Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Added by Verecund on 08-01-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 204
2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

SA says to age it. Does this explain its present mediocrity? Will it improve exponentially over time? I kinda don't care, since the bottle I had last night was rather ordinary and bland. I expect great things from the SADR releases, and they've previously demonstrated that their excellence is not a fluke. But this beer is not on that track of excellence. Pale in color for an Old Ale, uniformly 1-dimensionsal in taste and nose (think small malt with a hint of adjunct lager). One positive was that the beer tasted better as it warmed up, and the "cheap beer" overtones were muted.

It wasn't like I had to choke it down; it's not that bad. But dayum SA, this shoulda been a fantastic offering at this price point and level of expectation. Here's hoping #13 is back on track.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Served in a Freetail 2012 shaker pint glass.

Thanks to twiggamortis420 for this bottle!

The underside of the cap instructs me to "Get a Head". As if that wasn't the goal of every man at all times anyway... So, yeah, this stuff pours a clear bronze-amber topped by a half-finger at best of sad little off-khaki suds. The nose comprises buttery biscuit, light melon, light grapefruit peel, and a few drops of dried maple syrup. The taste holds notes of maple syrup, caramel, honeydew, orange peel, light toasted bread, and a strong surge of straight-up booze. This last bit ruins things, as it washes over and o'ercolors all else, leaving only a bludgeon of alcohol to have its way with my tongue. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a generally smooth feel. Overall, I felt this old ale overdid it a bit with its alcohol presence, with little else going on in the background. Not my cup o' tea, right here.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for hooking me up with a six pack of this.

A: I know there has been some problems with sludge/gunk in some bottles. This poured a perfectly clear reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms and recedes in a second. No lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: Up front there is a slight woodyness in the aroma. Some dried tobacco leaves. Then caramelized malt and plenty of sweetness.
T: Again, up front is wood and tobacco leaves. Caramel malt and very sweet. Plenty of alcohol as well.
T: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. The alcohol is heavy, mixed with the sweetness, and this is hard to drink. I might not finish the bottle.

Without a doubt this is the worst DR that has been released fresh in my opinion. I don't know if it will get better with age, but I will have no problem holding on to the rest of my bottles to see. As is not something I care to come back to. Which is a shame because I am usually a big fan of t he DR's, and the style..

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks to fatbeats18 for this one

A: rust color in appearance, creates about ½ fingers worth of head that is pure white with mild lacing.

S: I get a musty wood aroma, nutmeg, some berries, a slight touch of toffee and a tinge of vanilla. I also pick up on some orange peel. Very weird mixture of aromas.

T: several different characters are present but all are subtle. I pick up on some toffee, oak, spices, very very mild dark fruits, alcohol and vanilla. I also pick up on a slight bitter hop note that pulls away the nice sweetening flavors in this brew.

M: medium bodied (fitting for the style). It doesn’t leave much of a feel or taste on the lips or palate in terms of flavor. But I do find the alcohol to sit around a bit too long.

O: nothing really stands out in this brew other than its weird complexity. There seems to be many aspects to this brew, but the components simply do not come out the way they should (even to the point where I doubt age will really help it out any, but I could be completely wrong). It’s a decent brew at best, and I’m thankful to have tried it since I do not have access to it.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

July 31, 2012.

Pours a hazy deep carrot orange with a quarter-finger of head that settles into a ring around the edge of the glass.

At first, DR12 features bready maltiness, orange blossom honey, caramelized orange, and simple syrup. A lightly spicy booziness emerges as it warms. A little green, I think, with a faint vegetal note.

Taste is simpler. Caramelized orange, warming heat, old dried fruit, and some miscellaneous flat bitterness on the finish. The bready note on the nose is gone, replaced by a generic malty-sweetness cut short by the bitter, warming finish. Flatter (i.e., one-note/less interesting) as it warms.

I know others will disagree, but this strikes me as a middling old ale, something I'd liken to a poor man's Old Stock Ale. Not bad, but probably not worth the Divine Reserve label. I think this will slightly improve as it ages.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

A good beer, but not worth the ado that--like me--you probably went through to find it. At 10% alcohol, it has a nice wallop to keep you awake during your mid-morning "nip" at work. Also if--like me--you never eat on an empty stomach, it makes for a nice breakfast before you chase it down with food. It is however (alas) much like drinking a Belgian beer without the sweetness; as such, there was no "finish." Don't drive 40 miles round-trip on your lunch hour to find this. If you want a more wonkish review with descriptions of how its body is "infused with hints of pepper-bark grated from a Peruvian nutmeg tree whose delicate nuts were first lovingly crushed with an ivory mallet," then move along, because I speak plain English: the color was dark-reddish-brown; it will wake you up proper when you open your eyes to the harsh and unfriendly light of another blasted day, and the bottle is purple.

3.07/5  rDev -15.7%

I opened a 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - This pours a hazy orangeish amber, not much head to speak of on the pour.

S - On the nose I get some light spice, small amount of hops, caramel malt.

