Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Reviews: 158 | Ratings: 843
4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The mighty JenRay recently sent me a bottle in support of another site's promotion and I am deeply grateful.

From the bottle: "Saint Arnold 580 ~ 640 A.D."; "brewed with lots of Simcoe, Centennial & Columbus hops"; "Texas Craft Brewed Ale".

I learned that theirs are screw-top caps & so I said "Screw it!" & made it happen. I then gave it an aggro pour out of frustration, creating a massive three fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention that left loads of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the signature cattiness of Simcoe & if I ever own a cat, its name will be "Simcoe"! Actually, there is an alley cat who loves my yard, but it is "Penguin Kitty" due to its white belly under a jet-black body. I digress. Returning to the nose, it was redolent with Simcoe. My hophead mouth was watering uncontrollably. Mouthfeel was unexpectedly dense & thick, dollop-like. Whee! I need this more often. The taste was green and dank, loaded with hops, but not as intensely bitter as I expected it to be. I wonder if they measured the IBUs on this one ... Hmmm. The finish, on the other hand, was quite dry. Not bitter, per se, but with a liquid alum sensation that had me reaching for my asthma inhaler. Man, this is the kind of beer for which I lust & dream!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This is exactly what I want in a DIPA or IPA. Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Pours a beautiful amber "IPA" color. The aroma is all the floral/piney hops. The taste is the same and exactly what a hophead wants. An emphasis on the hops, and not so much for the sweet and malty flavors like some DIPAs. Overall, this is one of the best I have tried in this category. I am surprised I found such a good beer in NE Louisiana (they seem to not like good beer here). I will definitely be picking up more of these granted I can still find them.

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

I'm a local Houstonian, and I'm a fan of St. Arnold's brews. First time I tried out their Endevour.

A - amber, almost honey color. Minimal head, but could've been as it was poured into a very standard pint glass.

S - pineapple, tropical, very fruity.

T - peach notes that transform to tropical fruits. I taste some passion fruit, a little pineapple. Hops come in towards the end and linger. The hops are not too headstrong. The linger for a while in your palate.

M - body is in the middle. Lovely "oily" like mouthfeel. Not velvety, not light. Smack down the middle.

O - very pleased here. Loved it from the first sip. Wish the hops were just a tad more pronounced. Allow the beer to slightly warm up. I'm definitely going to buy some at Specs to have at home.

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

bottle date of 2/27 poured into snifter

quickly dissipating head. dark red-orange. smells amazing. reminds me of fresh pliny. not sure ive had a beer that smells better than this one. sweet caramel, strong pine.

very bitter up front. serious hops. more bitter than i would expect from an ~80ibu brew. balances out on the back end. fruity. get some melon, peaches. sweet and very pleasant, but dont pick up citrus necessarily. delicious.

sticky nice medium body. perhaps just a touch high on the carbonation. coats and sticks to mouth. very enjoyable.

loved it as DR11 and love it again as endeavour. honestly think it holds its own against the best DIPAs ive had (pliny, PH, abrasive, hopslam)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber - bottled August, 2015. That makes this the freshest Endeavour I've ever found on the shelf/had. Wow - this one is awesome fresh.

A: Dark Amber, maybe copper in color. 1 finger head on an aggressive pour - doesn't hang around for long. Nice foam cling on glass after a sip.

S: Sweet malt. Juicy, tropical hops. Mango. Pineapple. Slightest hint of stone fruit. Smells very good and inviting. Smells like it'll be well balanced.

T: Follows the nose almost dead on. Tropical fruits blend incredibly well with the sweet malt I picked up on the nose. A little bready-er than it smells, but not in a bad way. Pineapple comes through. Finishes with a lingering bitterness.

F: Sits nicely on the palate. Great medium-full bodied DIPA. I would say it has a "soft" feel to it, and it slides down smooth and easy. Really great mouthfeel.

O: Great Texas IPA offering. Grab it. Drink it. Enjoy it. GET IT FRESH as possible. Not that it's a bad beer with a little age...it's just an outstanding beer with hardly any age.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Year round re-release of DR11. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip glass to enhance the aroma. Some sort of bottling code on the neck but I couldn't decipher...but I know it's fresh as it was recently released. Was a clear amber color with good carb streams. Had a large foamy head that settled into a thick foam cap (more than in original DR11 review). Good quick sliding lace with a lot sticking (again more than original).

