Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Note from the brewery "Important: let this beer warm to at least 50° before enjoying".

Added by armock on 12-01-2009

Reviews: 118 | Ratings: 192
2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to BgThang for this extra. Served in a Bruery tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving half-finger of tan foam that settles to a thin ring and some wispy haze. Black body that is brown at the fringes.

S - Pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, pie crust, and some peripheral pumpkin flavor. Not much obvious stout underneath all those adjuncts. Still, as a pumpkin beer it's solid.

T - Taste is not as good, and the finish is amongst the worst I've ever encountered. There's a strange vanilla extra note that mingles with starchy squash.

M - Fizzy carbonation, medium-full body. The 11% is shockingly well hidden - I would have guessed 8%. I'll split the difference between the bad texture and amazingly disguised alcohol.

D - I suppose this is a step up from most malt liquors. You could get really drunk on this, if you can get past the awful aftertaste. I'd rather have a Pumking though.

2.52/5  rDev -35.9%

Provided by MasterSki, who finds it funny to unload bad beers on me.

A - Pours a black with reddish orange on the edges. Not much head to speak of, left the sides of the glass clean.

S - First thing I thought of was Midnight Sun TREAT when smelling this. Big pumpkin and nutmeg notes, very pumpkin pie-ish with a little bit of alcohol. Not exactly my thing, but fits the style.

T - Wow, this is pretty hideous. There is pumpkin and spice there, with some glove and a horribly starchy finish. Alcohol is actually pretty well hidden, unfortunately it is hidden by horrible taste. Has one of the worst finishes I've had in a while. Gross.

M - Overly fizzy, it is the first thing you notice. Otherwise pretty standard, full bodied, but too much carbonation.

D - Can't get by the horrible taste, particularly the finish on this. Pass.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

So when I poured this one out I rinsed the dregs out of the bottle and tasted them- pure spices, tasted just like super cinnamony applesauce, not at all yeast like I expected. Interesting and delicious. Sediment gets a 5/5

A- This is a black as night beer with no highlights. A full finger of head rose from the pour with a cocoa fading into a- dare I say it- orange color. But alas the beautiful pumpkin foam dissipated quickly leaving only a comet in the middle and a circle rimming the glass. For being 11% this beer is not a motor oil beer- no viscosity here.

S- Spices are the name of the game. I wish I had done a review of this beer earlier so I could remember better, but I don't recall it being this spicy. Cinnamon, brown sugar, pepper, ginger and molasses. It reminds me quite a bit of soft and moist ginger bread cookies with crystallized sugar. As it warms up some more roast comes out with licorice and coffee, but still the spices are king.

T- First taste impression- "That's ashy". And it is weirdly, but there's more- canned pumpkin, pepper, coffee grounds, burnt bourbon (yeah I know you probably can't burn bourbon...just think about it ok?). The spice is there- cinnamon and ginger and brown sugar and all that- but what dominates are a totally different set of flavors. Interesting.

M- This one's a sipper, the booze is pretty warming. It actually works out well for this super cold Texas night (15 and dropping), but it's hard to imagine they brewed it with Texas winters in mind.

D- This has a really great progression for a beer- when I take a sip the aroma hits my nose first, followed by a different set of flavors in my mouth, followed by a more boozy bourbony aftertaste, followed by the burn and lingering roast/ash. Each one isn't amazing, but together they form a great experience for a beer.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Drank from a 12 fl oz. bottle
Served in a snifter
Thanks to xpimptastikx for including this as an extra in our trade.

The liquid poured a thick brown/black color and was topped by a tight, creamy, cocoa colored head of foam. Large droplets of lacing trickled down the glass.

Spices and roasty notes came through strong in the nose. Pumpkin pie spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice were most apparent. Quite sweet. Caramel malts and brown sugar notes were also noticeable. Cold coffee appeared as well.

Roasted malts and dark chocolate appeared first in the flavor profile but were soon trounced by the potent spice notes. As in the nose, spices typically found in both pumpkin ales and winter warmers (ginger, clove, allspice, etc.) came through strong. Licorice notes appeared as well. The finish was dry and super roasty with some alcohol warmth. Slight metallic notes were also detectible.

The mouthfeel was medium-full bodied with a light, spritzy effervescence. Overall, a touch thinner than I was expecting for an 11% ABV double stout.

