Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

Added by Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Reviews: 160 | Ratings: 849
4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

This is exactly what I want in a DIPA or IPA. Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Pours a beautiful amber "IPA" color. The aroma is all the floral/piney hops. The taste is the same and exactly what a hophead wants. An emphasis on the hops, and not so much for the sweet and malty flavors like some DIPAs. Overall, this is one of the best I have tried in this category. I am surprised I found such a good beer in NE Louisiana (they seem to not like good beer here). I will definitely be picking up more of these granted I can still find them.

4.71/5  rDev +13.8%

Pouring to a tan hue with the slightest haze, St. Arnold Endeavor has a fragrant bouquet that combines zesty citrus and other fruits along with some biscuits. The head of foam on this beer is exceptional, and its appearance is certain to pique your interest and encourage that first sip.

Tasting this beer, you quickly realize that the appearance, however impressive, was only a warm-up to the delight that awaits. Yes, this beer is big on hops, but it is better balanced than other double/imperial IPA, with tastes of bread, pine, toffee, and caramel backing up the wonderful flavors from the hop trio that includes Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus varieties. Taste sensations include a touch of grapefruit, orange, peach, and pineapple, with no one flavor dominating.

St. Arnold Endeavor is an exceptional beer in every way and I like it more and more every time I take a sip. It is one of a select group of beers that actually tastes just as good if not better as it warms. I would avoid serving it ice cold because doing so negates the complex flavors within. It is best served around 45 degrees but if allowed to warm slightly, it still tastes very good and some of the complex flavors become even more noticeable.

This beer is sold only in 22 oz. bomber bottles but anyone who has the chance should go out of their way to sample this amazing beer. It is better balanced than other imperial IPA and it isn’t surprising that Endeavor has already won an award at the 2012 world beer cup. I expect more awards in the future and more incredible, memorable moments made even better with St. Arnold Endeavor, the best beer in the St. Arnold lineup.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into tulip glass, bright orange/copper, with a nice white, foamy head. Good lacing. Smells like simcoe glory, with a nice sweet malt backbone. Surprising hop aroma, considering Saint Arnold's usually reserved hop profiles. Taste is very hop forward, tropical and citrus, with a slight sweetness from the malt highlighting it. Nice and thick body, still refreshing and smooth in any temperature. Altogether a unique and powerful offering from Saint Arnold.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to my friend Jeff in Houston for this one!!

Pours a clear orange with a big white head that lingers and laces.

Smells of peach, mango, pine, general citrus, some spice from the Columbus, just overall tropical fruit with a backing of pine. Really big and pleasing nose.

Taste is up front stone fruit and earthy pine that goes into a brighter bitter fruit note, more citric and plum, peach in the middle and ends on a bitter, but balanced, note with lingering grapefruit notes. A brilliant interplay between fruit and pine flavor...just fantastic.

Medium body with medium to lower carbonation works well. Alcohol is present but not overpowering.

Having just had Pliny the Younger, I would say that this is almost like a less refined version of that beer...but it's not a big leap either way. Bottom line: this is the best Texas DIPA I've had and one of the best I've had in general. A brutal fucking victory for Texas beer.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Huge fluffy head, spiderweb lacing, sort of a dull bronze tint to the beer. Looks good.

S: Heavy on the tropical fruits, dankness, bubblegum, freshly peeled orange skins.

T: A lot of pine which I didn't get on the nose, then a big wallop of grapefruit, earthy tobacco like bitterness. There's some malt sweetness buried, dried fruit like.

M: Bitterness really lingers on the palate, a beer for the hopheads in mind. A tinge of hotness at the end.

O: A really good DIPA from normally underwhelming SA. I'll be buying more.

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 oz growler into an oversized wine glass. Deep copper color with thick sticky head that lingers. Made up of tight tiny bubbles supported by little streams from underneath.

Strong piney hop aroma with citrus notes. Flavor follows the nose. Very smooth and well balanced, not overwhelming with some late bitterness that leaves you wanting another sip rather than being turned off. I've had a lot of IPAs with this hop profile that ruin the follow through.

Creamy mouth feel that is thicker than most IPAs and really suits the beer well. All in all a great under the radar DIPA that I'm proud to have from Texas.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled dated 2-27-12! 2 days old, officially the freshest IPA in a bottle I have ever had. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn Tulip glass. Pours a nearly transparent golden orange color. A little bit of head, about 1 finger. not much lacing as it recedes. Smell- dank citrus hops, tropical sweet aroma of mango and papaya. Smells amazing. Taste- prickly hops explode on the tongue- tight carbonation, followed by a really nice medium bodied flood of sweet mango and hop resin bitter finish. Wow! Watch out world, Houston is on the map with a great Imperial IPA.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a moderately hazy orange-brown. There is a light tan head with decent retention. Very light spotty lacing.

S: Citrus in general and specifically orange peel are immediately present. Grapefruit is notable as well. Some pine notes and a good dose of sweet caramel malt complement each other and hint at a small touch of alcohol.

T: Bitter and floral pine are the main players here. Fairly well balanced, with caramel and toffee notes from the malt providing a nice sweetness to complement the resinous pine. Orange and citrus are still noticeable but blend in quietly between the pine and malt flavors.