The aroma was solid with grapefruit and other citrus from the start with the pine resin becoming more pronounced as it warmed up. Some malt but this is a hop show. The taste was heavy c-hops with good pine and malt balance to offset. My original review gave aroma and taste 4's but this re-release seems to have been improved and I am now bumping to 4.5s. This is great and went from not in my top tier to now being top tier. Mouthfeel was medium with good carb and a citric aftertaste.

Overall, went from being a good DR11 to a great Endeavour. Near the best for the DR series. Last review noted that something was missing for me but whatever that was they fixed it. Avail here in TX obviously not as full year. Rotation - this will be a huge player in my rotation . [H;Y]

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Saint Arnold Endeavour Double IPA, 22oz bomber bought fresh from my local Spec's Liquor.

Poured overly cold (30°) into a standard drinking glass.

Beautiful bright orange pour emits wonderful piney and grapefruit scents. A heavy dose of malt follows.

Hops dominate the swallow, piney and oily. Citrus and grapefruit are everywhere. Malt balances the sip with heavy bread and biscuit flavors.

Overall this is close to a world class beer. Very drinkable. Almost sessionable except for the 9% abv.

Cheers!!!!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours copper, nice lacing. You can definitely smell something different about these hops. Almost like a Christmas tangerine. The taste is refreshing and not far off from the smell. A nice treat.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a pint and 6 oz bottle dated 9/10/15, about 5 months old. Sharing with my wife, poured into two separate glasses. Copper orange/gold, fairly opaque beer, with a fluffy, bubbly head and tons of tiny bubble lacing.

Smell is absolutely great out of the bottle, the choice of hops meshes very very well and shows lots of promise. Those Simcoe and Galaxy hops man. Sophisticated smell in this case means sophisticated taste. Reminds me of a more balanced, focused Rodeo Clown (by Karbach). Texas beers rule! I love strong IPA's or double IPA's etc.

This beer succeeds in having an almost perfectly complimentary malt/hops balance. There is a dominant maltiness coming out as it warms, but the hops modulate the taste so that it never becomes too sweet of a focus. Many, many beers only have one facet on lock but this one lives up to the hype. A very refreshing brewski, surprisingly light for being so full of alcohol. No single characteristic stood out above the others, just a solid all-around beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into s tulip glass, this arrived at the store yesterday so I assume it'd mostly fresh. This pours a nice mostly clear amber color with a decent creamy off white head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of pine, and caramel. The feel is medium to a little thick. The taste is pretty great, a nice high amount if hops, something I didn't think Saint Arnold ever did. A little caramel and sweetness to balance it off but the hops are the star here.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm not a big DIPA guy, but this is outstanding. Not much for St. Arnold's products either, but damn this is good. I've only seen it in bombers and I will continue buying them. Yum. The hop and malt balance is perfect for my taste. 1 a day will do it with this one.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours a nice amber color.

S: Citrus fruit, fresh hops and pine.

T: Hops is powerful, but at the same time it is a mellow and mature hops that does not overwhelm the other flavors of citrus, malt, and melon/passion fruit.

M/D: Very good balance of carbonation--spot on.

Overall: I remember DR 11 having more dimensions than this one, but this is still nevertheless a very very good DIPA.

If you have access to one, pick it up. It would be impossible to regret.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm going to describe this using what will likely come out oxymoronically. This was an incredibly well balanced Imperial IPA. The thing is it's just a tad less bitter, and the hops used are just that much sweeter than I expected. The result is worthy of at least a snifter, although I purchased a full 32oz. of this, as it was on tap at the location I first tried it. American Doubles are my favorite beer, hands down, so if you don't fall into this description my review is well I'll let you judge its worth. Bottom line if hoppy madness is your thing then you need to try this, not because it's the best, but it is uniquely refreshing.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber poured into tulip
(02/13/13 printed on bottle; drunk 5/25/13)

L: caramel with orange/amber highlights; big head, 1- 1 1/4-inch thick of fluffy full white-off-white foam that laces like a pro.