T - On the palate I get the same as what I was smelling. The spices are very subtle, you almost have to be looking for them. The hops aren't overly noticeable, but the caramel malt gives way to toffee and caramel flavors. Sweet on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied and it seemed to be noticeably carbonated

O - This is interesting, it is only my second time trying a Divine Reserve from St. Arnold. I think that this beer tastes extremely young and age will do it wonders. I have another five bottles from a six pack that I purchased and plan on letting them sit for quite a while before opening another one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks to raffy313 for blindly dropping a pair of these on my porch to attempt to prove to me how not awful this beer is despite the iffy ratings for a barleywine. :)

12oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

Appearance: Color is a deep orange, thinnish off-white head that goes about a finger deep on an aggressive pour. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Boozy, bread, caramel malt, and a bit of earthy/grassy odor.

Taste: Alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol. There is a nice body here with caramel, and even a decent little bitter pine-y hop punch, but really this beer is all about the booze at the moment.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for the style, but still medium. Carb level is nice.

Drinkability: Average. ABV is on the high side, and the beer is hot, but it goes down fairly easy, all things considered.

Overall: I'm glad I have another bottle of this, because it really needs some time to knock the edge off. I do actually think this beer will be better in a year or two, as what lies underneath is not bad. It's just not ready yet.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

massive thanks goes out to chf64...brad is the man. sent me a few bottles of this just because i mentioned in passing that it interested me. that's advocacy. enjoyed from my SH snifter.

a - brew poured a semi-transparent ruby mahogany orange. a thin skin of white bubbly head was gone almost as soon as a set my glass down post pour leaving a small ring around the surface of the beer and a cluster of bubbles in the corner. lacing was spotty and slippery and didn't cling to the glass much at all.

s - some zesty autumn spices and sweetness. hints of bubblegum and almost belgian yeast. caramel vanilla. very malt forward. cereal...corn pops to be specific. not very old ale like, but not bad.

t - again, cereal...corn pops to be specific. some vanilla and caramel. fairly unique, but at the same time fairly mediocre.

m - medium bodied...you can feel the heat in the mouth. tingles nicely. medium to light bodied.

o - overall, not a bad beer...this is not the best old ale in the world, but for just being a beer. this isn't bad at all. slightly festive. seems like a fall beer despite the cap saying "Happy Holidays" but Halloween is a holiday.

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Wispy surface.

Smell - Slightly fruity. A lot of caramel. A little estery. Clovey and some banana.

Taste - More fruit. Drier caramel. Earthy hops in the back. Musty finish.

Mouthfeel - Dry with just a hint of bitterness. No booze and medium low carbonation.

Overall - Decent just not very interesting.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I, like many other Texas BA's, spent the time to track down and purchase the latest DR release from St. Arnolds. I stashed away all I purchased with the intent of aging for at least one year per SA's advice, and forwarded that advice to my trading partners to whom I had sent some bottles. I was not interested in trying any 'fresh' until receiving one in a local trade, which I had stashed away in the fridge. Well, tonight I decided to open one up and see what the (non)fuss was all about.
The beer poured a copper-amber color with about a 1/4 inch off white head, which lasted a bit longer than expected. The aroma was one of sweet malts, I swear a touch of bubblegum, some breadiness and a slight metallic note.
The taste followed the nose, which was a slightly sweet, malty, bready taste with a touch of dried fruit. Mouthfeel was perfect...medium body and spot on carbonation.
Overall, this was very acceptable. It is not BAD. It is drinkable at this stage. Although not an expert by any means, I can see where this beer develops over time into a very nice ale. But if you can't wait, it is enjoyable at its young age.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a clear amber with a white head that fades to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and sweet malt. The nose is actually pretty nice on this one.

T: The taste is a bit weaker than what the nose lead on. There are faint notes of caramel, vanilla, and sweet malt but they are no where near as pronounced as I thought they would be.

M: The feel is medium bodied with a decent creaminess.

O: This isn't exactly the best Old Ale I've had but it's not too bad. Hopefully given some time this will develop into something better. I'll be visiting this again in a year or so.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle poured (without decanting) into a stemmed pilsener (beer tulip) glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, dark amber with a small, foamy tan head. Some lacing and plenty of suspended sediment.

Smell: Sweet cereal, caramel.

Taste: Malty, caramel and a bit boozy. Lightly peppery and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and relatively mild carbonation.

Overall: A drinkable, warming ale, but not specifically compelling.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Casked DR12 tapping at Hay Merchant

A: Not perfectly clear, a bit murky. Copper in color with a creamy off white head. Slightly different character than when i had it from the keg.

S: Fresh, lemon grass, hoppy, fruity. A touch of pickled ginger.

T: Taste follows the smell. Hops are present. Citrus, crisp, and refreshing. Undoubtedly smoother in flavor out of the cask. Reminds me of Endeavor a bit. Mild bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth as silk from the cask. Markedly different than the keg offering.

O: A good beer. The ratings are weak but i still came out for the cask tapping because its a decent brew. Reminds me of an IPA overall.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, fruit, and slight smoke aromas. Taste is much the same with fruit and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earthy bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice caramel and fruit aspect going on.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Little head. Color is a clear golden color.

