Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Note from the brewery "Important: let this beer warm to at least 50° before enjoying".

Added by armock on 12-01-2009

Reviews: 118 | Ratings: 192
4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep brown with redish hues, forming a thin 1/4 inch dark mocha head which fades quickly.

S - Strong aroma of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and roasted malts!!! Exremely delicious aroma.

T - The pumpkin spices are not as strong in the taste as in the aroma. The flavor starts out with a nice full roasted malt taste with a light coffee taste throughout. The pumpkin and spices really come out more in the finish. Again, the pumpkin and spices are there, but not overpowering. Very complimentary to the stout characteristics.

M - Nice heavy body with low carbonation. Very smooth and clean. No harsh aftertastes hanging around in the finish.

D - By far my favorite St. Arnold beer to date! Awesome full complex flavor, great body and mouthfeel, and a very inviting aroma to compliment!! What more could you ask for? I really hope they add this to their seasonal line-up!!

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Wow, where to start.

the beer pours dark brown/black with a tan head. There are brown highlights when held up to a light source.

Aroma is spicy nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. The spices you would expect from a pumpkin pie. Also get a little gingerbread.

Taste is very complex. I started the beer at about 50 degrees and the first two flavors were chocolate and alcohol. In addition to the chocolate flavor, you also get some bitter chocolate flavor. Very nice. As the beer warms, you start to get more spices. The flavor is not like any of the individual pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice) but tastes like a combination of those spices. As the beer approaches room temperature, it starts to taste like gingerbread. There is also some roasted malt and you do get some alcohol warming.

The beer has a medium-full mouthfeel and little carbonation which goes awesome with this beer. This is a sipper, but it is extremely easy to drink. Even with some alcohol flavor, you cannot tell it is 11 percent. I have never had a beer quite like this. Great effort from Brock and the guys and gals at Saint Arnolds.

This is an outstanding beer. I have only had Divine Reserves 6-9, but this has been my favorite so far.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

"I Barley Made It"

Poured into a New Belgium glass black with a one finger tan head that disappated quickly. No lacing. The smell has a strong scent of pumpkin. The taste is awesome. It's like a chocolate pumpkin pie. There is a strong alcohol presence, which is expected. But considering the time of year, it warms you up nicely. With the combination of pumpkin and alchol warmth, this is the perfect winter beer. Too bad it won't be back next year.

Re-Reviewed 9/12/2012

Poured into tulip glass black as oil, but carbonation almost gone. The scent is still strong of spices and pumpkin. The taste has mellowed quite a bit. The chocolate pumpkin pie I described before definatly is not the case anymore. The pumpkin is still there, and the spices are still there, but the malts that once gave this a chocolate flavor are definatly not as strong. The alcohol burn is also lower which makes the mouthfeel a little better, and the lower carbonation hasn't affected the mouthfeel at all.

Overall, she's aging well.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Wow, I have been waiting a long time to review a Divine of any kind and it is so worth it.

A- Thick black, faint light through dark brown at edges. Little head and lacing, could be because it is not at recommended temperature.

S- Immediately I notice cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cane sugar. If you have ever smelled the rootbeer they make, the sweet smell is similar, but much richer and more complex.

T & M- This may be the creamiest and smoothest beer I have ever had. Thick, but not overly dense. Alcohol is noticeable, but I am anxious to see this aged.

D- I would have a hard time drinking more than 2 or 3 of these in one sitting. It is not a session beer by any means, but a must try for Imperial Stout fans.

Pick this up or try it on tap if you get the chance. I got two 6-packs for 14.99 +tax each, but it will be well worth it if you enjoy some now and let some age for later.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%

So I usually rate my beers on ratebeer.com, however I use this site to rate beers that haven't had many ratings or are very exceptional. I want to share the experience. Saint Arnold divine was simply amazing. The aroma consists highly of pumpkin pie, spices, chocolate and a little coffee. The flavor is unbelievable pumpkin, chocolate, coffee and spices along with a warming booziness that is far from over done. An amazing example of blending pumpkin and beer which often results in a travesty. Quoting the bottom the cap on this bottle "Take No Pilsner!"

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%

Oh my this is good.
Typically I will start out a review detailing out the attributes in accordance with the list, but this beer is too good to start out that way.