S: perfect blend of citrusy/piney hops and sweet candy (I can only assume from a big malt presence); the sweet is almost overpowering at times but never crosses the line; mango

T: malty sweet hops; big hop bite up front balanced with nice sweeter notes and some citrus notes; alcohol is nearly 100% hidden

F: good carbonation; a bit lighter weight ... almost watery but OK

O: great beer. the hidden alcohol and the sweetness in the taste that doesn't fully take over make it at least as good as any other DIPA I've had. if it were sweeter, it would lose points -- but it doesn't. a great balance with the hops so you get plenty of those without the brew being just another hop salad.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

first DIPA I've has out of Texas, and it doesn't disappoint. The beer pours a light straw/ golden amber with a white head that doesn't fade too quickly. The beer's nose is juicy citrus hops and the taste is no different. This is exactly what I want in an IPA. Thr mouthfeel isn't too gross and leaves residual bitterness without hitting you over the head with it. Overall this beer is outstanding and well priced.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz brown bomber bottle
Aggressive side poured into a Saint Arnold taster glass.

A: 2 inch off-white head that slowly disappeared. Crystal clear. Slightly red-ish amber in color. Nice sticky lacing with tiny bubbles lasting to the end of the glass.
S: Hops up front followed by citrus notes and finally malt.
T: Hop are bigger up front than as indicated by the nose. Quickly moves to citrus notes including grapefruit, orange and maybe a little lime. Follows with maltiness and finally it reveals the ABV slightly. ABV is very well hidden from the smell and taste. This beer is very well balanced and is the direction I like from an American Double IPA.
M: Very nice. Biting carbonation and hop left with a barely detectable, malty warming alcohol on the back of the tongue.
O: I love this beer. It makes me happy. It is extremely well balanced and makes you want more after each mouthful or sip lingers. I recommend anyone who is a fan of AIPAs to give this one a try. Its expensive but worth the price in my humble opinion.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

Serving type: twist off 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a deep clear orange amber color. Smell is of intense citrus aroma, slight pine, honey scents, along with a great biscuity maltiness. Taste reflects the smell. Initial upfront citrus bitterness leads into a pine and honey flavor mix with ample bitterness throughout the drink with tropical fruit meandering throughout the drink as well. Finishes with a slightly warming mix of alcohol and hops bitterness that lingers after the taste. Feel is thick and slightly viscous, which works with the heavier handed flavors. Overall this is a great beer with good tastes and aromas. It almost had barley wine like characteristics that make this a winner in my book.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally bought this one, (was a bit p;ricey for my blood)

poured from the 22 oz bomber into my new belgium goblet:

A: nice show on the pour, solid tighly bound 2 finger head and really p;retty lacing:
orangeish brew with a bit of cloudiness:

S: oh yeah the HOPS&gt; its been awhile since I treated myself to a IPA oh man it's good pineyness

T: ipa bite of hops

M oily in a good way

D: a bit much to guzzle but do it anyway! hahaha

GOOD STUFF

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up in a trade. Beautiful clear copper-amber pour with a one finger off--white head with good retention and great lacing. The nose is very well balanced and complex with hints of tangerine, pine, peaches, caramel, brown sugar, and tea. The taste follows suit with piney, resiny hops nicely offset by the sweet caramel malt. Hints of tangerine, peaches, orange zest, grapefruit, and perfume. The mouthfeel is oily and chewy with incredible balance and a tangy bittersweet and subtly dry finish. And it definitely improved as it warmed. Overall, this really impressed me. One of the most balanced and drinkable Imperial IPA's I've had in a while. Bold and flavorful and highly recommended!

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The appearance is a orange-amber colour. Floral and citrus tones burst through the nose of this ultra hoppy beer. The first taste gives hints of grapefruit that is mellowed by the Simcoe and Centennial hops. Absolutely delicious.

This is a truly unique Double IPA that deserves to be tried at least once by everyone. In fact, I think I will have another right now!

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to my friend Jeff in Houston for this one!!

Pours a clear orange with a big white head that lingers and laces.

Smells of peach, mango, pine, general citrus, some spice from the Columbus, just overall tropical fruit with a backing of pine. Really big and pleasing nose.

