Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Reviews: 158 | Ratings: 843
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip while streaming the new Mars Volta album, Noctourniquet.

Pours a mottled, rocky inch of taupe head that quickly settles to a thin wisp of bubbles and splotchy lacing. Beneath, the body is aglow with a fiery copper hue. Brilliantly clear and punctuated with a few trails of carbonation. The nose is bursting with ripe tropical fruits: mango, pineapple, starfruit. Bits of piny hops in the background with a succulent booziness. Malts smell a tad thin, but it's a minor knock.

Saint Arnold blasted it out of the stratosphere with Endeavour (pun intended). They dialed back the harsh bitterness and booziness that Divine Reserve 11 had, all the while keeping the hop flavor very much alive and very much delicious. Don't get me wrong, this IIPA will still wreck your palate, but it's a refined aggression that balances superbly with gummy alcohol esters and loads of piny, fruity, resinous hop juice. Mouthfeel is medium in body and the carbonation is tight and zesty on the tongue. I am so incredibly happy to have this beer available year-round in Texas. And for the $6.50-a-bomber price point, I might just make this my go-to IIPA when I need a hop fix. Great job, Saint Arnold!

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Golden red, 1 finger heavy white head

Smell - citrus and grass clippings

Taste - lightly bready with strong grapefruit and pine

Mouthfeel - stickier. Medium carbonation. Works well with the hop intensity.

Overall - Fantastic ride. Would do again. High ABV so wear your big boy pants.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First thing: WOW, this has a big hop smell which belies the hop flavor in the beer; the hop flavor is much subtler than the smell suggests. Another thing to note, there is not an overwhelming alcohol taste that you get with some other DIPA/IIPA.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

a perfect clear amber with 2 fingers of fluffy white head. copious amounts of lacing. smells of honey, caramel, grass, mellow pine. a very tasy dipa! pine up front followed by sweet grapefruity taste. this is an excellent blend of floral, citrus, bitter hops with a malty backbone. medium bodied, sticky lacing, refreshing double ipa. not boozey at all and sweet enough to make it a fast drinking beer... which can be dangerous! this is a great tasting, smelling, looking ipa. i received this from a trade, not knowing anything about it - i think it was worth it!

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

Thankyou Canadianghetto for this!

Poured into my snifter and what a great white head that lingered for a while. Smell of deep citrus and sweet caremel followed by subtle boozines. No touch of booziness is there just a smooth malt build with increasing citrus hops that become more pronounced towards the end. Overall a great DIPA one of my first from the great state of Texas. Did not get to enjoy this beer on the tour was drinking a lot of the weedwacker and lawnmower!

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

Walked into my Round Rock Specs yesterday and was quite pleased to find a freshly delivered batch of this stuff. Picked up 3 bottles with a big smile on my face, remembering how much I enjoyed last year's DR11.

Nice light orange pour into my 512 Brewing Co pint glass...a decent head that does not linger too long, but leaves pretty streaks of white lace.

The scent...damn. Just beautiful. A very dank, earthy pine mixed with mango, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine. Top notch.

Taste follows nose for sure...a bit of a tingly crisp bite as well. This one has a great hybrid of earthy pine and fruity hops...the malt is minimal, but it's still there for some balance.

Easily the best Texas DIPA/IPA I've had, and certainly rivals the likes of Maharaja and Lagunitas Sucks in my opinion.

Very proud of Saint Arnolds for putting out such a kick-ass brew...and at $5.99, a hell of a bargain to boot.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The more of these I drink, the more I like them. Super enjoyable/ drinkable brew at 8.9%. You barely notice the ABV. The hop/ malt balance is excellent, each distinguishable, but in perfect harmony, not opposition.

Not that Saint Arnie is known for being IPA innovators, but as a Texan, I can say this is probably their best IPA offering to date. So good, and a bang-for-buck winner at $6 a bomber.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Very drinkable IPA. Head is solid with good lacing. Pleasant citrus smell and taste. Not too bitter. Good brew I will have again. Only drawback is the price.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a clear, golden amber in color. Lovely 2 finger offwhite head and alright lacing.

