Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Reviews: 160 | Ratings: 849
3.62/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden-brown, with a big bubbly light-light tan head of foam on top. Lots of bubbles in the body, but not too much complexity in the body.

S: Sweet malts. Caramel. Hops. Sweet Pine. Sweet Citrus. Spices. Very sweet smelling brew with spices. A good-smelling IPA.

T: Sweet malty caramel taste with a sharp bitter finish. A little one note. There's some complexity while the beer sits on the tongue, but disappears rather quickly.

M: Medium to heavy body (got heavier as beer warmed) with really good carbonation. Nice much chewiness, and what's there really showcases the booziness. Little bit of an oily feel here. The feel is mostly hit or miss.

O: This IPA is just above average. To the appearance to the taste to the feel. It's mostly a one note brew. Not terrible or anything, but I can get better IPAs at my local grocery store. *Note -- this beer was bottled in April, so freshness might be the issue here. Tough to say.

Thanks to ApostleBrewing for this one.

Nice creamy head rises to 1 finger before fading fairly quickly with decent lacing, semi clear honey amber color.

Nose brings semi sweet malts, light caramel and toffee, then fruity and candy hops, hint of citrus and candied orange peel, not a huge bitterness.

Taste starts with sweetness again, honey even, caramel, toffee, sweet malty flavors etc. bitterness comes with decent hops, slight earthy and candied orange peel tasting hops with a light fruity hop kick, fairly bitter but not crazy. Nice balance and booze is hidden well. Finish is drier, but slightly sticky, caramel malts and nice earthy hops lingering but not bitter.

Mouth is heavier bodied, decent carb, hint of warming booze.

overall nice, not the hop bombs they like to make these days, malty balance that hides the booze well and nice malty flavor and balance with some candy fruity hops. Tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into s tulip glass, this arrived at the store yesterday so I assume it'd mostly fresh. This pours a nice mostly clear amber color with a decent creamy off white head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of pine, and caramel. The feel is medium to a little thick. The taste is pretty great, a nice high amount if hops, something I didn't think Saint Arnold ever did. A little caramel and sweetness to balance it off but the hops are the star here.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

Endeavour is a looker. Orange gold in color with a soft white cap that lasts and laces the glass. Large hop oil slicked bubbles from a deep pour refuse to pop on the surface.

The nose to me should be bolder for an IIPA. Don't get me wrong there is a strong hop presence with gobs of tropical fruit and pine, but an imperial should punch you in the face with hops.

Now this is what I'm talking about! The taste is almost all hops with a start to finish hop bill supported by sweet caramelized malts. Those hops range from tropical to resin and really hit the spot.

Mouthfeel also steps up the pace with complimentary pinch to the mouth full of hop flavors. A good carbonation delivers that tand to every taste bud and makes this a great drinking experience. I'm glad St. Arnold brought this one back. This is a solid beer and one I hope to see again and again in the fridge. I just have to beat my wife to them before she drinks them all.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

The beer is a light semi-transparent amber color with a nice fluffy two finger head that disapears pretty quickly, but laces quite nicely. The nose is dominated by hops, a little piny and grassy, with some citrus, cotton candy, a little roast malt, and some barley. The beer is nice and sweet, surprisingly not too bitter. It's dominated mostly by the hops, with the malt providing the sweetness, the bitterness rounds out on the first taste and upon going down, on the back of the tongue. There is a little citrus/grapefruit in the flavor as well as a little booze. The beer has a nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, with a little bite, but very easily drinkable. Overall it's a great beer, not quite as hoppy as I'd like, but definitely the best that I've had from Saint Arnold's.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Saint Arnold Endeavor has a thick, creamy, cream-colored head and a clear, bubbly amber appearance. Lacing is not too heavy. The aroma is of sharp pine oil and citrus, with an underlying cream cheese smell. Taste is of sweet bread, strong citrus bitterness, cheese, and the alcohol does present itself in the undertaste. Mouthfeel is medium, and Saint Arnold Endeavor finishes mostly dry and fairly easy drinking. Even with its odd, slightly off aftertaste, I still think it’s very good.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Firstly, I would like to thank my friend Jeremiah for sending this to me. Not normally available in CA, so this is a nice opportunity to try some out-of-state craft beer!

Unsure when it was bottled, but keep in mind that this beer spent a week on a truck from TX to CA so that may or may not have had an effect.

Poured from a 22oz bomber in to a regular pint glass.