Taste is up front stone fruit and earthy pine that goes into a brighter bitter fruit note, more citric and plum, peach in the middle and ends on a bitter, but balanced, note with lingering grapefruit notes. A brilliant interplay between fruit and pine flavor...just fantastic.

Medium body with medium to lower carbonation works well. Alcohol is present but not overpowering.

Having just had Pliny the Younger, I would say that this is almost like a less refined version of that beer...but it's not a big leap either way. Bottom line: this is the best Texas DIPA I've had and one of the best I've had in general. A brutal fucking victory for Texas beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Burnt orange appearance as poured into a Chimay chalice. Finger-thick, voluminous head.
Smells of pine and grapefruit/ citrus-like. Pleasant and not overwhelming to me.
Nice but small hoppy bite with nice malt balance. Overall very easy to drink, and well-balanced for the near 9% abv.
Mouthfeel for me is nice as far as the carbonation.
Although nothing big stands out one way or the other with this, and I like DIPA's with a more pronounced hop presence, with this St. Arnold brew I really like the hop bite as it warms (as low key as it is). I find it easy to drink as I mentioned, and refreshing. As I'm into my second and final pour, am I picking up more tart and bitterness than before? Endeavor pays off. I will buy this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy blood orange color with. A nice white head that fades to a layering and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of hops in the form of pine, grapefruit, and lots of tropical fruits like apricot and tangerine. I also get some caramel and bready malt aromas.

T: The taste starts with a big burst of pine and bitter grapefruit then moves on to tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, and apricot. The caramel and malty flavors are in the background but they are there.

M: Feel is actually medium bodied and creamy. Not really drying like most DIPAs but it works.

O: I was a bit worried they wouldn't be able to match the awesomeness that was DR11 but this is pretty close. It's also incredibly drinkable for damn near 9%...I can't detect any of the alcohol. This is a great DIPA and I think it would stand up there with some of the bests. I will definitely buy more of these anytime I see them. This one seems to peak around 2 weeks after bottling so check the neck to make sure yours is fresh.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A: The beer pours out a deep gold/light bronze color and generates quite a bit of off-white head if not poured gently. The head consists of small, tightly packed bubbles and can be quite frothy depending on the pour and the glass (I've found that the more flute-styled glasses, which are appropriate for high hopped styles, will generate more foam than the goblet/snifter glasses). The foam laces beautifully as the beer is consumed.

S: The beer doesn't need to be swirled to take in the aroma. As you bring the glass towards your face you will begin to detect the floral/citrusy aroma of hops. The hop character never overwhelms and is full of pleasant and inviting fruity and piney aromas. No sharp alcohol (although the 8.9% ABV), very little malt character (despite the 1.016 Final Gravity), and if any yeast character is present, it is mixed into the hop aroma.

T: The taste of this beer is not at all what you expect from a Double IPA. Many are amazing, but can still be hard to drink due to the extreme bitterness and its effect on one's palate. The bitterness on Endeavor is moderately-high and perfectly supported (for the style of course) by the malt backbone. The hop flavor is crisp while the bitterness and carbonation play a more dominant role in the beginning of the taste. As the beer warms in the mouth and the aromas are sent back into the nasal cavities, an explosion of citrusy and resinous hop flavor occurs, somewhat reminiscent of grapefruit. Just a slight bit earthier in flavor than aroma, but refreshing nonetheless and finishes smooth.

M: The body of the beer is medium, but is hardly perceived as such due to the high hop bitterness. The medium carbonation and slight astringency from hop bitterness lend a slight edge to the beer, along with the alcohol content. This sharpness helps to counterbalance the body and gives the beer a refreshing feel and not too dry of an aftertaste (considering it is 76 IBUs).

o: Overall, this is just as good, if not better than the 2011 release. I believe this one was filtered, while 2011 was not, which did lead to a brilliant clarity. I will say, that there must be a whole lot of dry hopping to achieve that much hop aroma and flavor without being more than 76 IBU. I know many people who would argue that this is simply a very strong IPA, and I can't say I completely disagree. But that's neither here nor there (unless your judging this in a style-based competition). What's important, is that this is a fantastic beer.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company