S - Smell is divine! Lots of citrus! The zestyness of orange followed by the boldness of grapefruit. Some breadiness works its way through after the citrus fades.

T - Citrus notes (pineapple/grapefruit) in the front and hop bitterness in the end. It's also a little malty.

M - Medium bodied and just stays with you.

O - It's not a hop bomb but it's very drinkable and oh so tasty. It's not as crisp as I'd like but, I was very surprised by this and will be buying more.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Houston, Texas has always been a place of great diversity.
Where a mix of cultures and customs clash, and nearly always something to find entertaining.

Fast forward to this year, we finally solidify our spot as the greatest brewing city in the South. With the magnificent releases of Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA and Karbach Weiss Versa, we now hold two of the greatest beers in the world.

We have been waiting for this moment for a long time, and it couldn't be a more exciting time for our city.

Our focus today, the dangerously hopped to perfection Endeavour.

Sold only in 22oz Bombers, this West Coast focused IPA comes with a twist. Brewed with an enormous amount of hop variety's. Though strongly focused on the "C" strains.

Straight up this is one of the most balanced IPA's I've ever consumed. It goes down with ease, and in a blind tasting I'd say 5%-6% ABV at the most. Damn could I be anymore wrong, sporting it's 8.90% ABV level, but barely scratching a note of hint of alcohol to guide you to this conclusion.

It's predominately focused citrus body covered with notes of papaya, grapefruit, orange, and lemon peel. It's very citric, leading to only just a hint of bitterness and rind. Though lacking the pure hop complexity of beers like Pliney the Elder. This is far beyond in balance and overall drinkability. It's easily one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever consumed and that's saying a lot because of my huge catalog of IPA's that I've consumed.

I drank the entire bottle before I could even get the damn aroma notes down, so bloody hell. Oh well. All I can say is this, if your able to get this on a regular basis - you're incredibly lucky to have this kind of beer to have on hand 24/7. We must all agree, that Houston has broken out and has finally reached elite status for not only it's brewing knowledge, but just the sheer complexity and precision of our craft beers.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to a buddy who brought me back a bottle from his trip out there. Pours a deep amber color with a light, creamy head. The nose starts off with a touch of citrus but then turns decidedly into peaches and some grape fruit. The taste starts off with creamy malt resulting from the pale 2-row and caramel malts and Saint Arnold yeast. The hop bitter starts low then builds to a crescendo, but always maintains a balance even in its big finish. The hop flavor continues to be citrusy and peachy, an interesting manifestation of the Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial hops. Medium mouthfeel. Overall a solid DIPA.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Very excited to try this one, it seems to be gaining traction on the boards. 22oz poured into a DFH Chalice.

A - Great looking beer. Pours a slightly hazy bright orange. Head is pillowy that settles in a nice soapy white layer. Nice legs.

S - Awesome smelling IPA. Very pungent pineapple and citrus that isn't too different than Founders Double Trouble. Maybe a little malt tucked into the back end.

T - Fantastic notes. The pineapple and citrus follow the nose. Very bright flavors and the malt, although taking a back seat, ties it all up nicely.

M - A little less fizz would be nice. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but overall a nice mouthfeel. Could stand to be a tiny bit thicker but I need to remind myself that this is not a double.

O - Wow, this one really takes me by surprise. This reminds me of the first time I had Maine Beer Co.'s IPA's, then 2 months later they started to gain steam on BA. This is totally worth trading for/seeking out. I would buy this repeatedly if it were available to me. Think Double Trouble or Sculpin. Great job Texas!

:Edit: This beer must be consumed fresh. It's one of those IPA's that loses it's boogie with time.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to MisterGrizz who had recommended and sent this to me.

The color is a very attractive orange amber and slightly opaque. The head was huge at just above two fingers and had white foam appearance. There's lots of lacing and carbonation is visually evident.

The smell is very inviting and full of citrus hops. The hops on the nose are supported by malty sweetness.

