Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Reviews by sprucetip:
3.61/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Really good lookin brew, amber/orange with fluffy white head, good retention and it is very active.

Aroma reminds me of sweaty sock. Sorry to say, but that's what comes to mind. Breaking it down, it is boozy with something like sour citrus combining and fusing into the aforementioned summary. I can't detect any of the malt bill, which I suspect is prodigious. ... Later I get a wee bit or sweetness.

The taste is boozy and bitter primarily. Later I pick up a bit more, but it still doesn't quite work for me. The hop flavor is dull and muted, and the bitterness isn't sharp, but it lingers. There isn't much complexity and it it would be hard to call balanced. What hop flavor I do get is sorta citrusy, but it would be a big stretch to call it fruity. I get a wee bit of sweetness, but, ultimately, it's mostly boozy and bitter and kind of a disappointment.

Plenty carbonated, medium body, bitter finish lingers.

I suspect that this bottle is old or was not handled properly. It has a 4.22 overall score as of this review, and it seems to have the elements in it that could lead to such high regard. But I neither tasted nor smelled any caramel (though it looks to maybe have some crystal in it), and the hops taste and smell stale. The booze is the most prominent component of the nose and the taste. It's close to being really good, but the sample I have is not. I am visiting Texas and rooting for the home team here, but am disappointed with Endeavour, based on high expectations due to its high score. I'd try it again, though, especially if on tap or I knew it were fresh.

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a deep Amber. Not much head. Smells like grapefruit, mango, and pine. Tastes initially sweet like pineapple and nice malt. Immediately taken over by hops. Good mouth feel with sticky resinous quality that finishes dry. Good brew.

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The more of these I drink, the more I like them. Super enjoyable/ drinkable brew at 8.9%. You barely notice the ABV. The hop/ malt balance is excellent, each distinguishable, but in perfect harmony, not opposition.

Not that Saint Arnie is known for being IPA innovators, but as a Texan, I can say this is probably their best IPA offering to date. So good, and a bang-for-buck winner at $6 a bomber.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

3.72/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tall tulip on tap at BJ's Willowbrook in Houston. Really pretty coppery amber hue with a nice , white head that lasted well. The aroma was of tropical fruits and citrus. Nice bitterness on entry which deepened on the palate. Plenty of malt to balance all those IBU's. A very well-balanced DIPA, for sure. I actually prefer the hop profile of Art Car (yes, I know that's a bit of "apples to oranges" comparison since Art Car isn't an Imperial) but this is certainly a very well made beer that I'll bet would gain some complexity with a little bottle age.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%