Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A. Amber in color with a decent head, doesn't stick around though. Little to no lacing.
S. citrus, piney woods robust sweetness, this smell is perfect
T. Imediate bitter hop flavor , the malt is subtle and is overwhelmed by hops
M. Not really bubbly, but easy and smooth, as much as can be expected from 70 + IBU's
O. A hop slam dunk, overall great smelling beer with good hops . I wish there was a six pack available though, since 16 oz is a little much for me. I enjoyed this bomber with a friend. It was just right.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The mighty JenRay recently sent me a bottle in support of another site's promotion and I am deeply grateful.

From the bottle: "Saint Arnold 580 ~ 640 A.D."; "brewed with lots of Simcoe, Centennial & Columbus hops"; "Texas Craft Brewed Ale".

I learned that theirs are screw-top caps & so I said "Screw it!" & made it happen. I then gave it an aggro pour out of frustration, creating a massive three fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention that left loads of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the signature cattiness of Simcoe & if I ever own a cat, its name will be "Simcoe"! Actually, there is an alley cat who loves my yard, but it is "Penguin Kitty" due to its white belly under a jet-black body. I digress. Returning to the nose, it was redolent with Simcoe. My hophead mouth was watering uncontrollably. Mouthfeel was unexpectedly dense & thick, dollop-like. Whee! I need this more often. The taste was green and dank, loaded with hops, but not as intensely bitter as I expected it to be. I wonder if they measured the IBUs on this one ... Hmmm. The finish, on the other hand, was quite dry. Not bitter, per se, but with a liquid alum sensation that had me reaching for my asthma inhaler. Man, this is the kind of beer for which I lust & dream!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again.

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

This is exactly what I want in a DIPA or IPA. Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Pours a beautiful amber "IPA" color. The aroma is all the floral/piney hops. The taste is the same and exactly what a hophead wants. An emphasis on the hops, and not so much for the sweet and malty flavors like some DIPAs. Overall, this is one of the best I have tried in this category. I am surprised I found such a good beer in NE Louisiana (they seem to not like good beer here). I will definitely be picking up more of these granted I can still find them.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

I'm a local Houstonian, and I'm a fan of St. Arnold's brews. First time I tried out their Endevour.

A - amber, almost honey color. Minimal head, but could've been as it was poured into a very standard pint glass.

S - pineapple, tropical, very fruity.

T - peach notes that transform to tropical fruits. I taste some passion fruit, a little pineapple. Hops come in towards the end and linger. The hops are not too headstrong. The linger for a while in your palate.

M - body is in the middle. Lovely "oily" like mouthfeel. Not velvety, not light. Smack down the middle.

O - very pleased here. Loved it from the first sip. Wish the hops were just a tad more pronounced. Allow the beer to slightly warm up. I'm definitely going to buy some at Specs to have at home.

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle date of 2/27 poured into snifter

quickly dissipating head. dark red-orange. smells amazing. reminds me of fresh pliny. not sure ive had a beer that smells better than this one. sweet caramel, strong pine.

very bitter up front. serious hops. more bitter than i would expect from an ~80ibu brew. balances out on the back end. fruity. get some melon, peaches. sweet and very pleasant, but dont pick up citrus necessarily. delicious.

sticky nice medium body. perhaps just a touch high on the carbonation. coats and sticks to mouth. very enjoyable.

loved it as DR11 and love it again as endeavour. honestly think it holds its own against the best DIPAs ive had (pliny, PH, abrasive, hopslam)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber - bottled August, 2015. That makes this the freshest Endeavour I've ever found on the shelf/had. Wow - this one is awesome fresh.

A: Dark Amber, maybe copper in color. 1 finger head on an aggressive pour - doesn't hang around for long. Nice foam cling on glass after a sip.

S: Sweet malt. Juicy, tropical hops. Mango. Pineapple. Slightest hint of stone fruit. Smells very good and inviting. Smells like it'll be well balanced.

T: Follows the nose almost dead on. Tropical fruits blend incredibly well with the sweet malt I picked up on the nose. A little bready-er than it smells, but not in a bad way. Pineapple comes through. Finishes with a lingering bitterness.

F: Sits nicely on the palate. Great medium-full bodied DIPA. I would say it has a "soft" feel to it, and it slides down smooth and easy. Really great mouthfeel.

O: Great Texas IPA offering. Grab it. Drink it. Enjoy it. GET IT FRESH as possible. Not that it's a bad beer with a little age...it's just an outstanding beer with hardly any age.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company