I had heard a lot about the Saint Arnold's DR's and this is my first experience.
The bottle has the Saint divinely looking at a star appearing in the shape of the best state of all Texas.

The beer didn't have a great deal of head to it and what there was disappated quickly. This would be the only downfall in the appearance. The jet black color made it impossible to see any carbonation.

The smell was amazing. I was a foot away from the beer and could still get whiffs of gingerbread whafting up from the glass. Amazing. Great aroma. While the most noted smell was ginger, plenty of others came through. Very balanced.

The most important part of the beer is the taste. When looking through my clear glass, the beer seems as if it could have a strong dark smokey taste, however, it is much lighter than one would expect.

The first part of the beer is a huge breath in to mix the spice with the flavor. The spices blast onto your palate. I get a lot of gingerbread and pumpkin pie.

I do have to ding a little bit for drinkability, although light, and tasty, the 11% ABV would make this more of a one at a time beer.

What an outstanding beer. An outstanding offer from Saint Arnold's. Will put a couple in the back of the fridge for aging.

Wow.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

This has to be one of my favorite beers. Sadly, I have only had the pleasure of drinking 6-7 of them since they are so rare. First of all, the pumpkin is the 1st characteristic that comes across. Followed by a strong taste of alcohol, but not overwhelming nor "burning." Slight notes of cinnamon and other spices, but pumpkin clearly sticks out. Luckily, I got to have two right after it came out, and then a few more a couple of months later. The pumpkin and spice flavor has definitely mellowed over time. I would say it's just as good, but I loved it when it was sort of overwhelming it seemed much fresher, but the flavor changed and became more mature even in the course of a few months. The mouthfeel was nice and tasty. This was actually a beer you could keep drinking and it wasn't as heavy as you would expect. But, be careful, the 11.00% alcohol can catch up on you. The only downside is it seems the carbonation is slightly lacking, the head would barely form and I could see some people considering it to be flat, but I didn't get that. It could have been a little more carbonated. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers of all time and something I would like to recreate in my kitchen.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

appearance - head dissipates quickly, leaves good lacing. black, murky dark brown on pour.

smell - wow. anise, pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon stands out, chocolate, alcohol and a bit of wine (might be coming from alcohol and spice combination) and oak. (this is when first poured at fridge temp) later.... some brown sugar

taste - a lot of pumpkin pie upfront with chocolate (this is about at 38 degrees) so obviously not bad to drink cold. a bit of caramel. im fucking impressed. b+? this guy maybe just needed age or im just liking it for its originality and pulling it off so nicely.

mouthfeel - creamy, thick with remarkable smoothness. decent carbonation. solid.

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a snifter. Word was that this was really hot fresh, so I let it age a bit before giving it a go.

3.0 A: Black color. About a quarter finger of frothy light tan head. Poor retention and no lacing.

5.0 S: Wow, this is completely unexpected. This is full of spices and smells as if Halloween got in a head-on collision with Christmas. Allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, and cinnamon meets gingerbread, black licorice, molasses, and candied plums. The stout characteristics never make it past the spiciness, but that's okay considering how awesomely spicy the aromas is.

4.5 T: The stout comes through a bit stronger in the taste, but not much more so. Some roastiness, chocolate, and molasses. The show, once again, are the spices. All the pumpkin spices are in full force with nutmeg and cinnamon at the forefront. The Christmas aspects are equally strong, with ginerbread and sugar plums leading this army. Booze is minimal.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit low, but it seems to work well. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. The booziness I was expecting really isn't there much at all.

5.0 D: Overall just a really great beer. The spices are strong, but done well and in good combination. The nose is amazing, the taste is nearly as good, and the beer is unique.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

poured black with a very minimal amount of head that was gone before I set my glass down. Has very faint burnt orange edges

This beer smells delicious! I feel like I am smelling fresh gingerbread cookies mixed with homemade pumpkin pie. It's making me a little hungry to be honest... Along with the spice I am getting a significant amount of booze and some molasses.

The taste follows the nose but with a little more emphasis on the booze, spice and molasses.

Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would have liked but is very well carbonated. The aftertaste is fantastic. It leaves the gingerbread/pumpkin pie lingering in your mouth with a very warming boozy effect.

This beer is fantastic. I cant wait for it to be bottled this year! This was an excellent and surprising find for sure. Mad props to D&Q

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Huge thanks to ManVersusBeer for a this bottle.

