensation. There is a sweetened coffee note that seduces the tongue and a yeasty, chocolate banana finish.

Wow I am always surprised by the the stellar brews from St. Arnold. This one has a smooth feel and a drier chalky finish. Very complex layered flavors all add to the enjoyment of this brew. I'd like to write more about it but I just want to sit back and enjoy it. It will be a sad day when this one is gone.

4.39/5  rDev +12%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass

A: Murky rich brown coloring, nice tan fluffy tan head. Really nice looking brew.

S: Wow what a nose. Heavy chocolate tones with some of the typical hefeweizen tones with a little banana and wheat.

T & M: The other weizenbock that I had in the past was Aventinus and this is right up there with it which definitely says something about the quality of the brew. Chocolate notes with nice very subtle fruity finish. Mouthfeel is creamy.

D: Very drinkable despite somewhat high ABV. I've enjoyed every Devine Reserve so far and cannot wait until the next one.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

Believe it or not, this is actually my first weizenbock. I don't get really excited about wheat beers in general, so I guess I just haven't gotten around to trying this style. Anyways, I luckily managed to pick up a sixer of this before it sold out...

Pours an extremely dark, cloudy brown with a tan head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a tiny amount of lacing behind. Aroma is huge; tons of banana, with a bit of roasted malt and just a hint of alcohol. This beer is very well balanced. Taste is slightly sweet and malty at first. Flavors that stand out are banana, wheat, and roasted malt. Finishes with more bitterness than I had expected out of such a malty weizen. Becomes slightly chocolatey as the beer starts to warm up. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and creamy, with moderate carbonation.

All in all, this beer blew me away. I was not expecting to like it all that much, but now I wish I had bought more.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pours extremely dark brown with ruby around the edges. A darker beige head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma has a lot roast and chocolate aspects that are a nice change for a weizenbock. Traditional smells of yeast, banana and spice are also present but they are balanced well by the chocolate/roast. Also very untraditional in the flavor department, the chocolatey flavor blends well with the banana from the wheat to create a chocolate covered banana like taste. Medium body and quite a bitter finish. Really unique for me in the weizenbock category but I haven't fully explored the style yet. This one is damn good fresh and I can't wait to see what some time does for it.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Thanks goes out to armock for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some toffee/chocolate, and some spice. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, with the dark stuff, and spice. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a very nice tasty brew.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head that leaves lacing

S - Is of roasted malt with chocolate scents

T - Is very good the roasted malt comes out nicely giving a good coffee and chocolate flavors finishes with some banana as well

M - This beer has a smooth medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I was a little surprised with how good this actually was I went into this DR with lower expectations because it just didn't seem as exciting as the other DRs but Saint Arnold did a great job with this beer its pretty easy to drink and tastes very good to bad so sad if you didn't hunt it down today.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

100th review. Seems fitting to go with another beer from our wonderful Saint Arnolds Brewery! Pours a murky, turbid dark coffee brown. A big pillowy head full of large bubbles grows to a two finger crown before slowly popping its way back to a nice disk of foam. Smells great. Chocolate, clove, bread, banana, some earthy, chalky chocolate definitely dominating with a very nice fruity yeast. Tastes wonderful. Beautiful notes of milky chocolate, and banana, some peanut brittle-esque flavors certainly move through in the end. A bit of a toasty, fresh bread flavor and perhaps a very slight touch of citrus hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy but light, certainly not too heavy to hinder the drinkability. Surprisingly drinkable! Thumbs up to Saint Arnolds, the Big Brew Bash and the Divine Reserve series. Another home run.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Pours a rich auburn caramel color, very deep with a thin tan head.

S-Lots of dark raisins and fig with just a hint of sourness in the background.

T-Deliciously rich with caramel malt, dark fruits and a bit of brown sugar. The grainier malt notes and yeasty zing peek through in the finish, then some chocolate.

M-Medium, almost heavy bodied with a pleasant richness.

D-Very tasty. Very rich so one a session would be about right. But a very tasty one.

HV

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark cascading head with some lacing into a standard pint glass. Foam is 1/2 finger brown foam that lasted all the way to the end.
Smell is yeast dominated , mainly banana , some chocolate malt.
Taste is a very dominant chocolate flavor that is mellowed on the back end by the banana flavor of the yeast. A very nice weizenbock.
This beer is pretty rich. It would be difficult to have more than one of these.

Very nice job Kerry!

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks joepais for this extra!

Poured from a brown 120z stuby into a flute.
The poure produces 3 inches of brown head. Very slowly settling to a quarter inch cap. Not much of any lace holds to the walls it appears thick and greasy almost on the glass.
The color is a pretty dark brown with just the slightest bit of brownish red glow towards the skinnier base portion of the glass. The head is a great color as is the color on the liquid.

Aroma of burnt caramel, roasty grains, dark bitter chocolate, cocoa powder, pancake batter, dark fruit. Man, I'm really taken back by this pungeant delicious chocolate aroma. It mixes well with the malt.

A bit of a full bodied creamyness to the feel, its slick across the tounge with a light fluffyness to it. Carbonation is pretty laid back, present but does not overpower the creamy feel.

The taste is a burnt caramel up front, with a shit load of malts, some spices and plenty from the chocolate grains. With a touch of lemon zest into the swallow. A touch of aspirin at the swallow.
This is super delicious and very easy to drink. The alcahol is not present in aroma, but warming does occur with each swallow. Heating the body and it is a pleasing feeling.
Great brew for the style. The chocolate was not expected.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

I thought I had reviewed this before. Guess not. Going from notes that I took when I drank this in late 2008.

Beer pours dark brown with a tan head. Darker than other weizenbocks I have had. The smell is dark fruit with some booziness. The flavor is dark fruit with some spices as well as some darker malts and some smoke. You also get some of the expected banana and clove notes but they are not front and center. The alcohol that is present in the aroma is also present in the flavor. This is a boozy beer. Really different than other beers of this style, but I like it.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company