Very sweet and malty. Not a big taste profile. Just kind of boozy and malty. Caramel and some bready flavors. Maybe some citrus blended in.

Full bodied and hot. Ends sticky.

Overall, not really my type of old ale. It's kind of like a golden old ale. Odd.

August 2015, this beer has rounded out a lot and isn't very hot. A malt bomb. Cereal grains. Aged well. Original score was 2.98

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle pulled from the cellar after 3 years of aging and drank blindly from the bottle while sitting in my treestand hunting (because that information is vital since its the only rating I can give for appearance.)

This smells fruity with caramel, dates and raison-like appeal. A mild amount of papery oxidation and kick of solvent alcohol towards the back.

This tastes sweet and fruity like raisons covered in papery oxidation with fruity alcohol esters and almost plum-like with bready grain and a hint of herbal bitterness.

This is medium in body with light carbonation. Pretty decent boozy sipper thats showing its age more than it should for only 3ish years.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got this beer from my dear beerbuddy Robert (Torino). Thanks Robert. Poured this one in my De Molen tasting glass. Nice golden yellow fluid. Got some heavy pouring to do to get some head. Very light carbonation, little lacing.

Floral smell far away with some anice hints. Good mouthfeel. A decent drinkable beer but not too spectacular. The alcohol is pretty well hidden.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer pours an amber color with a white head and a lot of bubbles. The aroma has some cherry and grape notes, as well as some caramel, toffee and alcohol notes. The flavor is very similar. The caramel and dark fruit notes are very heavy up front, with a little bit of toffee and some earth notes hidden in the background. I also get a little bit of cinnamon and some other peppery notes in the flavor. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a tulip glass a golden amber with barely any head. I had to agitate it a little to get a head and bring out a scent. I can't get much of a scent off of it, but my nose is weak. I sence some sweetness. The taste is rather weak for the style, some sweet carmel and that's about it. There's a very slight licorice after taste. The mouthfeel is low in carbonation, medium bodied, and high in alcohol.

Yeah, this is not Divine by any definition of the word.

I'd rather wish SA would stop using the winning home brew recipies for every other DR, because they're NEVER as good as what Brock can come up with on his own.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Got this as an extra in a trade and have been cellaring for quite some time now. It has a sweet caramel flavor throughout and as it warms I'm getting some smoky flavors as well. Aging has definitely rounded out the edges here but it has a pecuilar peppery finish that I'm not the biggest fan of. Still, it's a quality beer and my first old ale to date.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1533rd Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
12oz

2012 Release
Thanks to Lnashsig for this

App- A vibrant glowing orange with a big clear density in the glass. A small 1/2" of off white head that fell quickly. More bubbles around the edges.

Smell- This is a prickly smelling beer. Its very boozy with a big citrus and grass note. A full hop note with a big bitter aroma to back it up.

Taste- Well I had much higher hopes for this one. Its a good malt base with a thick citrus and boozy addition as the backing flavors. It feels like an old ale but very bitter and prickly with a dish soap flavor.

Mouth- A big thick medium body with a prickly medium carbonation. Its a bit too bitter and citrusy and needs to mellow out.

Drink- I believe this is a good beer. Its just too fresh right now and needs to mature as a beer. Prickly and boozy but the flavors need time. Malty and citrusy like an old ale but just lacking right now.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

I'm not really sure what all is going on with this beer. There seems to be a lot. Very different from anything I"ve had before.

I picked up a six pack and a bomber. This was my first bottle to open. I think I'm going to age the rest for the next year and see where it goes.

There were a lot of different flavors going on and I had some trouble differentiating... I don't claim to be an expert.

Overall I liked this beer, but I want to see where it goes.

Love Saint Arnold as a brewery.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

(Served in a teku)
A- This beer pours a hazy dark orange body with a thick ring of bubbly beige and a very faint pfsst hint is all that was heard when I twisted the cap off.

S- The woody caramel aroma has a slight sweet wort note to it with a sweet ester sugar note in the finish. The aroma is very light but also quite mysterious.

T- The slightly dry caramel turns to a sweet candy hint. There is some wet wood oxidation taste and some slight tartness in the finish. A light citrus juice note comes through in the aftertaste. There is an alcohol taste that grows and cuts the sweetness quite a bit as it opens up.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full alcohol warmth and a fizz in the finish that gives a fullness texture without being fizzy.

O- This has some characteristics of a miabock and hints of a light barleywine with a soft sweetness and a full alcohol. The flavor and aroma were both pretty soft and I just couldn’t get behind this beer. There were moments it was tasty and then it was more odd characters like the oxidation or the tartness or citrus that outweighed the tasty. Thanks to Thickfreakness for sending to me it was fun to try.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear amber color capped by a nice head that leaves a curtain of lace

Smell: Caramel, figs, raisins along with hints of candied orange and vanilla

Taste: Caramel and dark fruit, up front, with a developing herbal, candied orange aspect; after the swallow, the sweetness becomes a bit cloying, though there is some offset from the herbal flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This beer has some interesting elements bu the full package clashes rather than complements

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast