Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #8 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

3.9/5
Alströms:

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

2009? or 2008 bottle drank 2014

I had yet to drink a St Arnold beer that really impressed me but this aged one did it and went way over the top

Chewy and heavy with beautiful apricot and date flavors covering the palate with a mild boozy taste as well, but oh so mild. I am typing this from memory so I don't remember what else I was smelling but I do remember the bouquet kept revealing something new and interesting.

The bouquet and taste of this aged beer are skies and seas of taste.

4.91/5  rDev +25.9%

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Kept in the cellar from 09 to 17

Appearance: Deep brown glass is opaque and holds a thin cover of tan foam and a halo that laces.

Aroma: Smoky, purple grapes.

Taste: Smoke flavor is slightly peaty, and at a wonderful level where it is firm but doesn't overpower the other flavors. Malt comes in nicely, with a very slightly sweet finish but generally well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Soft, low carbonation, medium heavy body.

Overall: A winner from the cellar. Aged very nicely, no oxidation noted, just well blended flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Many thanks to Twiggamortis420 for the opportunity to sample this great beer.

Divine 8 puors a slight hazy, mahogany amber color with very good head retention and considerable sticky lacing. The nose in this beer is terrific, showing caramel, brown sugar, toffee, milk chocolate and orange citrus. Flavors replicate the nose pretty closely in this fairly sweet ale, but this beer is so well balanced, the sweetness never seems overdone or heavy on the palate. Mouthfeel is rich and full,with a long finish. Drinkability is amazing for a beer with this abv., as despite the sweetness and noticeable alcohol, each sips makes you want to take another. Interestingly, although I thought this beer well balanced and oh so very light on its feet, there's not even a hint of bitterness. That's how well the hops are integrated into the recipe.

Really liked this one... excellent stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

A few months after being initially available. Decanted from bottle, a dark hazy copper to medium brown color. Quite a bit of yeast left in the last ounce. Nice head with medium to fine bubbles.

The nose has a whiff of strong alcohol and is yeasty.

Has a sweet taste with currant and smokey flavor, balanced but not overpowering bittering hops. The smoke flavor lingers. A medium full mouthfeel, with some alcohol heat, and velvety bubbles.

Extremely drinkable and tasty on this cool evening.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another new one in the line, glad I can say I have actually had all of these, now we get to number 8 and one of my favorite styles. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/09/2009.

The pour was near perfect with a deep, dark brown that had loads of ruby highlights on the bottom of the glass. Nice two inch head of tan that capped it off nearly perfectly, leaving behind tons of lacing all over the sides of the glass. Rich aroma, earthy malts, touches of grain and floral notes. Warming brings out caramel, lots of sweet notes. Really nicely done here, as I take the first sip I remark as to how thick the feel is on this one, very full and rich, really let the flavor sit on the tongue. Hints of heather overlap a rich malty sweetness. Light touch of hops at the end, but quickly erased by another bout of rich sweet caramel flavor as well as a nice touch of bready flavor. Smooth, even finish and well hidden ABV profile made this one go down much easier then I would have thought.

Overall this was very solid. Great representation of the style and really just finely crafted ale all around. One of the better versions of the style and would be glad to have this one again any day.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%

Saw Billy Mays selling this stuff and just had to get some. 6th bottle was free!

Pours a suprisingly clear amber/ruby color with a large easy forming light tan head that retains well and leaves nice lacing.

Nose is huge with chocolate and peat. A little bit of smoke, and sweet malt rears its head as well.

Hmmm. Very nice, but not as nice as the nose indicated. Big notes of peat are the first thing i notice, as they are prominent all the way through. Straight up geese in the bog type shit. Large chocolate flavors are also there and mingle with some smoke and nutty sweetness. The finish is smooth and creamy, and leaves peat and sweet malt lingering on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pretty damn good. Nice and viscous without being soup. Carbonation is a touch low, but i like that in a beer of this kind. Good slick creamy finish.

Drinkability is actually pretty solid. The abv is not noticeable at first, but does put a good kick of warmth into the stomach as it settles. Could put down a couple of these without issue though.

Overall this is a very nice wee heavy. They really nailed the scotch ale flavors, and turned them all up a notch with this imperial sort of variety. Seems like it would be great with a year or two of age on it as well. NOTE TO SAINT ARNOLD. PLEASE AGE THIS IN SOME BOURBON BARRELS!!! I think this beer would truly be something special if it were properly aged in bourbon barrels. A fine beer as is though, excellent example of the style. And big thanks to Austin's Executive chef of the future, stopbarking for the bottles.

PUT IT IN BOURBON BARRELS!!!

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

12 oz bottle, huge thanks to GregMcQ for hooking me up once again.

Pours a cloudy very dark orange/amber, some brownish highlights, thin off white head forms, slowly settles settles to a thin ring around the glass, a few small spots stick.

Smell is very sweet and fruity, caramel, raisin puree, light peat and smokiness, very earthy, dates, touch of chocolate sweetness, woody, toffee pudding, brown sugar, a bit of alcohol, quite nice.

Taste is nice as well, biscuity, toffee, bread, brown sugar, wood, peat and smoke, lots of raisin, very fruity and caramelized, brown sugar, earth, honey dates, light chocolate wafer dryness in the finish, some alcohol, nice and malty.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with medium carbonation, maybe a little too lively for the style. Some warmth going down, real nice malt character and I really like the peat. Thanks Greg!!

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface this review by saying a few things. First, I typically do not care too much for Scotch Ales. I just find them to be a 'dime a dozen' and have struggled to find one that set itself apart from the crowd (in a good way). Second, I have been telling myself for so long to temper my expectations because there will never be another #5 (Prove me wrong, guys...please!) and I know I do not care for the style.

A: Tan head that went the way of Old Yeller all too quickly. Dark and cloudy like a leather storm cloud.

S: Dark oily cigar notes with a dose of toffee and burnt sugars to add to the nose. Fruity esthery aromas seem just out of reach, but you can almost tell they are there. What a tease.

T: That cigar smokiness is here in good measure. It is important to note here that this is very reminiscient of cigar smoke to me; not BBQ nor Liquid Smoke as I seem to keep running into with other beers. Cocoa, coffee, and toffee all make appearances here as the beer warms. There is almost an herbal finish to this. No real hop presence to speak of, which is fine. The beer is tasty enough without them.

M: You would never guess that this is a 10% beer by the taste of it. Sure it is a little boozy, but I have tasted bigger booze out of 8%s on more than one occasion. Smooth and easy going. Spot on with the body and bubbles.

D: I would drink this 'til the cows come home if it weren't so hard to come by.

I cannot wait to see how this ages. A buddy and I have a sixer in the cellar as of last night.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

12oz bottle. sampled oct 29/09.

pours hazy light brown, fading to orange at the edges. the thin layer of fine tan head quickly fades to a ring around the glass and leaves a bit of spotty lace.

aroma is good. caramel and toffee. hint of smoke. big biscuit and multi-grain bread malt. light alcohol. bit of toast. earthy and a bit woody. light candied fruit, more leaning to citrus than dark fruit.

taste is great. nice mellow smokey presence. bit of dark chocolate. caramel and toffee. bit of butterscotch. biscuit and multi-grain bread. lightly warming alcohol. woody. slightly earthy. just a hint of dark fruit, but pretty mellow. low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. medium-large body, but with a fairly dry finish. slightly prickly medium carbonation - i'd have liked something a little mellower.

drinkability is good. good balance. just the right amount of smokey character so that it compliments without dominating. great depth. a tasty wee heavy.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to TexasStout for shooting me a couple bottles of this brew. Cleaning out the dark corners of the beer fridge this weekend, not sure why I've let a scotch ale sit so long; they're one of my wife's favorite styles, & this has been a good series to date. Without further ado.

Pour is muddied liquid caramel, blending in like camo into the new leather couches in my man-cave. Sweet caramel also leaks into my nose, along with toffee, alcohol, & the barest beginnings of oxidation.

