Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #7 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Added by thickerfreakness on 09-23-2008

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured in weizen glass. I've only had 2 total weizenbocks, Aventinus and Vitus, (but like the style very much) and since both are imports I was interested in trying this one. This was picked up at Local Boys Liquor in WF. Thanks ladies!!

Appearance: Murky dark brown, with a 2 finger head after a typical weizen pour.

Smell: Immediately the nose is chocolate covered bananas. While I didn't get a strong clove scent, there was spicy note detected. I can't wait to taste!

Taste: It smells like it tastes sweet chocolate malt covered bananas. The peppery clove bite is noticeably moreso on the palate. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Smooth, velvety, covers the tongue without being cloying.

Drinkability: I wish I had more than a sixer. This version is heavier than either of the imports I tried. The mouthfeel in those is lighter. This is a perfect style for a cool fall evening. Need I say more?

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

100th review. Seems fitting to go with another beer from our wonderful Saint Arnolds Brewery! Pours a murky, turbid dark coffee brown. A big pillowy head full of large bubbles grows to a two finger crown before slowly popping its way back to a nice disk of foam. Smells great. Chocolate, clove, bread, banana, some earthy, chalky chocolate definitely dominating with a very nice fruity yeast. Tastes wonderful. Beautiful notes of milky chocolate, and banana, some peanut brittle-esque flavors certainly move through in the end. A bit of a toasty, fresh bread flavor and perhaps a very slight touch of citrus hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy but light, certainly not too heavy to hinder the drinkability. Surprisingly drinkable! Thumbs up to Saint Arnolds, the Big Brew Bash and the Divine Reserve series. Another home run.

4.39/5  rDev +12%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass

A: Murky rich brown coloring, nice tan fluffy tan head. Really nice looking brew.

S: Wow what a nose. Heavy chocolate tones with some of the typical hefeweizen tones with a little banana and wheat.

T & M: The other weizenbock that I had in the past was Aventinus and this is right up there with it which definitely says something about the quality of the brew. Chocolate notes with nice very subtle fruity finish. Mouthfeel is creamy.

D: Very drinkable despite somewhat high ABV. I've enjoyed every Devine Reserve so far and cannot wait until the next one.

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%

Divine Reserve #7 pours out a deep copper brown, only very slightly translucent. Thick frothy mocha colored head.

Smells of candied malt, figs, dark fruit, light cream, walnuts - all stacked up against a clean phenolic alcohol backnote.

Taste is candied and very Belgian-esque. Strong sugary plums, and booze soaked raisins, infused with a very yeasty profile. Lots of residual sugars, and lots of dark fruit infused notes. Starts out wet and slightly sugary on the tongue. Which soon fades to a drier, yeasty note. Finishes even more dry with more candied sugars and residuals. Very phenolic and potent. All of the notes blend together well creating a very drinkable brew.

Mouth feel and drink ability are both awesome.

Another solid beer from Saint Arnolds. This beer stays insanely close to it's Belgian roots and amps it up with American craft innovation. Awesome beer, and definitely another thumbs up to Saint Arnolds. Damn good work guys.

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The entire pour looks the last yeasty pour of homebrew. It is murky and cloudy, the color of oil rubbed bronze. The head is thin and chocolate colored, fades fast to nothing but a collar of foam.

Smell is rich and chocolaty mixed with a little coffee. There is a toasted cereal nose with hints of bananas. There is a simple chalkiness to the nose but nothing that distracts from the major players here.

Taste is just short of outstanding. I love the smoky roasted flavors that start this taste sensation. There is a sweetened coffee note that seduces the tongue and a yeasty, chocolate banana finish.

Wow I am always surprised by the the stellar brews from St. Arnold. This one has a smooth feel and a drier chalky finish. Very complex layered flavors all add to the enjoyment of this brew. I'd like to write more about it but I just want to sit back and enjoy it. It will be a sad day when this one is gone.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A-Dark pour with minimal head, dark but not stout like, slightly brown
S-Banana esther on the new, little bit of chocolate underneath
T-Banana with cocoa/chocolate base, slightly must, wheat grain flavor comes through as it warms. Not bad but not fantastic
M-Medium carbo, slightly prickly carbo which makes it seems not as smooth and similiar to many Saint Arnold's brews
D-I could drink a few more of these but I wouldn't drive all over town to get more.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head that leaves lacing

S - Is of roasted malt with chocolate scents

T - Is very good the roasted malt comes out nicely giving a good coffee and chocolate flavors finishes with some banana as well

M - This beer has a smooth medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I was a little surprised with how good this actually was I went into this DR with lower expectations because it just didn't seem as exciting as the other DRs but Saint Arnold did a great job with this beer its pretty easy to drink and tastes very good to bad so sad if you didn't hunt it down today.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: 12oz bottle with a bottling date of 9/05/08 and a cap that reads "I barley know you". Pours into a flute brown and syrupy with 2 fingers of tannish brown head. Head lasts for a little and some lacing appears as the beer recedes.

Smell: Chocolate, malt, and alcohol. A great smell, and I really enjoy the chocolate smell.

Taste: Chocolate, apples, dried fruit (raisins and prunes), malts, and toasted coffee. A toasted coffee and banana aftertaste. Chocolate is the most dominant flavor.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated and syrupy, with a creamy feeling when swished in the mouth.