This was truly a unique pumpkin ale/winter warmer/double stout hybrid. While interesting, the intense spice notes were a bit overwhelming.

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz bottle, I gather from 2009.

Pours dark brown with crimson edging and a thin, partial head of tan. A few whisps of foam and better lacing throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and spiced rum. Somewhere between a glazed ham studded with cloves or a pumpkin pie, maybe both. Hints of chocolate and smoke follow through.

Medium bodied with a soft, creamy mouthfeel.

Brown sugar and an onslaught of pungent spice starts the palate. Heavy on the nutmeg, with cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, anise, and menthol.
Chocolate, dark caramel, and sweet malt follow through.

Finishes with ever-lingering holiday spice, loads of residuals and mild booze.

Whoa...Way too spicy and sweet for me. Not to mention this is supposed to be an Imperial Stout? Lacking much stout character. More akin to an spiced up Old Ale or perhaps approaching Porter territory.
Interesting, but finishing this one will be a bit of a chore.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

This has to be one of my favorite beers. Sadly, I have only had the pleasure of drinking 6-7 of them since they are so rare. First of all, the pumpkin is the 1st characteristic that comes across. Followed by a strong taste of alcohol, but not overwhelming nor "burning." Slight notes of cinnamon and other spices, but pumpkin clearly sticks out. Luckily, I got to have two right after it came out, and then a few more a couple of months later. The pumpkin and spice flavor has definitely mellowed over time. I would say it's just as good, but I loved it when it was sort of overwhelming it seemed much fresher, but the flavor changed and became more mature even in the course of a few months. The mouthfeel was nice and tasty. This was actually a beer you could keep drinking and it wasn't as heavy as you would expect. But, be careful, the 11.00% alcohol can catch up on you. The only downside is it seems the carbonation is slightly lacking, the head would barely form and I could see some people considering it to be flat, but I didn't get that. It could have been a little more carbonated. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers of all time and something I would like to recreate in my kitchen.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours black with brown edges and a thin brown head that quickly fades.

Nose is huge cinnamon spice cookies; cinnamon brown bread/cinnamon rolls with spice.

Mouthfeel is medium creamy and rich and well balanced.

Flavors are all sweet cinnamon coffee with some winter spice; black coffee mid palate with cinnamon and spices that goes to a sweet bitter espresso/soy/burnt brown sugar finish. Hints of soy sauce and molasses. Flavors are actually very bright and appealing. Sweet cinnamon is dominant here but well done, unique and flavorful.

Flavor profile would lend it to more of a sipper than one with food but high acid could prove me wrong on this one.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Shared by someone at the Splinter Black release. Poured into my Savor snifter.

Pours near black with a thin tan head and not too much of any lacing. The nose is pretty heavy on the spicing with a good amount of cinnamon and allspice coming through as well as some star abuse. Light chocolate and roast are there as well.

The flavor is quite heavy on the spicing and a bit overpowering in that manner. Pinch of licorice along with roast and mild chocolate coming through. Mouthfeel is a bit zippy with extra carbonation, perhaps just enhanced via the spices. Drinks decent enough. I like the concept but the spices were overdone and not balanced with one another.

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a snifter. Word was that this was really hot fresh, so I let it age a bit before giving it a go.

3.0 A: Black color. About a quarter finger of frothy light tan head. Poor retention and no lacing.

5.0 S: Wow, this is completely unexpected. This is full of spices and smells as if Halloween got in a head-on collision with Christmas. Allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, and cinnamon meets gingerbread, black licorice, molasses, and candied plums. The stout characteristics never make it past the spiciness, but that's okay considering how awesomely spicy the aromas is.

4.5 T: The stout comes through a bit stronger in the taste, but not much more so. Some roastiness, chocolate, and molasses. The show, once again, are the spices. All the pumpkin spices are in full force with nutmeg and cinnamon at the forefront. The Christmas aspects are equally strong, with ginerbread and sugar plums leading this army. Booze is minimal.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit low, but it seems to work well. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. The booziness I was expecting really isn't there much at all.

5.0 D: Overall just a really great beer. The spices are strong, but done well and in good combination. The nose is amazing, the taste is nearly as good, and the beer is unique.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

Somewhat muddy, dark brown color. Not much in the way of head though seems to be "lively" enough. WOW in the aroma department! Liquid gingerbread! Soft molasses and spice notes. Mild dark treacle. Flavor is simply more of the same-a huge spiced slice of gingerbread. The touch of booziness almost makes it like a fruit cake or rum cake. Decent mouthfeel-a slight warming from the alcohol. Really a great beer-talk about a winter warmer. DEFINATELY allow this to warm for full enjoyment. YUMMY!