Divine Reserve #8 is a blast of flavor. The frequently mentioned caramel is coating every other taste, of which there are several. Toffee adds to the Candy Store circus, along with notes of dark, shrively fruits; figs, raisins, dried apples, prunes. Waiting behind the curtains patiently is a whiff of forest fire, too, a most unexpected taste that serves to parry the sweetness & keep is from cloying up the senses. A heavy, darkish brew that's appropriately somber & makes me want to drink it all night.

A worthy addition to the Reserve series, & an excellent beer overall. In the firmament of scotch ales, #8 can hold its head high in the most highly regarded company.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

I just opened a bottle 06/08/10. I usually drink a special beer before I travel for work (not uncommonly around the world). I added this way back when, and enjoyed it on tap. Lets see how the bottle version has held up after about 9 months.

A: Pours a hazy orange/brown color. A two finger beige head forms with excellent retention. Rings of sticky lace are left behind.
S: Smoke, dry wood, and lots of dark fruits. Chocolate covered cherries and plums. A light oxidation. Oh ya, the aroma has developed nicely.
T: Lots of dry wood and peaty smoke flavors that I love. Dark fruits of cherries and plums that follow the nose. Light toffee flavors. I love it.
M/D: A full body that is incredibly creamy, smooth, and velvety. Very dry as well. Really easy to sip on. A great beer as a night cap.

I would say that I really enjoyed this on tap. Though this is exceptional out of the bottle. This has improved a ton over the last several months. If you still have some bottles, this is excellent right now. Well done Saint Arnold.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

I'm going to start by throwing my opinion out there. This beer is way over-rated and priced. That being said, its a great beer. A friend of mine drove all over town to find a 6pk of this stuff. After paying $17(with tax) for a 6pk I was thinking it was going to be the best beer iv ever had. It fell short in that respect, but is still a really good beer.

It pours an amber like brown color
The smell is good, its a light smell with hints of toffee. Maybe some roasted or smokey notes as well.
The taste is a nice sweet malt with some spices.

Great beer, outrageous hype though. I love the brewery, but they should really release more of this stuff.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours deep, cloudy mahogany with a creamy off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Lacing is scant.

S - Very malty, as expected. Notes of raisins, plum, and a hint of cinnamon make the nose very complex and enticing.

T - Notes of alcohol and spice come through up front, followed quickly by a heavy yet smooth sweetness that carries over into the finish. Notes of dark fruit are the most dominant, with a hint of vanilla coming through as well.

M - Full-bodied with a heavy, sweet finish.

D - It's a bit of a whopper, but quite enjoyable. I'll definitely be having more in the future though. I have a few more bottles set aside to age.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From augustgarage, a super kick-ass extra. Thanks, buddy!

I am not really too familiar with scotch ales. I was into them for a while before I really got into craft (I drank a number of Smuttynose Scotch Ales before I knew what Smuttynose was... amazing how little one can pay to what they're drinking). I just went for the one with the flower on it. I remember liking them, too. Well, here we go.

A- Into a standard pint (damn you, broken snifter!). This is a rich, dirty penny copper with minimal off-white, buttercream head. A bit of swirling and it looks very nice.

S- Rich caramel... butterscotch, and, well, scotch. Mildly smoky, as well... but it's damn faint.

T- Scotch! Peat smoke, the sweetness of the whiskey comes through, as does a mild vanilla I'd expect to find in a bourbon barrel beer. Heavenly taste on this one.. I'm impressed. There's a mild pipe tobacco or wet cigar taste that is different from the peat smoke notes... this one has some complexity on it.

M- Nice, thick, slow-moving, yet fairly carbonated. Pretty much spot on... not really my style of expertise but I'm pleased at the balance of this one. Alcohol is there... except in a good, flavorful way. I love beers that embrace instead of mask the alcohol notes. Very good.

D- Moderate, but very good. I'd have another if I had one. I'd buy a bunch of this if I was in its distribution area. As it stands, this is an excellent beer and one that I'm glad I got to try. Totally unsolicited, but a home run. Don't you love it when it works out like that?

Thanks, augustgarage!