Pumpkinator | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

This is the same beer as Divine Reserve #9. If you have already reviewed that beer, please do not review it again here or you risk losing the older review when the listings are merged.

Added by FUNKPhD on 10-14-2011

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

2.28/5  rDev -46.4%

I knew that a cask was being breached at a local restaurant at 7pm and went there early to secure a table as I expected there to be a crowd come 7pm. While waiting I had 2 pints of St. Arnold's "Endeavor" strong ale (aka Divine Reserve #13) before receiving my first glass of Pumpkinator. I immediately thought I had made a step backwards taste wise plus its claimed 10% abv is surely wrong, more like 6.5%. In the expectation of sampling a classic pumpkin ale I had also taken 64 ozs of empty Growler bottles to be filled with Pumpkinator, and whose contents I am now slowly sampling. I still feel that it is way over rated and not a beer that I will ever buy again. Its after taste reminds me of that after eating a Middle Eastern dessert cake. Yuk.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Would like to see more head in the serving.
slightly clove like, toasted malts with cinamon.
The taste and mouthfeel are the most appreciated aspects of this beer. Most of the flavor comes on the front or initial taste and finishes dry without any lingering taste/bitterness. Most importantly, this beer leaves my throat warmed and happy, reminiscent of a mulled wine or cider.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Poured jet black with one finger of dark brown head that fades slowly, spots of chunky lacing stick on the sides of my tulip glass.

Smell: Lots of cinnamon and brown sugar, some burnt pumpkin, and then I get notes of chocolate, coffee, and more roastiness. Pumpkin character is there, but I get a lot of stout quality, impressive.

Taste: Brown sugar, burnt pumpkin and cinnamon come to mind. I get some nutmeg and allspice as well. Some chocolate character as well, but a good balance without overdoing the allspice as some pumpkin ales tend to do.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a fairly smooth texture. Alcohol well hidden and this drinks nicely without being overly cloying.

Overall: I thought this was fantastic. I really enjoy pumpkin in a stout setting so this hit home with me. I will definitely be purchasing some more!

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. Code on the bottle neck has 297 as the first numbers. Maybe it was bottled on the 297th day of 2013?

A- Pours a 99% opaque black color with a 1/4 inch dark tan head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a center patch of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a thick ring behind.

S- Intense clove spice with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Smells a lot like potpourri and it's so heavy that it borders on medicinal. All I can smell are the spices, no roasted malt or alcohol.

T- Allspice, nutmeg, clove, more allspice, cinnamon, sugar and more allspice. This could be the most spice-laden beer I've ever had. The dark roast does come through in the flavor but it's certainly not doing much to balance things out. The alcohol is quite well-hidden but it's not surprising since you'd be hard pressed to taste anything beyond the spice overload that's occurring.

M- Not as viscous or creamy as I was hoping. Medium-low carbonation and a full body.

O- It tastes good but it's just way too heavy on the spice. I'm slightly disappointed because everyone's been telling me this is one of the greatest pumpkin beers.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A truly exceptional pumpkin stout from St. Arnold. And definitely my favorite of the style. It tops Southern Tiers Warlock in my opinion. My only critique is that I wish the body was a little heavier. But still, Wow. Pick this up if you see it.

Pumpkinator from Saint Arnold Brewing Company