M: Medium bodied and just a little oily. Carbonation is mild-moderate.

O: A well balanced IPA. Pine and citrus notes are powerful but tempered by a solid malt backbone.

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a deep Amber. Not much head. Smells like grapefruit, mango, and pine. Tastes initially sweet like pineapple and nice malt. Immediately taken over by hops. Good mouth feel with sticky resinous quality that finishes dry. Good brew.

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottled 2/27/12

A - Pours amber/copper with a modest ivory head. Lacing is pretty light.

S - Lots of citrus and pine with some peaches and a hint of tropical fruit in the background. Some toffee-like malt sweetness comes through as well. A very nice aroma overall.

T - Big, resinous hops are dominant. The citrus and pine sits atop a large malt backbone. A bit one-dimensional, but enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the smell of this beer more than the taste.

M - Medium-bodied with semi-dry hoppy finish. A touch of bitterness carries over into the aftertaste.

O - It's nice to see a decent DIPA made in Texas. That said, it's little more than decent. I want to love this beer, but I guess I've been spoiled by having the opportunity to try beers like Pliny, Sculpin, and Abrasive, beers that Endeavour can't stand up against. It's good, but I think it's been over-hyped by locals.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again.

Just wanted to say, HOOKEM HORNS!

This beer is seriously good!!! The hops are tropical in the true sense, not overwhelming and cloying. The beer finishes dry, especially given the stiff malt backbone. Lacing is epic, clarity fantastic, can't get much better. This rivals MANY west coast IPA's I've had. Truly fantastic. Trade or travel for this; it will be worth it.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally bought this one, (was a bit p;ricey for my blood)

poured from the 22 oz bomber into my new belgium goblet:

A: nice show on the pour, solid tighly bound 2 finger head and really p;retty lacing:
orangeish brew with a bit of cloudiness:

S: oh yeah the HOPS> its been awhile since I treated myself to a IPA oh man it's good pineyness

T: ipa bite of hops

M oily in a good way

D: a bit much to guzzle but do it anyway! hahaha

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Golden/brozen color thats clear, no particulate. A 1 inch white head sits on top with excellent lacing that clings to the glass as the head slowly fades

Nose: Citrus fruits and citric acid hops with some hints of grass, the nose finishes with a clean malt note.

Taste: Citrus hops and pine-like resin. Fresh cut hay and sweet malt. I wish there was a bit more malt here.

Mouth: Flows on the tongue but has an assertive bitterness character with piney resin notes, lightly carbonated giving it just a hint of fizz

Overall: This is supposed to be a remake of the divine reserve 11, but I feel like they cut back on the malt. In any case, this is still a great IPA and I will gladly revisit this again soon

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

I loved DR11. LOVED. Let's see if this hits the same high standard. Purchased a bomber in Austin at the Sunrise Mini Mart. Popping it open and sniffing the cap... yep, I'm gonna love this beer. Does this smell even better than DR11? Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours an amazingly clear orange. Nice off white head that leaves good lacing and sticks around the top of the beer. I'm trying to find faults, but it's hard. Time to stop picking nits and just give in to the 5.

The nose has been impressive from the moment I popped the cap. Pine is my first thought. Then the tropical honey-drenched pineapple comes through. This is just one heck of an inviting smell.

The taste is... a bit less sharp. Pineapple hop through the end with a clean hop bite at the end. Very, very drinkable for a IIPA. It's lacking a bit of depth in the hop flavor and it's not quite what I remember, but it's still damned good.

This beer delivered once again even though my expectation bar was extremely high. St. Arnold having this available year-round instantly improves the Texas beer market by a large amount and give us the flagship big beer that we can all throw that state pride behind.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Gorgeous amberish gold with a nice soapy and frothy head atop. Very good lacing.

Smell: A prevalent citrus with slightly grassy and earthy tones, maybe a little peach. A nice malt sweetness also is detectable, along with some clean, fruity esters.

Taste: Classic West-Coast DIPA, big bitterness up front, then piney and citrusy hops. As the beer warmed I felt the peach flavor I described in the aroma becoming more noticeable, as well as some spice notes from the columbus. The malt is very much present, giving a nice roundness to the beer. Clean yeast with low-moderate esters.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice dry finish, but not over the top and the malt helps keep it in check

Overall: The best offering I have gotten yet from Saint Arnold, this really shows a lot of promise for their future releases. The hop character is not as huge as some DIPAs, but it is incredible well balanced and very complex. They also utilized malt not just as a body on which the hops could support themselves, but also as a contributor to the flavor. I think this beer is great, I will always pick up a couple when I am down in Houston.

4.46/5  rDev +7.7%

Serving type: twist off 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a deep clear orange amber color. Smell is of intense citrus aroma, slight pine, honey scents, along with a great biscuity maltiness. Taste reflects the smell. Initial upfront citrus bitterness leads into a pine and honey flavor mix with ample bitterness throughout the drink with tropical fruit meandering throughout the drink as well. Finishes with a slightly warming mix of alcohol and hops bitterness that lingers after the taste. Feel is thick and slightly viscous, which works with the heavier handed flavors. Overall this is a great beer with good tastes and aromas. It almost had barley wine like characteristics that make this a winner in my book.