Drinkability: I would never guess this beer has the ABV that Saint Arnold quotes it at (8.4). A great beer and my 1st of the this style. I will thoroughly enjoy sipping the rest of my bottles. Great jobs SA and keep it up.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

after a long day of handling out this beer, i finally get to come home and have some... Poured into my Saint Arnold wheat glass, pours a dark brown-ruby ... good lacing ... quite a bit of different flavours, cloves, banana, chocolate covered raisins ... a spot on weizenbock, but i seem not to enjoy it as much as the other divines, which is strange because as i drink it i know its full of quality! ... that being said, i look forward to seeing how it does over the next few months.... cheers saint arnold - you bring beer excitement to Houston! ...

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours a very dark brown color. A small tan head forms. A small foamy cap sticks around all the way down the glass. Some nice lace as well.
S: Not that aromatic, but what is there is very pleasant none the less. Toasty malt that is chocolaty. Some banana and funky yeast.
T: A wonderful malty flavor that is slightly toasty. Coffee and chocolate seem to dominate. Banana as the flavor lingers. Maybe a slight hop twang as well.
M/D: A medium to full body. At first a quick snap of carbonation, but a good creaminess follows. Dry and a bit chalky. Extremely smooth and easy to drink. I know I shouldn't, but I could make a session out of this pretty easily.

Bow down and pray to Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve #7. This is great. A unique style and interpretation. I want some more, and I can't think of a better complement than that.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

Looks pretty good, poured very dark, with a thin tannish head. Malty, bananas, bit of a dry chocolate smell. Almost tastes like an alcoholic chocolate banana shake. A dusty chocolate flavor, if that makes any sense. The aromas were better in my opinion. I almost want more alcohol in the flavor, it's too muted. Good mouthfeel, a bit chalky, but smooth. Overall, a decent weizenbock. I enjoyed it, then enjoyed another. A very cool style, I wish there were more out there to try.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

I am too not an experienced weizenbock drinker. I will go off of the flavors and aromas I did receive.

The beer is pretty dark with a cascading head that did not last long. The nose is that of roasted chocolate covered bananas.

The smokey roast flavor was totally unexpected. It was a nice welcome. The chocolaty banana flavor is something that is noticeable but not a slap you in the face.

This beer does get a little complex as it warms up in the glass.

Props goes out to kerry from austin who's recipe Saint arnold used after winning the BBBB Contest.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first Weizenbock. I am handicapped in this tasting as I've been fighting allergies lately. I'll be sure to update this review after allergy season.

Pours out dark, almost black. With very light tan head that dissipated rather quickly to a nice lacing that sticks around. There is a medium amount of alcohol scent.

The smell is sweet, yet I can't quite put a finger on the scent (probably allergies).

Taste is roasted chocolate malt. Not much of an alcohol feel as the scent would make you believe.

Mouthfeel is very light on the carbonation.

Overall, I've never had a Weizenbock. So I have no realm of reference as to the quality of this. As a reserve, I would say it's just above average but not the greatest.

EDIT: I opened my second bottle and poured this into a Weizen glass. The head was much better this time than when poured into a large wine glass.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a rich dark muddy brown in a weizen glass with a nice deep, creamy tan head on top. Looks rich pouring out as well. Smell is toasty, borderline roasty and chocolatey, with some banana fruitiness from the yeast, and some dark wheatiness as well. Smells very nice. Taste is dark and toasty bready malt, bordering on roasted malt with a very chocolate like flavor. Some weizenbock wheatiness. Rich flavor with chocolate and banana and a medium to full body. Soft to medium carbonation. Definitely a great beer, and surprisingly good for a style I'm not too familiar with and didn't expect a lot from.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

Believe it or not, this is actually my first weizenbock. I don't get really excited about wheat beers in general, so I guess I just haven't gotten around to trying this style. Anyways, I luckily managed to pick up a sixer of this before it sold out...

Pours an extremely dark, cloudy brown with a tan head that quickly dissipates, leaving just a tiny amount of lacing behind. Aroma is huge; tons of banana, with a bit of roasted malt and just a hint of alcohol. This beer is very well balanced. Taste is slightly sweet and malty at first. Flavors that stand out are banana, wheat, and roasted malt. Finishes with more bitterness than I had expected out of such a malty weizen. Becomes slightly chocolatey as the beer starts to warm up. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and creamy, with moderate carbonation.

All in all, this beer blew me away. I was not expecting to like it all that much, but now I wish I had bought more.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark cascading head with some lacing into a standard pint glass. Foam is 1/2 finger brown foam that lasted all the way to the end.
Smell is yeast dominated , mainly banana , some chocolate malt.
Taste is a very dominant chocolate flavor that is mellowed on the back end by the banana flavor of the yeast. A very nice weizenbock.
This beer is pretty rich. It would be difficult to have more than one of these.

Very nice job Kerry!

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pours extremely dark brown with ruby around the edges. A darker beige head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma has a lot roast and chocolate aspects that are a nice change for a weizenbock. Traditional smells of yeast, banana and spice are also present but they are balanced well by the chocolate/roast. Also very untraditional in the flavor department, the chocolatey flavor blends well with the banana from the wheat to create a chocolate covered banana like taste. Medium body and quite a bitter finish. Really unique for me in the weizenbock category but I haven't fully explored the style yet. This one is damn good fresh and I can't wait to see what some time does for it.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last