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

I bought two six packs of this, one to drink, one to age for a year. The aging process did wonders for this brew. One sip and I'm reminded of pumpkin muffins with the dryness of ginger snaps. The kick that was there in the first six pack is definitely much stronger after a year of aging in my closet. This is a beer to enjoy in front of a fire or with friends. One point, I can't taste the chocolate that I could detect at first. I know this beer is somewhat unconventional but I really enjoyed it. It is one of the best offerings yet from the divine reserve lineup. If you haven't had Saint Arnold yet, come down to Houston for some of Texas' finest beer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

St. Arnold Divine Reserve #9

Dark brown appearance, rich, roasty tan head atop, lasting, staying.

Aroma: what a trip! candied apples, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, gingerbread, spiced apples is the main thing. Pumpkin pie spices. Wonderful. Is this a pumpkin ale. (I have no idea what bottle I opened, apparently.)

Taste: boom! More spices, this time darker, richer, warm and fuzzy. Licorice, brown sugar, some whiskey, as well.
No more pumpkin flavor, so it's not that, but is it bourbon barrel-aged? I'll look it up later, but for now I just enjoy.
Heck of a winter warmer, this one. Sweet and tasty spice, holding court over a dark, delicious ale.
Mmm, christmas cookie.
Ever so nice.
Drenched in dark rum, and set on fire.
Yum.

(11%? I had no idea!)

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

Received this one in a trade a long time ago. Thanksgiving eve seemed like a good time to crack it open.

A - Pours into a tulip revealing a very dark body and cola-like head, which quickly dissipates to nearly nothing.

S - This is one of those beers you smell the moment the cap comes off, and it is impressive. Tons of spice - nutmeg, cinnamon, and a boatload of pumpkin. A nice roasted malt base is present as well.

T&M - The spice and pumpkin are very up front here. A big contrast to other pumpkin beers I've recently had. There is a metalic porter flavor here, but overall the spices win out big time. I feel like my teeth are coated in pure essence of Thanksgiving. A little on the thin side at this point as well, which leaves it feeling slightly grainy. Overall, not balanced but extremely flavorful.

D - This is a unique beer. I'm just now seeing that it is 11%. I thought it was around 9, so the alcohol is somewhat hidden. That lingering cinnamon spice finish is enough alone to classify this one as a sipper though. A tasty one at that.

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this one.

Pours a deep black color, pretty much completely opaque, with about a finger of tan head. Doesn't keep very well, a rimjob really. So many stouts have such beautiful head and excellent retention that the lack of it here is disappointing.

The smell does not lack in robustness, however, despite the lack of head. I immediately get a good amount of spicing, like cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some clove. Maybe I'm out of my mind but it really reminds me of the pumpkin spice muffins sitting on my counter. There is a good amount of roasted malt and some chocolate too, plus some dark caramel, but the spicing is really interesting. I get some anise as well. Pretty unique for an imperial stout and very appealing.

Taste has a very smooth caramel, chocolate and roasted malt base, with no hint of alcohol despite the high ABV. Like the nose there is a lot of spice here, and the beer has a sort of bready quality to it as well. I'm thinking about those pumpkin muffins again (minus the pumpkin), with similar spice qualities as the nose offered...nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. A touch of anise, and some ginger too. Complex and really flavorful; I like it.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and extremely smooth. I don't know if it was a bit hot when fresh but it certainly is not now. It's very smooth, soft on the palate and clean in the finish. No rough edges here at all.

This is really a nice beer, and definitely the best of the Reserve series that I have had. As I go and read some other reviews now I see that I am, in fact, not crazy regarding the spicing, so that's a good thing (I knew zip about this beer before cracking the cap). I wish I had a few more bottles because it's really nice. A very interesting beer and I quite enjoyed it. Thanks Kevin!

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured black with a fizzy tan head covering the top of the beer. The head retreated fairly quickly to the edges of the glass where it remained.

The aroma shows a lot of pumpkin spice to it. Some nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon all come through. I get a little bit of a canned pumpkin like flavor to it as well.