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

Had it out of a tulip glass. Deep gold coloring. Sticky, oily head. Hallmark double IPA stuff. Smells citrusy, not too much alcohol on the nose. Tastes like grapefruit, packed with American hops. Bitter, but not unbalanced considering other beers I've had in this style. Taste that coats the tongue. I'm giving this a high rating because it's a very nice beer, but it isn't exactly anything new. First double IPA I've had from St. Arnold (I think), and considering the less than memorable Elisa I think this is a definite improvement.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to MisterGrizz who had recommended and sent this to me.

The color is a very attractive orange amber and slightly opaque. The head was huge at just above two fingers and had white foam appearance. There's lots of lacing and carbonation is visually evident.

The smell is very inviting and full of citrus hops. The hops on the nose are supported by malty sweetness.

The taste is a little different from the nose. The sweet malts are at the front, then are replaced by some hoppy bitterness. The bitterness is slightly herby, instead of citrus. The alcohol is nearly impossible to detect. I think the hops hide it well. This brew is fairly balanced

The feel closer to the light side of medium. This makes the brew fairly easy to drink for a DIPA.

I received this bottle about a month after it was bottled, so it's still very fresh. I used to have a poor opinion of Texas brews, but this one opened my eyes. Finally! A beer from Texas that is great. I recommend you get this ASAP.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden-brown, with a big bubbly light-light tan head of foam on top. Lots of bubbles in the body, but not too much complexity in the body.

S: Sweet malts. Caramel. Hops. Sweet Pine. Sweet Citrus. Spices. Very sweet smelling brew with spices. A good-smelling IPA.

T: Sweet malty caramel taste with a sharp bitter finish. A little one note. There's some complexity while the beer sits on the tongue, but disappears rather quickly.

M: Medium to heavy body (got heavier as beer warmed) with really good carbonation. Nice much chewiness, and what's there really showcases the booziness. Little bit of an oily feel here. The feel is mostly hit or miss.

O: This IPA is just above average. To the appearance to the taste to the feel. It's mostly a one note brew. Not terrible or anything, but I can get better IPAs at my local grocery store. *Note -- this beer was bottled in April, so freshness might be the issue here. Tough to say.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

This is my favorite DIPA. Got introduced to this beauty at the Avenue Pub in New Orleans. Picked up a couple of bottles from Stein's to bring back with me. My review is based on bottles.

It pours a lovely copper color with an inch of beige head that lingers and then fades and leaves a layer on the surface.

It took me a while to place the smell. To me it smells of candied citrus peel with floral backnotes.

Taste is sweet and hoppy with the afforementioned citrus and floral notes. Initial taste is sweet and then bitter as it hits the back of the tongue. Bitterness will linger. Alcohol is present but not overpowering.

Good mouthfeel with sufficient carbonation to even out the body.

Overall this is a wonderfully balanced DIPA and a great effort from the guys in Houston. Hope I get to try this at the brewery in the near future.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the most balanced and flavorful DIPA's I've ever had. Second Saint Arnold beer I've had on this trip to Texas. Very impressed. Does not seem like the ABV is as high when you're drinking but after two or three it will sneak up on you.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

Thankyou Canadianghetto for this!

Poured into my snifter and what a great white head that lingered for a while. Smell of deep citrus and sweet caremel followed by subtle boozines. No touch of booziness is there just a smooth malt build with increasing citrus hops that become more pronounced towards the end. Overall a great DIPA one of my first from the great state of Texas. Did not get to enjoy this beer on the tour was drinking a lot of the weedwacker and lawnmower!

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a pint and 6 oz bottle dated 9/10/15, about 5 months old. Sharing with my wife, poured into two separate glasses. Copper orange/gold, fairly opaque beer, with a fluffy, bubbly head and tons of tiny bubble lacing.

Smell is absolutely great out of the bottle, the choice of hops meshes very very well and shows lots of promise. Those Simcoe and Galaxy hops man. Sophisticated smell in this case means sophisticated taste. Reminds me of a more balanced, focused Rodeo Clown (by Karbach). Texas beers rule! I love strong IPA's or double IPA's etc.

This beer succeeds in having an almost perfectly complimentary malt/hops balance. There is a dominant maltiness coming out as it warms, but the hops modulate the taste so that it never becomes too sweet of a focus. Many, many beers only have one facet on lock but this one lives up to the hype. A very refreshing brewski, surprisingly light for being so full of alcohol. No single characteristic stood out above the others, just a solid all-around beer.

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A. Amber in color with a decent head, doesn't stick around though. Little to no lacing.
S. citrus, piney woods robust sweetness, this smell is perfect
T. Imediate bitter hop flavor , the malt is subtle and is overwhelmed by hops
M. Not really bubbly, but easy and smooth, as much as can be expected from 70 + IBU's
O. A hop slam dunk, overall great smelling beer with good hops . I wish there was a six pack available though, since 16 oz is a little much for me. I enjoyed this bomber with a friend. It was just right.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company