A: Pours a deep, dark, silky smooth pitch black. There is about half a finger of tan head that fades quickly. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer smells sweet and spicy. I'm picking up chocolate and raisins, but I'm also getting cinnamon and candied ginger. It's reminiscent of pumpkin pie.

T: Starts off a bit boozy, but it moves nicely into the spice. I get hits of a hot chocolate (heat, not temperature). But then this beer really mellows out and gets perfectly sweet. Wonderful.

M: Full-bodied beer. It coats the palate, not lingering too long.

O: This is a fantastic beer, and it's seems extremely complex. I was amazed from the start, and I'm amazed at how it changes as it warms. Absolutely delicious.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks to JJFoodie for this bottle as an extra!

Consumed at room temperature, as all my beers are. :)

A: Dark brown body with small, dirty white head that leaves fairly quickly.

S: Wonderful! As soon as I started pouring the beer I could smell it. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread. A decent amount of sweetness, as well as nutmeg, clove, and other spices. I think I can detect a little chocolate as well.

T: Like pumpkin bread studded with chocolate chips. The pumpkin pie spices hit first and are present throughout, but this is joined by some dark, but not too bitter chocolate. There is some malty sweetness as well. The spices may be a little too strong for some, but I think the balance is great right now. It's not quite complex enough for me to give it a 5, but there's plenty going on.

M: Good carbonation that doesn't take away from the flavors. Body is slightly thinner than you might expect for all the intense flavors, but this keeps the beer from becoming too intense.

D: There's no way this is 11%. If I concentrated, I could taste a bit of alcohol, but not much. I would've loved to have another.

This is terrific! I'm not a huge fan of regular pumpkin stouts, but the marriage of the chocolate and sweet backbone of this beer with the spices is just fantastic. I sure hope I can get a few more of these!

4.51/5  rDev +14.8%

Courtesy of cfh64, thanks!
Popped this one open and the cap read "Wine is for Sissies." Totally agree.
Pours a dark, murky brown with a splattering line of mocha bubbles.
Shocked at the smell. Had no idea what to expect and here is chocolate, hazelnuts, dates, plums, pumpkins, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Wow, intriguing and complex.
This tastes like a chocolaty pumpkin pie with some orange and lemon zest hops on top.
A really enjoyable beer and not overbearing with spices like other pumpkin brews I've had, but there is still some spiciness, richness, and a good creamy feel.
I did not know this was going to be a pumpkin stout and was blown away by it. Easily up there with the best pumpkin/squash based beers I've tasted. The alcohol was mellow, likely due to the age, and the flavors really stand out.

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why this is listed as an imperial stout. It neither looks, smells or tastes like any RIS I've ever tried. The website describes it as an imperial pumpkin stout, which seems a bit more like it. No matter.

Sampled a bottle a couple weeks back during the epic snow we were having here on the East Coast. Many thanks to the JosephLondon for the opportunity to try this one.

The beer pours a dark as molasses brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is hugely spice laden, with a boatload of brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, cherry and baked apple. The flavor profile is every bit as intense and in your face, and replicates the nose pretty closely. The beer is fairly sweet, but the boatload of spice keeps it from coming across as overly so. The amount of spice in this beer is almost over the top, but it also tends to give the beer almost a dry finish, which I liked. Mouthfeel is very full and rich, and the spicey flavors go on nearly forever. Drinkability is OK, though the noticeable alcohol, coupled with the sweet, spice filled flavor profile, make drinking this impressive beer very slow going. Regardless, I thought this a very interesting and impressive effort from Saint Arnold Brewing. This well made, full flavored beer reminds me very much of what I might expect of a mythical imperial Anchor X-mas ale. It's got that kind of richness, intensity, alcohol and spice. Very nicely done. Will wait till next winter I think to drink my last bottle to see what a year's aging does.

Edit from 11/15. Recently sampled this beer at the Draughthouse in Austin. At least for my money, this is easily the best pumpkin beer on the market today, with the beer displaying just the right amount of spice (a lot, but not over the top) and sweetness (again, not too sweet, with the beer drying out nicely on the finish). My current rating/score is almost identical to the one I made back in 2/10, though I thought the appearance on tap was a bit superior, and of course I had to up the overall score (previously, the drinkability score). Really a great beer from the folks at St. Arnold, and a treat to finally sample on the brewery's "home turf."