The taste is a little different from the nose. The sweet malts are at the front, then are replaced by some hoppy bitterness. The bitterness is slightly herby, instead of citrus. The alcohol is nearly impossible to detect. I think the hops hide it well. This brew is fairly balanced

The feel closer to the light side of medium. This makes the brew fairly easy to drink for a DIPA.

I received this bottle about a month after it was bottled, so it's still very fresh. I used to have a poor opinion of Texas brews, but this one opened my eyes. Finally! A beer from Texas that is great. I recommend you get this ASAP.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the most balanced and flavorful DIPA's I've ever had. Second Saint Arnold beer I've had on this trip to Texas. Very impressed. Does not seem like the ABV is as high when you're drinking but after two or three it will sneak up on you.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours a nice golden body with a thick white head that quickly fades to nothing more than a ring around the glass. There is also a lot of lace too.

S: This has a FANTASTIC pepper( the pepper you sprinkle on food, not the kind of pepper you make salsa with)hop smell. There is also a little bit of sweet grain with a tiny bit of bitterness.

T: This seriously tastes a lot like Sculpin too me. The hop bitterness is perfect for the style.. some breweries go a little overboard with the bitterness..anyways, the beer lingers for a long time and has just an amazing amount of sweetness once the bitterness fades.

M: This beer has a very nice body and mouthfeel. The body is very full and has a nice bit of carbonation. As I drink this, the carbonation tingles the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat.

O: This is for sure one of the best beers I have ever had from Saint Arnold's. They have always been hit and miss for me, but this one is a home run. Just an awesome beer and cant wait to get this again.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap at Hay Merchant, and again at the Gingerman.

A: Pours a perfectly clear amber/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of patchy lace is left behind.
S: Mango, peach, pears, lots of tropical fruits. Some honey like sweetness in the finish for balance. Lots in the aroma.
T: Big on the hops. A little one dimensional with tropical fruits and a honey like sweetness in the finish. Though still very enjoyable.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Crisp and ultra smooth. Like silk. Not nearly as resinous as some other DIPA's which I think is great. So smooth and easy to drink. Something I want to come back to again and again.

This is excellent. I am not a hop head by any means, but Saint Arnold hit this out of the park. Every bit as good as the original DR release if not better. Something I would highly recommend and am glad this is a year round offering.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Type: Draft
Glass: 12-oz. plastic cup
From: Hoppy Monk in El Paso, Texas
Price: $6.00
Purchased: Sept. 27, 2013
Consumed: Sept. 27, 2013
Misc.: In a very dark place during Oktoberfest

Poured what appeared to be a dark caramel amber color with two fingers of khaki white head. Tons of even layered lacing on the sides of the cup. Good retention all the way down.

Smelled a potent mix of wonderfully smelling hops. Got floral, citrus, grapefruit, peach and a touch of resin.

Tasted more earthier than the smell, but still fresh. Bitter grapefruit, floral heavy and citrus notes.

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

This was just a fantastic beer. I would love to try it again.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Best thing to come out of Houston since Bobby Brown. Hops make it. Challenger, centennial, oh and did i mention king Simcoe??
Bags of flavour, crisp, citrussy and no metallic aftertaste that is so common in US DIPAs.
Defo tastes best in draft, even better at the brewery, but a bottle is also great.
Only downside - i dont have one right now

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled on tap at BJ's in Round Rock. Golden and very clear with great lacing. Great hop aroma with more pine that citrus. Rich hoppy flavors with a moderate bitterness but an explosion of hop oils and flavors. Must be lots of late addition hops. This is definitely one to try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This is my favorite DIPA. Got introduced to this beauty at the Avenue Pub in New Orleans. Picked up a couple of bottles from Stein's to bring back with me. My review is based on bottles.

It pours a lovely copper color with an inch of beige head that lingers and then fades and leaves a layer on the surface.

It took me a while to place the smell. To me it smells of candied citrus peel with floral backnotes.