A- Starting off, it pours an amber color, clear with a little hint of red. Very attractive. Poured carefully so there's no head.

S- Hoppy and piney. Unfortunately I've been experiencing allergies so my sense of smell isn't the greatest, but it certainly smells good.

T- Here's where it gets good. It doesn't start off with the usual hop-forward bitterness that most IPAs have. It eases in to the bitterness and hoppiness. Kind of sweet, floral and overall really well balanced. A little bit of lingering bitterness on the back end but it's not unpleasant.

M- medium body, good carbonation. Nothing excessive or exceptional.

O- Pretty damn good beer. Wish my allergies weren't acting up so I could enjoy it more, but still very good nonetheless. From what my buddy Jeremiah tells me, it's $7/bottle which is a little steep considering the local offerings here to me in CA, but still pretty good.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally bought this one, (was a bit p;ricey for my blood)

poured from the 22 oz bomber into my new belgium goblet:

A: nice show on the pour, solid tighly bound 2 finger head and really p;retty lacing:
orangeish brew with a bit of cloudiness:

S: oh yeah the HOPS> its been awhile since I treated myself to a IPA oh man it's good pineyness

T: ipa bite of hops

M oily in a good way

D: a bit much to guzzle but do it anyway! hahaha

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

First ever offering I've tried from Saint Arnold but damn was I impressed, one of the best IPA's I've ever had a chance to try. Oozes of hoppiness, yet has an uncanny balance to it and a great maltiness to make sure it isn't too overbearing. Fantastic beer, was a pleasure to drink and disappeared from the glass way too quickly.

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

Had it out of a tulip glass. Deep gold coloring. Sticky, oily head. Hallmark double IPA stuff. Smells citrusy, not too much alcohol on the nose. Tastes like grapefruit, packed with American hops. Bitter, but not unbalanced considering other beers I've had in this style. Taste that coats the tongue. I'm giving this a high rating because it's a very nice beer, but it isn't exactly anything new. First double IPA I've had from St. Arnold (I think), and considering the less than memorable Elisa I think this is a definite improvement.

3.41/5  rDev -17.6%

220z bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone glass. It poured dark amber, slightly orange in color with a thin, sticky, off-white head to it.

The aroma shows more of a candied fruit and bready malt presence to it. I get good amount of pine to it mixing with a bit of a tropical fruit like presence. It's got some orange flavors to it that's almost like a mix of candied oranges and orange juice. The hoppiness seems a little light, or potentially faded to me.

The taste also has a pretty bold candied fruit presence to it with notes of orange, grapefruit and a touch of mango. It's also very malty and bready with some slight caramel tones. Again, the hoppiness seems a little dull or faded.

The mouthfeel feels a little on the heavier side for the style with carbonation being average. Overall it was a pretty good beer, but the hoppiness fell a little short of expectations. It actually felt pretty balanced between hoppy and malty, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It just seemed to lack some of the bold, juicy, fresh hoppiness I love.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Houston, Texas has always been a place of great diversity.
Where a mix of cultures and customs clash, and nearly always something to find entertaining.

Fast forward to this year, we finally solidify our spot as the greatest brewing city in the South. With the magnificent releases of Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA and Karbach Weiss Versa, we now hold two of the greatest beers in the world.

We have been waiting for this moment for a long time, and it couldn't be a more exciting time for our city.

Our focus today, the dangerously hopped to perfection Endeavour.

Sold only in 22oz Bombers, this West Coast focused IPA comes with a twist. Brewed with an enormous amount of hop variety's. Though strongly focused on the "C" strains.

Straight up this is one of the most balanced IPA's I've ever consumed. It goes down with ease, and in a blind tasting I'd say 5%-6% ABV at the most. Damn could I be anymore wrong, sporting it's 8.90% ABV level, but barely scratching a note of hint of alcohol to guide you to this conclusion.

It's predominately focused citrus body covered with notes of papaya, grapefruit, orange, and lemon peel. It's very citric, leading to only just a hint of bitterness and rind. Though lacking the pure hop complexity of beers like Pliney the Elder. This is far beyond in balance and overall drinkability. It's easily one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever consumed and that's saying a lot because of my huge catalog of IPA's that I've consumed.

I drank the entire bottle before I could even get the damn aroma notes down, so bloody hell. Oh well. All I can say is this, if your able to get this on a regular basis - you're incredibly lucky to have this kind of beer to have on hand 24/7. We must all agree, that Houston has broken out and has finally reached elite status for not only it's brewing knowledge, but just the sheer complexity and precision of our craft beers.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to VegasBeerMan and kspongeworthy for sending me a bottle...