The taste shows a lot of the same pumpkin pie spices that were present in the aroma. The cinnamon is a bit stronger in the taste though. Some chocolate and roasted malts start to come through towards the finish, and the chocolate lingers for a bit with the spices. Some alcohol warmth comes through in the finish too.

The mouthfeel is about average for the style and carbonation feels pretty high. Drinkability is pretty decent, it had some nice pumpkin pie spice mixed with some stout flavors. Overall I found it just a bit too spiced. Would have really liked a bit less spice and a bit more of a real pumpkin flavors in it. Overall a pretty good pumpkin beer though.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a snifter.

A - pitch black with a nice brownish head on top. Good lacing.

S - a ton of pumpkin and spice dominate the nose.

T - PUMPKIN, spice, some malty sweetness, and alcohol.

T - it's good, but a little over the top with all the pumpkin and spice. Not really getting any chocolate flavors. The alcohol warmth adds a tingly feeling to the palate, which isn't the best thing in the world.

M - really carbonated, very spice dominated. Too sweet.

D - a nice beer to share with someone, but not something I could have more than one of in a sitting.

2.22/5  rDev -43.5%

Poured into duck rabbit snifter

Pours a vibrant copper color. Small layer of fizzy tan head. Beer settles near black.

Aroma: Bright pumpkin flavor. Cinnamon and other spices. Nutmeg. Some chocolate and roasted malts. Not very stout like.

Taste: Well, it is pretty big. Lots of pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon spices. Much more roasted here with chocolate and caramel malts. Alcohol shows as well.

Mouthfeel: Spiced, dry, and hot. Full bodied with a lot of carbonation. Fizzy. Ends with booze showing and roasted malts.

Overall, this is crazy hard to drink. I dread taking sips of it. Why would anybody want to make a beer like this? Way to much pumpkin and spice. It is one of the hardest beers to drink that I have encountered.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep brown with redish hues, forming a thin 1/4 inch dark mocha head which fades quickly.

S - Strong aroma of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and roasted malts!!! Exremely delicious aroma.

T - The pumpkin spices are not as strong in the taste as in the aroma. The flavor starts out with a nice full roasted malt taste with a light coffee taste throughout. The pumpkin and spices really come out more in the finish. Again, the pumpkin and spices are there, but not overpowering. Very complimentary to the stout characteristics.

M - Nice heavy body with low carbonation. Very smooth and clean. No harsh aftertastes hanging around in the finish.

D - By far my favorite St. Arnold beer to date! Awesome full complex flavor, great body and mouthfeel, and a very inviting aroma to compliment!! What more could you ask for? I really hope they add this to their seasonal line-up!!

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

bottle thanks to someone. poured black with a cream colored head and light ruby highlights at the bottom. aromas of pumpkin spices, chocolate, roasted malts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. very nice on the palate with flavors of chocolate, pumpkin, alcohol, spices, (more cinnamon and nutmeg) and roasted malts.

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

mhewes sent me a bottle of this as an extra. Thanks, Michael!

Pouring blackish brown with reddish brown highlights, this beer is capped with a dense, brown head with below average retention and a little lacing. That the head recedes to a ring rather quickly isn't much of a surprise given the ABV, though.
The nose is quite excellent. Spiced pumpkin and chocolate, there's nutmeg, allspice, vanilla and a rich, fudge-like chocolate. A mellow pumpkin character is present underneath it all, but the pairing between the spices and the chocolate is thoroughly enjoyable. Moderate roast character is present, along with a touch of licorice.
The palate opens with a rather big spice character, rather unbalanced. That's a tragedy, because the nose is just excellent. With mostly mace and allspice, there's almost a mild astringency. Bitter dark chocolate is present, along with some molasses, brown sugar and caramel. The pumpkin flavor is rather hidden, this is mostly just spiced chocolate. Drying on the finish with a definite heat, this beer is quite the beast. The flavors on the finish are wonderful, with an excellent blend of chocolate and spice, with a little vanilla. Medium in body, this beer is rather over-carbonated. As for drinkability? Something this big requires respect, but I feel needs more than I can afford right now. If only the opening flavors were better, this would be a top notch beer. As it loses carbonation, it improves quite dramatically, and I have to up the MF score from 3.5 to 4

As it warms up, the spice character grows, but by allowing it to breathe, the astringency strangely reduces. Either that, or I just got krunked on 4oz of beer. I hope it's not the latter, 'cos I've got 8oz to go.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle, as an extra in a trade a good bit ago...served in a DFH signature glass

A - poured with a quarter inch or so of loose bubbly khaki colored foam, falls to a thin layer and ring fairly quickly. the beer is near black with some dark ruby tones when held up to light.

