Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool label art and branded pressure cap acquired at me local HEB Grocery yesterday and served into a Spaten Stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high seeing as it's currently #21 on the Top 50 (Southwest) list. "Endeavour IPA [Squared Symbol]." "Brewed with lots of Simcoe, Centennial & Columbus hops." I dig the British-English spelling of "Endeavour", but their omission of the oxford comma when describing the hops is a bit frustrating. Best before 09/31. Reviewed as an Imperial (Double) IPA because Saint Arnold identifies it as such on their website. 76 IBUs. 1.078 OG.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The cap popped off with alarming ease; they may need a new capper on their bottling line. I mean, Jaysus.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a head three and a half fingers wide, of beige colour. Disappointingly thin, lending it a weak appearance. Subpar creaminess to boot. Sticky cobwebby lacing clings string-like to the sides of the glass. The head resembles that of a cask ale - and I mean that in the most incisive manner possible. Head retention is slightly above average - maybe three minutes at best.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks rather average for an imperial IPA. Indeed, many poor Imperial IPAs/IPAs I've had share this appearance. There's nothing unique or special about it, but I'm optimistic. No overt flaws are evident.

Sm: Substantial caramalt. Pale malts. Munich malts. Sticky sweet maltiness. The toasted munich malt character is a highlight.

Surprisingly tame floral hop character with some vague, buried fruit. Shockingly, malts beat out hops for dominance in the aroma. I'm suspicious of the beer as a result.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. It's a pleasant aroma, but it's not bringing a lot to the table for a beer of its style. Not at all assertive or hop-emphatic. Mild in strength.

T: Yeah, the malts crush the hops here - not at all ideal for a beer of this style. Resembles a cask-drawn mildly hopped English IPA at best.

Still, it's got a nice interplay between caramalt (which isn't overly sweet here) and mango and grapefruit hop notes and their accompanying fruity esters.

Plenty of munich and pale malts. Peach. A bit of floral hop character. We even get some actual hop bitterness just after the climax, but it's quickly covered up again by the pale malt (i.e. 2 row) sweetness. Normally, I like that there's no naked hop bitterness, but in this beer I'm happy to get anything hoppy at all. I get some flax-like flowery notes in the third act, which is a nice touch. The balance of the beer is growing on me the more I drink it; it's got an understated quality and doesn't beat you over the head like many beers in the style. But it's rare to see such a sorry waste of centennial and columbus hops. I pick up on the simcoe; there is a touch of oniony character - especially in the third act and on the finish. I like that note, but those of you who don't may want to stay away.

I do get some lightly zesty rind-like fruity notes, including mango, grapefruit, and adjacent fruits. Ultimately, the flavour profile does land on the sweeter end, which I would think would draw out the critics - yet the beer currently has a 93 rating. How about that?

It's not a perfect marriage of hops to malts by any means, and ultimately the balance is imperfect. Not a gestalt beer, but it's got fluidity and cohesion. Decent amplitude.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side. Average duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour for the style. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Do I like it? Sure. But it lacks complexity and subtlety. Seems like a happy accident of brewing.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not particularly creamy. Sticky. Good carbonation (in spite of its cask ale appearance). Nice body. Good thickness. Decent presence on the palate for what it is. It complements the flavour profile nicely, but it never quite feels as though it's custom-tailored to it.

Dr: I'll only be buying this again for trade partners (Duff27, I'm looking at you). It's a nice little IPA for what it is, but there's just not much that's memorable about it to keep me coming back at this price point. Hides its ABV well. It's certainly drinkable; I'll have no trouble killing the bomber alone. I wouldn't want another at a bar if there were new beers available to try. I can see why it has its audience, and I'm glad it does, but why it has a top 50 spot on the Southwest list is beyond me. I look forward to trying more Saint Arnold offerings, but if this is the best they've got they're not going to be a brewery I give much money to.

High C+

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a great amber color, slightly hazy from the hops. Head is 2 fingers thick with excellent retention

Aroma is great. I smell some grapefruit and citrus with a little bit of pine. The downside is that a bit of fusel alcohol comes through. I realize this is an 8.9% abv beer.

Taste is very bitter from the hops which is expected in an IPA. I get a bit of grapefruit, but really I want more hop flavor rather than just the bitterness. Some caramel malt sweetness comes to balance a bit. A touch of sweetness at the tip of the tongue. A touch of soapiness on the palate towards the end

Mouthfeel leaves a full. Carbonation is left on the palate. Finishes a bit dry, but pretty good.

Overall: this is a pretty damn good example of a double IPA. Proud that it came from Texas. There is a bit of fusel alcohol on the palate. Good hop flavor and good malt profile. I would like a bit more hop flavor and a little less fusel alcohol. For the style the fusel alcohol is not bad compared to other beers in this category.

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A. Amber in color with a decent head, doesn't stick around though. Little to no lacing.
S. citrus, piney woods robust sweetness, this smell is perfect
T. Imediate bitter hop flavor , the malt is subtle and is overwhelmed by hops
M. Not really bubbly, but easy and smooth, as much as can be expected from 70 + IBU's
O. A hop slam dunk, overall great smelling beer with good hops . I wish there was a six pack available though, since 16 oz is a little much for me. I enjoyed this bomber with a friend. It was just right.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company