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout (?) with a nice off-white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of cinnamon and light pumpkin with a rich malt base. Taste is quite sublime with great notes of cinnamon mix with light pumpkin pie and a rich lactose forward malt base. Body is quite full with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very well brewed though maybe a tad too sweet. Definitely something I would like to have again.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great beer. With the disappointment of divine reserve 8, this is a keeper.

I am beginning to think I should avoid the "homebrew winner" divine reserves and focus on the Saint Arnold concocted divine reserves.

The smell is of pumkin spice and bakers chocolate and cholate malt with some roasted barley that balances, but doesn't overtake at all. In fact it is over shadowed by chocolate and chocolate malt.

The spice is powerful and the chocolate flavor is quite strong. This beer has a sort of milky chocolate flavor rather than a dark chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is ridiculously creamy.

I didn't even guess that this beer was 11 % alcohol. WOW! I'm amazed. Well done.

4.44/5  rDev +13%

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A two finger light tan head forms, and recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Some lace is left behind.
S: Wow, pumpkin pie and spice hits you right up front. Cinnamon and peppermint. As this warms up, lots of subtle aromas come out. Vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt. A light dark fruity flavor lingers. Really good.
T: Pumpkin pie and spice again. Roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon. Some hot alcohol as well. This is good.
M/D: A full body that is low on carbonation. Velvety smooth, decadent, and creamy. This is devilishly easy to drink. A bit of hot alcohol, but a great beer to sip on.

One of the better Divine Reserve's that I can remember. Some age should make this really interesting. Saint Arnold has made one hell of an ambitious and extreme beer. They said they wanted to make the best pumpkin beer ever. They might have done just that. Something I highly recommend

4.44/5  rDev +13%

Before I start I must preface with a little bit of background on this beer. Personally, I was super excited about this release, especially after being so pleased with DR #8. After lots of hype on various social mediums, this beer pretty much sold out everywhere they released it within the first few days. Thankfully, I was able to get 2 six packs (one given to me, and one I purchased from HEB), and plan on sitting on them for a bit and use as gifts to select friends, and the others to see how they age. Anyway, I've never been let down by St. Arnold, and I knew that this beer would be no exception. Already looking forward to DR #10!

A: Dark...very dark. Little bit of caramel brown head. Awesome.

S: Best part of this beer. Pumpkin, chocolate, some sort of nut that I can't make out, and definitely alcohol.

T: Sweet to the tongue. Heavy alcohol vibes (11% abv), but the aftertaste is the most delightful aftertaste of any beer I've had. Literally tastes just like pumpkin pie. Absolutely incredible.

M: Highly carbonated, but still pleasant.

D: If you can drink more than one, I applaud you. Very stout. Taking more than two sips at a time is about as far reaching as you can get. On opening night, a buddy got so excited that he had 4 throughout the night. Needless to say he had quite the "stouty" headache. This is certainly a "one and done" type beer, but I'm OK with that. With the rarity and price of this beer, I'm glad it one goes a long way.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

This Imperial Stout pours a deep black with some ruby highlights as the sunlight tries to penetrate it. The nose is full of pumpkin pie spices, the alluring aroma of alcohol, and some faint notes of nutmeg, caraway and vanilla. The taste starts with chocolate malt with a hint of spice and rolls into a warm spicy alcohol taste which seems to have the same effect as the balance that usually comes from the hop bittering. Overall, this beer finishes relatively dry for such a big beer. The pumpkin provides a pleasant undertone and a nice mouthfeel.

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz into tulip.

A- Dark, obsidian, with a nice sandstone head that diminishes quickly but leaves some pretty lacing. A film of bubbles lingers on the surface.

S- Spiced! Smells like Christmas. Pine, cinnamon, gingerbread, dark fruit.

T- I think the best way to describe this is as a gingerbread stout. Because that's exactly what it tastes like. I have been hit-or-miss with spices in beer, but this one, while heavy, is fantastic. Really something different here. Gingerbread with a dash of cinnamon and some chocolate malt. Mild roastiness and nutmeg as well.

M- Spices leave a great lingering taste, good carbonation and a creamy, full body.

