Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Liked:
3.75/5
Alströms:

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

SA says to age it. Does this explain its present mediocrity? Will it improve exponentially over time? I kinda don't care, since the bottle I had last night was rather ordinary and bland. I expect great things from the SADR releases, and they've previously demonstrated that their excellence is not a fluke. But this beer is not on that track of excellence. Pale in color for an Old Ale, uniformly 1-dimensionsal in taste and nose (think small malt with a hint of adjunct lager). One positive was that the beer tasted better as it warmed up, and the "cheap beer" overtones were muted.

It wasn't like I had to choke it down; it's not that bad. But dayum SA, this shoulda been a fantastic offering at this price point and level of expectation. Here's hoping #13 is back on track.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

Served in a Freetail 2012 shaker pint glass.

Thanks to twiggamortis420 for this bottle!

The underside of the cap instructs me to "Get a Head". As if that wasn't the goal of every man at all times anyway... So, yeah, this stuff pours a clear bronze-amber topped by a half-finger at best of sad little off-khaki suds. The nose comprises buttery biscuit, light melon, light grapefruit peel, and a few drops of dried maple syrup. The taste holds notes of maple syrup, caramel, honeydew, orange peel, light toasted bread, and a strong surge of straight-up booze. This last bit ruins things, as it washes over and o'ercolors all else, leaving only a bludgeon of alcohol to have its way with my tongue. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a generally smooth feel. Overall, I felt this old ale overdid it a bit with its alcohol presence, with little else going on in the background. Not my cup o' tea, right here.

2.85/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for hooking me up with a six pack of this.

A: I know there has been some problems with sludge/gunk in some bottles. This poured a perfectly clear reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms and recedes in a second. No lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: Up front there is a slight woodyness in the aroma. Some dried tobacco leaves. Then caramelized malt and plenty of sweetness.
T: Again, up front is wood and tobacco leaves. Caramel malt and very sweet. Plenty of alcohol as well.
T: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. The alcohol is heavy, mixed with the sweetness, and this is hard to drink. I might not finish the bottle.

Without a doubt this is the worst DR that has been released fresh in my opinion. I don't know if it will get better with age, but I will have no problem holding on to the rest of my bottles to see. As is not something I care to come back to. Which is a shame because I am usually a big fan of t he DR's, and the style..

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to fatbeats18 for this one

A: rust color in appearance, creates about ½ fingers worth of head that is pure white with mild lacing.

S: I get a musty wood aroma, nutmeg, some berries, a slight touch of toffee and a tinge of vanilla. I also pick up on some orange peel. Very weird mixture of aromas.

T: several different characters are present but all are subtle. I pick up on some toffee, oak, spices, very very mild dark fruits, alcohol and vanilla. I also pick up on a slight bitter hop note that pulls away the nice sweetening flavors in this brew.

M: medium bodied (fitting for the style). It doesn’t leave much of a feel or taste on the lips or palate in terms of flavor. But I do find the alcohol to sit around a bit too long.

O: nothing really stands out in this brew other than its weird complexity. There seems to be many aspects to this brew, but the components simply do not come out the way they should (even to the point where I doubt age will really help it out any, but I could be completely wrong). It’s a decent brew at best, and I’m thankful to have tried it since I do not have access to it.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

July 31, 2012.

Pours a hazy deep carrot orange with a quarter-finger of head that settles into a ring around the edge of the glass.

At first, DR12 features bready maltiness, orange blossom honey, caramelized orange, and simple syrup. A lightly spicy booziness emerges as it warms. A little green, I think, with a faint vegetal note.

Taste is simpler. Caramelized orange, warming heat, old dried fruit, and some miscellaneous flat bitterness on the finish. The bready note on the nose is gone, replaced by a generic malty-sweetness cut short by the bitter, warming finish. Flatter (i.e., one-note/less interesting) as it warms.

I know others will disagree, but this strikes me as a middling old ale, something I'd liken to a poor man's Old Stock Ale. Not bad, but probably not worth the Divine Reserve label. I think this will slightly improve as it ages.

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

A good beer, but not worth the ado that--like me--you probably went through to find it. At 10% alcohol, it has a nice wallop to keep you awake during your mid-morning "nip" at work. Also if--like me--you never eat on an empty stomach, it makes for a nice breakfast before you chase it down with food. It is however (alas) much like drinking a Belgian beer without the sweetness; as such, there was no "finish." Don't drive 40 miles round-trip on your lunch hour to find this. If you want a more wonkish review with descriptions of how its body is "infused with hints of pepper-bark grated from a Peruvian nutmeg tree whose delicate nuts were first lovingly crushed with an ivory mallet," then move along, because I speak plain English: the color was dark-reddish-brown; it will wake you up proper when you open your eyes to the harsh and unfriendly light of another blasted day, and the bottle is purple.

3.07/5  rDev -18.1%

I opened a 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - This pours a hazy orangeish amber, not much head to speak of on the pour.

S - On the nose I get some light spice, small amount of hops, caramel malt.

T - On the palate I get the same as what I was smelling. The spices are very subtle, you almost have to be looking for them. The hops aren't overly noticeable, but the caramel malt gives way to toffee and caramel flavors. Sweet on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied and it seemed to be noticeably carbonated

O - This is interesting, it is only my second time trying a Divine Reserve from St. Arnold. I think that this beer tastes extremely young and age will do it wonders. I have another five bottles from a six pack that I purchased and plan on letting them sit for quite a while before opening another one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

3.21/5  rDev -14.4%

Big thanks to raffy313 for blindly dropping a pair of these on my porch to attempt to prove to me how not awful this beer is despite the iffy ratings for a barleywine. :)

12oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

Appearance: Color is a deep orange, thinnish off-white head that goes about a finger deep on an aggressive pour. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Boozy, bread, caramel malt, and a bit of earthy/grassy odor.

Taste: Alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol. There is a nice body here with caramel, and even a decent little bitter pine-y hop punch, but really this beer is all about the booze at the moment.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for the style, but still medium. Carb level is nice.

Drinkability: Average. ABV is on the high side, and the beer is hot, but it goes down fairly easy, all things considered.

Overall: I'm glad I have another bottle of this, because it really needs some time to knock the edge off. I do actually think this beer will be better in a year or two, as what lies underneath is not bad. It's just not ready yet.

3.24/5  rDev -13.6%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

massive thanks goes out to chf64...brad is the man. sent me a few bottles of this just because i mentioned in passing that it interested me. that's advocacy. enjoyed from my SH snifter.

a - brew poured a semi-transparent ruby mahogany orange. a thin skin of white bubbly head was gone almost as soon as a set my glass down post pour leaving a small ring around the surface of the beer and a cluster of bubbles in the corner. lacing was spotty and slippery and didn't cling to the glass much at all.

s - some zesty autumn spices and sweetness. hints of bubblegum and almost belgian yeast. caramel vanilla. very malt forward. cereal...corn pops to be specific. not very old ale like, but not bad.

t - again, cereal...corn pops to be specific. some vanilla and caramel. fairly unique, but at the same time fairly mediocre.

m - medium bodied...you can feel the heat in the mouth. tingles nicely. medium to light bodied.

o - overall, not a bad beer...this is not the best old ale in the world, but for just being a beer. this isn't bad at all. slightly festive. seems like a fall beer despite the cap saying "Happy Holidays" but Halloween is a holiday.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company