Saint Arnold Sailing Santa | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: American IPA

Sailing Santa is a deep copper colored blend of our Christmas Ale and Elissa IPA with spices added. The result is a pleasantly hoppy strong dark ale with spices. The genesis of this beer came from our customers on tours asking to blend the two beers. Eventually, someone came up with the name Sailing Santa. We have now added spices to the beer, changing the mix slightly from year to year, to add to the holiday experience of enjoying a pint. We actually brew a batch of Christmas Ale, then a batch of Elissa IPA and blend them in the fermenter. We add the spices at the end of fermentation.

For the 2015 version, we were able to get our hands on a brand new hop, called Snap, which is actually a blend of hops, spices and botanicals. What exactly is in there? We can't say. How do you blend hops with spices and botanicals? We can't say. We can tell you that the new hop, added at the end of fermentation, adds a ginger snap aroma and a complexity that makes Sailing Santa taste like the holidays.

Our Sailing Santa is pure, with no additives or preservatives. In order to maintain the freshest flavor possible, we do not pasteurize our beer. Many of its subtle flavors are delicate and would not stand up to the heat of pasteurization. We recommend that this product be stored cold to avoid any degradation in flavor. You will notice that the spice notes decrease over time.

Added by SWMeyer4141 on 11-20-2011

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big Favorite! They knock it out of the park.

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Saint Arnold Sailing Santa has a rather thin, cream-colored head and a pretty clear, bubbly, copper appearance, with some lacing left behind. The aroma is subtle, but one can pick up some fruitiness and brown bread crust. Taste is of brown bread, brown sugar, fruity and piney hops, and it has a pleasant, bitter undertaste. The mouthfeel is medium, and Saint Arnold Sailing Santa finishes crisp, refreshing, pleasant, mentholated, and quite drinkable. Overall, this is a most excellent offering, and I recommend it!

RJT

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.44/5  rDev +22%

4.44/5  rDev +22%

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 version. St. Arnold's Elissa I.P.A. and Christmas Ale are both solid brews respectively, however they are certainly not the brewer's best work in my opinion. Blending them together in a winter holiday setting perfectly balanced what I liked about both beers, and the spices definitely brought everything together. Great hop aroma, which compelled me to take the first sip out of the bomber...and it was so good I never got a chance to see what the beer even looked like the first time I had this one! Bought it again shortly after, and poured it into a glass. Looks pretty. Nice orange copper color, with a decent head, and excellent lacing. In retrospect, I liked it better straight out of the bomber. The crisp hop taste of Elissa, the smooth character of Christmas Ale, blended together with gingerbread-like spices made for the best remedy against snobby in laws this holiday season. I hope Santa sails my way, and puts this beer in my stocking.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

BA app considers my rating an "outlier" and won't let me submit it without a review. Honestly, I'm not sure why it's not better reviewed. I thought this was a pretty exceptional beer.

I kept it in my fridge for a while loathing drinking another mediocre IPA (supposedly). I was pleasantly surprised to find this really wasn't an IPA at all. The malty overtones with the holiday spices and just enough to hops to balance it out made this a beer I'd want to grab again and one I'll look forward to next year.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured into a large brandy snifter. Pours hazy copper with a white head that doesn't last. There's quite a bit of visible carbonation in the beer. There are some aromas of hops with a good backbone of toffee and bread. The hops have some citrus and pine notes, but these are more subdued. The flavor is of toffee and bread with some citrus and pine notes in the back. There's some spiciness as well. The flavors come together well, but this doesn't quite fit the IPA bill. This is still a winter warmer. There's a spiced candy aftertaste that clears out pretty quickly. The body is medium to full with adequate carbonation. The finish is very smooth and is pretty clean. This is an excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 batch poured into a snifter glass.

Pours a deep copper with 1/2 finger of white head with good lacing. This batch is a great improvement with elements of malty complexity from Christmas ale and hop flavor and aroma from Elissa. All of this is enhanced thanks to the holiday spices and Snap hops. Fantastic festive brew.

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%

Honestly, this year's version (2015) and ratings should cause for a new name. With the addition of new hops and gingerbread aroma and flavors, this beer underwent a welcoming change. It still has the traditional Christmas Ale and Elissa tones but with something extra and special. I'll be picking up some extra bombers over the next few weeks.

Saint Arnold Sailing Santa from Saint Arnold Brewing Company