D- Moderate, but oh-so-good. I was unsure going into this beer what I'd think. I'm glad I got to try it and glad I have another one to sit on. This is a very good and very unique beer.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

The Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 pours a deep black with a sizable light brown head. The head lingers a good amount of time and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

This beer smells very sweet. A strong pumpkin aroma is evident along with molasses, vanilla and cinnamon. I have to say this beer smells absolutely wonderful. But we shall see...

This is a complex beer. At first taste there is nice pumpkin flavor but there is much more there than that. While the aroma is sweet, the flavor is spicy. There is a lingering flavor of roasted malt and the alcohol is definitely there.

The mouthfeel is creamy with a light carbonation. This is definitely a tasty beer that would be wonderful on a cold winter evening. I give this one very high marks although I suspect it will be even better when it ages a year or two.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter

A: Pours a deep black with a dark brown head that fades to a small ring and leaves a tiny bit of lacing.

S: The nose is like a big piece of pumpkin pie in the glass. Lots of nutmeg, cinammon, and sweet pumpkin.

T: The taste mimics the nose, lots of pumpkin spices, nutmeg, cinammon, and other holiday spices. You can detect the alcohol but it's not that distracting to me. You can also taste the imperial stout backbone but it's hidden pretty well by the spices. I hope with some age this settles down and there's more roasty flavors.

M: One of the best mouthfeels from an imperial stout. Creamy, thick, and well carbonated.

D: I could easily drink a lot of these before the ABV kicked in. Goes down way too smooth.

If you can get some of this it's worth a try. If you like pumpkin spiced beer this one is definitely for you.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

Somewhat muddy, dark brown color. Not much in the way of head though seems to be "lively" enough. WOW in the aroma department! Liquid gingerbread! Soft molasses and spice notes. Mild dark treacle. Flavor is simply more of the same-a huge spiced slice of gingerbread. The touch of booziness almost makes it like a fruit cake or rum cake. Decent mouthfeel-a slight warming from the alcohol. Really a great beer-talk about a winter warmer. DEFINATELY allow this to warm for full enjoyment. YUMMY!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Was able to grab a sixer of this today and very glad. Ever since hearing about the style I've been curious how they were going to pull of the spice.

This one pours black with a nice toasted head that quickly turns into lacing. The aroma of warm gingerbread and spice makes you start to salivate. This smells exactly like late afternoon on Christmas with the family and all the deserts are getting laid out on the table. The taste quickly catches up where the aroma left off. Big gingerbread/pumpkin spice with a warm alcohol finish. The carbonation on this one is right on as of now. I bet in about a year of so #9 would be a bit more mellow but crisper than now. The finish is clean, crisp and leaves just a bit of spice to enjoy. For all the hype and everything that is expected from the Divine series this one did outstanding. It was a bit off the norm and sure is strong enough but at the same time showed something new and great that can be done by the guys in Houston. Congrats, well done.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - A deep ruby brown while pouring, but ends up all but black in the glass. A somewhat thin and fizzy head that dissipates quickly to a few wisps. The appearance is probably it's weakest aspect IMO.

S - Mmm, pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in the nose... in that order. Those are the basic components to pumpkin pie spice, and to tell you the truth I'm not exactly sure what pumpkin smells like, but I certainly know pumpkin pie. There's also a bit of alcohol in the nose, and maybe hints of ripe bananas. It's an outstanding holiday aroma.

T - Warm and spicy, as much from the aforementioned spices as from the alcohol. Dark malts and hints of chocolate wrap up the finish, with some very mild hop bitterness. I'm in a Christmas mood, so I'm really diggin this taste. It should be good for years to come as well.

M - A creamy, medium-thick body that goes down with ease. A fairly clean and dry finish, though quite warm from the alcohol. Average level of carbonation.

D - Surprisingly quaffable. If these were more available I'd probably make several night caps of them throughout the winter. As it stands, of the two sixers I was able to acquire, I was going to drink 3, cellar 3, and use 6 for trades. I've already had 2, so thats 2/3 of my drinking quota; so it's going to be very difficult to stick to my original plan.

Overall, this is a great stout. There's not much subtly about it; it's not an Imperial Stout with some pumpkin undertones, it's an Imperial _Pumpkin_ (Pie) Stout. I'd guess it'll be either love or hate for most folks, but for me, it's love.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company