Taste is sweet and hoppy with the afforementioned citrus and floral notes. Initial taste is sweet and then bitter as it hits the back of the tongue. Bitterness will linger. Alcohol is present but not overpowering.

Good mouthfeel with sufficient carbonation to even out the body.

Overall this is a wonderfully balanced DIPA and a great effort from the guys in Houston. Hope I get to try this at the brewery in the near future.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Gorgeous amberish gold with a nice soapy and frothy head atop. Very good lacing.

Smell: A prevalent citrus with slightly grassy and earthy tones, maybe a little peach. A nice malt sweetness also is detectable, along with some clean, fruity esters.

Taste: Classic West-Coast DIPA, big bitterness up front, then piney and citrusy hops. As the beer warmed I felt the peach flavor I described in the aroma becoming more noticeable, as well as some spice notes from the columbus. The malt is very much present, giving a nice roundness to the beer. Clean yeast with low-moderate esters.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice dry finish, but not over the top and the malt helps keep it in check

Overall: The best offering I have gotten yet from Saint Arnold, this really shows a lot of promise for their future releases. The hop character is not as huge as some DIPAs, but it is incredible well balanced and very complex. They also utilized malt not just as a body on which the hops could support themselves, but also as a contributor to the flavor. I think this beer is great, I will always pick up a couple when I am down in Houston.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a dark, rich orange with a finger of eggshell head. Big aroma of grapefruit and caramel.

Moderate carbonation and a full, sticky mouthfeel. Grapefruit, orange, and floral hops up front followed by a big caramel backbone and lots of pine on the slightly boozy finish.

Strong malts, strong hops, good balance. This one came off a little sweet at first but I liked it more and more as I went.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass

Pours a copper color, a half inch of slightly off white head, dissipates to a crown, leaves slight lacing. Looks good.

Smell is different and very good. From a foot away catch a big whiff of peaches. First time I've gotten that smell so distinctly. As the beer was there's a lot of tropical aromas, mangoes, ripe oranges. Some dank smells hang around on the edge.

Taste is a little restricted at first, really recommend letting this one warm up to 45-50 degrees. At that point I start to get a lot of tropical notes. Juicy mango, pineapple, tropical fruit. Finish bitters out and dry at the end.

Mouthfeel is really great. Perfect oily carbonation.

Overall, this is a great IPA. I would have backed off just a teeny bit on the bitterness and dry finish, but at the same time, I can't fault anything to any great extent . If you would haw asked me after my first sip out of the fridge, I would have put it somewhere around a 3.7 or so, but this beer really came alive as it warmed. Really nice brew.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a moderately hazy orange-brown. There is a light tan head with decent retention. Very light spotty lacing.

S: Citrus in general and specifically orange peel are immediately present. Grapefruit is notable as well. Some pine notes and a good dose of sweet caramel malt complement each other and hint at a small touch of alcohol.

T: Bitter and floral pine are the main players here. Fairly well balanced, with caramel and toffee notes from the malt providing a nice sweetness to complement the resinous pine. Orange and citrus are still noticeable but blend in quietly between the pine and malt flavors.

M: Medium bodied and just a little oily. Carbonation is mild-moderate.

O: A well balanced IPA. Pine and citrus notes are powerful but tempered by a solid malt backbone.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a branded St. Arnold Brewing Company stange (I believe they use it for their tasting glass)

Pours a deep copper with orangish hues. Slightly off-white one and half finger head. Great retention, significant amount of sticky lacing. Big, dank, earthy hops, pine sap, with an light undercurrent of citrus rises from the glass. Opens with earthy hops, mixed herbal notes, and pine sap joined midpalate by birch syrup, hints of honey, and slight accents of pineapple. More dank earthiness and spruce-like bitterness with accents of grapefruit rind and a dry finish. At the very heaviest end of medium bodied, slick and silky with moderate carbonation that provides perfect balance. This really is an outstanding DIPA. So many newer DIPA's are "citrus bombs" that trend fruity and are sometimes just a bit too sweet for my tastes. This brew thankfully trends toward the other end of the spectrum.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company