A: Pours a deep honey, with hues or red. I wouldn't call is amber, but it's close. There is a full finger of white head that takes awhile to settle. I get a good amount of lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is huge pine, some mild citrus, and a good malt backbone. The pine hop aroma is the dominant characteristic, but the other scents are distinguishable.

T: The flavors in this beer are really nice. I get a great mix of pine and malt in the forefront. As the sweetness settles, the citrus notes make their appearance. The finish is floral hops mixed with pine. It has a bitter finish, but nothing overwhelming.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer starts out wet, with sweetness and spice. It finishes with more of a floral note. This is an oily brew, and it coats the palate. The hop notes linger for quite a bit.

O: I like this beer, but it's not my favorite. The flavor profiles are really nice, but I really wish it was a bit crisper. I tend to like drier IPAs. That said... I'd love to drink this again, and feel very fortunate to have had two bottles of this beer.

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Thanks to miikezombie for the hookup.

A: Crystal clear golden color with hints of red. Aggressive pour leads to a 2 finger head. Lacing is sticky and thick.

S: Huge hop aroma with big blood orange zest and piney grassy notes. Malt backbone is big and pronounced.

T: Follows the nose but the hops are a touch less prominent.

M: Creamy mouth feel, perfectly carbonated.

O: Easy drinker and at 8.9% that is a bit dangerous!

4.71/5  rDev +13.8%

Pouring to a tan hue with the slightest haze, St. Arnold Endeavor has a fragrant bouquet that combines zesty citrus and other fruits along with some biscuits. The head of foam on this beer is exceptional, and its appearance is certain to pique your interest and encourage that first sip.

Tasting this beer, you quickly realize that the appearance, however impressive, was only a warm-up to the delight that awaits. Yes, this beer is big on hops, but it is better balanced than other double/imperial IPA, with tastes of bread, pine, toffee, and caramel backing up the wonderful flavors from the hop trio that includes Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus varieties. Taste sensations include a touch of grapefruit, orange, peach, and pineapple, with no one flavor dominating.

St. Arnold Endeavor is an exceptional beer in every way and I like it more and more every time I take a sip. It is one of a select group of beers that actually tastes just as good if not better as it warms. I would avoid serving it ice cold because doing so negates the complex flavors within. It is best served around 45 degrees but if allowed to warm slightly, it still tastes very good and some of the complex flavors become even more noticeable.

This beer is sold only in 22 oz. bomber bottles but anyone who has the chance should go out of their way to sample this amazing beer. It is better balanced than other imperial IPA and it isn’t surprising that Endeavor has already won an award at the 2012 world beer cup. I expect more awards in the future and more incredible, memorable moments made even better with St. Arnold Endeavor, the best beer in the St. Arnold lineup.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Bonus bomber bottle sent in a beer trade with Tim from Houston. Thanks, dude...

Very clear light copper body with an excellent thick white head. Lots of active, fine carbonation.

Heady pungent aroma of citrus and pine. Smells sweet and rich..

Sweet, toast-like malt notes in the initial taste, soon followed by an all-encompassing soft bitterness. Biscuit and toffee hints.

A pretty spiffy TX IPA. Seems to hit all the right characteristics across the board. Easy drinking and satisfying...

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to texasclimber for the bottle. Dated 2/27/12 poured into my Duvel tulip.

Pours deep orange with a two finger white head with good retention and lacing.

Smells like a pine forest with hints of tropical fruit. I recently sampled this one fresher and the tropical fruits seem to have faded a bit in the 9 weeks since bottling. A little bit of caramel malt presence as well.

Starts out with some tropical fruit notes, but again maybe a bit more subdued than an ultra fresh bottle. A little bit of a sticky bready malt in the middle before finishing piney and dry. A touch of alcohol is present on the finish.

Medium bodied although a touch on the light side. Solid carbonation.

Pretty good DIPA, but it's lacking a little something that would push it into elite territory. Still definitely worth the cost of admission to try.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

a perfect clear amber with 2 fingers of fluffy white head. copious amounts of lacing. smells of honey, caramel, grass, mellow pine. a very tasy dipa! pine up front followed by sweet grapefruity taste. this is an excellent blend of floral, citrus, bitter hops with a malty backbone. medium bodied, sticky lacing, refreshing double ipa. not boozey at all and sweet enough to make it a fast drinking beer... which can be dangerous! this is a great tasting, smelling, looking ipa. i received this from a trade, not knowing anything about it - i think it was worth it!