S - hmmm...lots of spices, cinnamon, gingerbread, cloves, some licorice, pumpkin, some roasted malt...quite unique. have no idea what this one is going to taste like.

T - very interesting here as well. drinks like a weird hybrid of a Pumpkin/Xmas/RIS. starts off with some slightly bitter bold roasted pumpkins, turning into slightly sweet licorice and dark fruits, finishes with some ginger and christmas spices. other notes of dark chocolate, roasty coffee, and molasses.

M - a little thin in the body with some sharp small-bubbled carbonation. finishes with lingering spices and bitterness.

D - weird. cant say i hated it, but this is certainly a winter beer, and one 12oz should be shared (possibly three ways).

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from twiggamortis420. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a pint glass, formed a 1 3/4" dark brown head above the almost opaque dark brown brew. Head recedes gradually, with plenty of chunky lacing. Aroma is chocolate and alcohol. Taste is semisweet chocolate to start and through the middle, a touch of root beer, with a chalky close. Not feeling the 11%. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is alright. Flavors are a bit harsh, and don't come together as much as I would like. Bet this with some age would be interesting.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle courtesy of JosephLondon. Thanks a ton, man!

Divine Reserve #9 pours a chocolate fudge color. Looks onyx from where I'm sitting. No light's cutting through this one. A dark, mocha colored head tops it off nicely. It only stands about a finger and a half tall, and dissipates quickly. Lacing was on the light side.

The nose is pretty good. It's very spicy. Pumpkin, nutmeg, and ginger are very strong in the mix. In fact, they tend to mask some of the other scents I know should be here. There is a bit chocolate, and some secondary notes of molasses, pepper, and black licorice. But the spices seem to hog the spotlight a little too much. Alcohol is noted on the tail. At 11%, that's not exactly a shocker.

The flavor is alright. I'm wrestling with how much I like it at the moment. The spices are certainly the focal point. Pumpkin, nutmeg, and ginger flavors are all noted. They're strong throughout. There are some stout elements present. Most notable are chocolate and light coffee. The chocolate flavor is bittersweet and cocoa-ish. Black licorice, molasses, pepper, and anise round out the secondary level. Alcohol is noted, and is a little warm. It's not quite hot, but it's not far. It has spicy finish, leaving plenty of pumpkin and ginger clinging to the palate.

This Divine Reserve release has a medium body and light carbonation. It is smooth, but feels too thin for what it is. More body would help. Drinkability is rather average. The flavor's alright, but the spices grown somewhat tiresome. It's also warm and a little boozy.

I'm a big fan of Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve Series. While #9 is probably my least favorite to date, I'm sure they'll get things back on track. This one's alright, but loses its way. The spices overshadow the stout elements. It needs to be the other way around. The spices should complement rather than mask. More body would also be a good thing. Nonetheless, it's worth a try. However, if you don't care for pumpkin spice flavors in your beer, skip this one.

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to Mora2000 for this brew. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if my score doesn't really suggest that.

A - Stout, with a tan head, appears a bit thin.

S - I smell light roasty tones, big pumpkin pie aroma, vague smoke, chocolate and cinnamon-nutmeg. Though it is somewhat overpowering, It is still a very intriguing and well-formed aromatic bouquet.

T - Big pumpkin, good heat and some charred wood, kind of a pumpkin-latte flavor, especially towards the finish. Pumpkin lingers perhaps too long and strong. At first, the pumpkin spice was at a sickening level, but then either I adjusted or it mellowed out.

M - Thin, but well-carbonated.

D - Very interesting, but hard to even drink a 12oz. bottle of. I can't believe I'm saying that! But seriously, this is no TREAT. It does benefit significantly from airing out and warming up, making it markedly more drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

This was shared at a local tasting. Review was taken from notes.

Pours dark mahogany with a very nice tan head.

Smells like pumpkin and spices. It reminds me of my Grandma's pumpkin pie.

The taste follows the nose, but slightly sweeter.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy, much like pie.

This was an interesting and surprising treat. Mabe I will serve some of these next Thanksgiving instead of real pie.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company