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottle from drabmuh. Thanks Matt.

The beer is clear and bright orange with a small white head. Plenty of effervescence present.

The aroma offers some candied citrus fruit, sweet malt.

The flavor imparts grapefruit, alcohol, tart citrus, orange rind. Some good stuff going here, but a bit too sweet. Long lasting bitterness in the finish. Malt presence is formidable. I prefer beers of this ilk to be a showcase for hops, more aromatic and lighter in body.

Not a smooth experience for the palate. The beer is heavy, with abundant sweet malt. Alcohol and a dry, hoppy bitterness are very aggressive on the palate.

Overall, this is ok. Not my thing, but worth a try.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a clear, golden amber in color. Lovely 2 finger offwhite head and alright lacing.

S - Smell is divine! Lots of citrus! The zestyness of orange followed by the boldness of grapefruit. Some breadiness works its way through after the citrus fades.

T - Citrus notes (pineapple/grapefruit) in the front and hop bitterness in the end. It's also a little malty.

M - Medium bodied and just stays with you.

O - It's not a hop bomb but it's very drinkable and oh so tasty. It's not as crisp as I'd like but, I was very surprised by this and will be buying more.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

At the time of this review, this is #26 on the "Top Beers - American Double / Imperial IPA" list on beeradvocate.com. Bottle received in a recent trade, served in a wine glass. Thanks! Unfortunately this was a rather big disappointment to me. Too heavy, too sweet, not enough hops.

Beer is dark amber with a mild haze and a thin off whtie head of small bubbles, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is malt and some columbus-ish hops, it smells like a barleywine.

Huge disappointment here, this is on the far end of the malty big IPA spectrum. Almost tastes like unfermented wort. The finish is moderately bitter and that saves the beer for me but the front of the beer is 100% malt, all malt all the time, big heavy sweet beer. Not what I expect from a great IPA, this is not a repeat for me. Bummer.

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Big thanks to drabmuh for sharing this bottle. Served in a mini tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a thin white head and some lacing on the way down. The nose carries some tropical and citrus hops with quite a bit of malt and sweetness in the background. The flavor has some mango and other tropical fruits, but the added sweetness doesn't help. Body is too full and it's not bitter enough. Can't see a beer with this much residual sweetness being very refreshing in the Texas heat.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. A bright and clear burnt orange color. Head rises almost three fingers and is bright white in color and has the appearance of a fluffy cloud in the sky. Turns a bit rocky as it dissipates and leaves beautiful sticky lace rings.

Smell is pretty fantastic. Dark, ripe citrus smells. A blood orange comes to mind. There is some bread or yeast smells as well but not overpowering.

Taste is a bit more bright than the smell. Mostly citrus flavored hops, pineapple, orange and yellow grapefruit come to mind. There is some malt balance here though, quite sweet. Just a hint of alcohol is here too.

Mouth is crisp and smooth. Carbonation is round to spritzy with a balanced body and an average to long dry finish.

Overall I did enjoy this Alamo State offering. Well balanced for a double IPA but also well hopped. Thanks to injuredreserve for the chance at this. A must buy if you get the chance.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Big thanks to Injuredreserve for throwing this in as an extra.

Appearance: Clear orange. A slight chill haze drops in short order. Head is bright-white, creamy, and chunky. Drops to a couple cm cap after a minute or two. Some vestiges of lacing cling to the glass.

Smell: Citrus, citrus, and more citrus. Orange zest and flesh coupled with a juicy grapefruit note. Malts are big in their own right. Biscuits and caramel sweetness. Doughy malts. Some sweetness lingers around. It's a fusion of orange juice and caramel sugar. Peaches!

Taste: Big malts and a solid hop presence to balance it out. Big chewy biscuit dough. Some bread crust and cooked malt sweetness. Grapefruit rind and orange flesh. Mildly tropical. Something almost like coconut, but I think I'm crazy on that one. Peach candy. Caramel sweetness. Slight touch of alcohol and a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with a livelier than expected carbonation. Smooth and almost creamy at times. A touch of dryness on the back.

Overall: Incredibly easy to drink. Smooth with just enough flavor and depth to keep it interesting. In no way aggressive. Balanced and well worth seeking out.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company