Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Added by Verecund on 08-01-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 204
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I, like many other Texas BA's, spent the time to track down and purchase the latest DR release from St. Arnolds. I stashed away all I purchased with the intent of aging for at least one year per SA's advice, and forwarded that advice to my trading partners to whom I had sent some bottles. I was not interested in trying any 'fresh' until receiving one in a local trade, which I had stashed away in the fridge. Well, tonight I decided to open one up and see what the (non)fuss was all about.
The beer poured a copper-amber color with about a 1/4 inch off white head, which lasted a bit longer than expected. The aroma was one of sweet malts, I swear a touch of bubblegum, some breadiness and a slight metallic note.
The taste followed the nose, which was a slightly sweet, malty, bready taste with a touch of dried fruit. Mouthfeel was perfect...medium body and spot on carbonation.
Overall, this was very acceptable. It is not BAD. It is drinkable at this stage. Although not an expert by any means, I can see where this beer develops over time into a very nice ale. But if you can't wait, it is enjoyable at its young age.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks to fatbeats18 for this one

A: rust color in appearance, creates about ½ fingers worth of head that is pure white with mild lacing.

S: I get a musty wood aroma, nutmeg, some berries, a slight touch of toffee and a tinge of vanilla. I also pick up on some orange peel. Very weird mixture of aromas.

T: several different characters are present but all are subtle. I pick up on some toffee, oak, spices, very very mild dark fruits, alcohol and vanilla. I also pick up on a slight bitter hop note that pulls away the nice sweetening flavors in this brew.

M: medium bodied (fitting for the style). It doesn’t leave much of a feel or taste on the lips or palate in terms of flavor. But I do find the alcohol to sit around a bit too long.

O: nothing really stands out in this brew other than its weird complexity. There seems to be many aspects to this brew, but the components simply do not come out the way they should (even to the point where I doubt age will really help it out any, but I could be completely wrong). It’s a decent brew at best, and I’m thankful to have tried it since I do not have access to it.

4.15/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a goblet. The beer pours a darker shade of slightly hazy amber with numerous streaming bubbles in the beer. There is a briefly lived thin off-white head. A pour of the entire contents leaves the beer slightly hazy. The beer smells very sweet from the abundant malt. There's a smell that reminds me of bubblegum. There's plenty of malt in this taste, bringing sweet qualities to this beer. There is that bubblegum I picked up in the smell and some bittering and earthy hops in the back end. This blends into a mildly sweet and earthy aftertaste, though it becomes more bready as it warms and the aftertaste lingers longer. I can also pick up the alcohol, but which also becomes more noticeable as it warms. The flavors are actually quite complex and well balanced. The yeast characteristics start to poke through more as the beer warms and more bready flavors appear. The body is medium with plentiful carbonation. The finish is slightly dry. For such a young old ale, this is very solid. It can only improve with age, so I'm glad I invested in a six pack.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for hooking me up with a six pack of this.

A: I know there has been some problems with sludge/gunk in some bottles. This poured a perfectly clear reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms and recedes in a second. No lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: Up front there is a slight woodyness in the aroma. Some dried tobacco leaves. Then caramelized malt and plenty of sweetness.
T: Again, up front is wood and tobacco leaves. Caramel malt and very sweet. Plenty of alcohol as well.
T: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. The alcohol is heavy, mixed with the sweetness, and this is hard to drink. I might not finish the bottle.

Without a doubt this is the worst DR that has been released fresh in my opinion. I don't know if it will get better with age, but I will have no problem holding on to the rest of my bottles to see. As is not something I care to come back to. Which is a shame because I am usually a big fan of t he DR's, and the style..

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a tulip glass a golden amber with barely any head. I had to agitate it a little to get a head and bring out a scent. I can't get much of a scent off of it, but my nose is weak. I sence some sweetness. The taste is rather weak for the style, some sweet carmel and that's about it. There's a very slight licorice after taste. The mouthfeel is low in carbonation, medium bodied, and high in alcohol.

Yeah, this is not Divine by any definition of the word.

I'd rather wish SA would stop using the winning home brew recipies for every other DR, because they're NEVER as good as what Brock can come up with on his own.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a clear amber with a white head that fades to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and sweet malt. The nose is actually pretty nice on this one.

T: The taste is a bit weaker than what the nose lead on. There are faint notes of caramel, vanilla, and sweet malt but they are no where near as pronounced as I thought they would be.

M: The feel is medium bodied with a decent creaminess.

O: This isn't exactly the best Old Ale I've had but it's not too bad. Hopefully given some time this will develop into something better. I'll be visiting this again in a year or so.

4.55/5  rDev +25%

I've already had a few beers in me and I've already let this beer warm up. So it's a clear orange-ruby color in this wacky light I'm in. It smells of Brett, dried red apple, sherry, my moustach, a lil alky, and lies. The flavor profile is full of exquisite dehydrated fruits, bubble gum, blush wine, a nice subtle hop-bittered finish, and deception. It's a moderately carbonated medium-leaning-on-full bodied brew. I've never had Divine on tap so this is quite the great as me and babe Amanda sipple off it's teet. Now I'm sure Saint Arnold Brewing Co. made a good sum of cash for the sales of this brew. Funny because this wasn't their recipe. They "allowed" a homebrew winner to have their beer made by this brewery for winning a local competition. Funny cuz to me that sounds like making money off of someone else's hard work. But thats just me

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

SA says to age it. Does this explain its present mediocrity? Will it improve exponentially over time? I kinda don't care, since the bottle I had last night was rather ordinary and bland. I expect great things from the SADR releases, and they've previously demonstrated that their excellence is not a fluke. But this beer is not on that track of excellence. Pale in color for an Old Ale, uniformly 1-dimensionsal in taste and nose (think small malt with a hint of adjunct lager). One positive was that the beer tasted better as it warmed up, and the "cheap beer" overtones were muted.

It wasn't like I had to choke it down; it's not that bad. But dayum SA, this shoulda been a fantastic offering at this price point and level of expectation. Here's hoping #13 is back on track.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

A good beer, but not worth the ado that--like me--you probably went through to find it. At 10% alcohol, it has a nice wallop to keep you awake during your mid-morning "nip" at work. Also if--like me--you never eat on an empty stomach, it makes for a nice breakfast before you chase it down with food. It is however (alas) much like drinking a Belgian beer without the sweetness; as such, there was no "finish." Don't drive 40 miles round-trip on your lunch hour to find this. If you want a more wonkish review with descriptions of how its body is "infused with hints of pepper-bark grated from a Peruvian nutmeg tree whose delicate nuts were first lovingly crushed with an ivory mallet," then move along, because I speak plain English: the color was dark-reddish-brown; it will wake you up proper when you open your eyes to the harsh and unfriendly light of another blasted day, and the bottle is purple.

3.07/5  rDev -15.7%

I opened a 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - This pours a hazy orangeish amber, not much head to speak of on the pour.

S - On the nose I get some light spice, small amount of hops, caramel malt.

T - On the palate I get the same as what I was smelling. The spices are very subtle, you almost have to be looking for them. The hops aren't overly noticeable, but the caramel malt gives way to toffee and caramel flavors. Sweet on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied and it seemed to be noticeably carbonated

O - This is interesting, it is only my second time trying a Divine Reserve from St. Arnold. I think that this beer tastes extremely young and age will do it wonders. I have another five bottles from a six pack that I purchased and plan on letting them sit for quite a while before opening another one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer pours an amber color with a white head and a lot of bubbles. The aroma has some cherry and grape notes, as well as some caramel, toffee and alcohol notes. The flavor is very similar. The caramel and dark fruit notes are very heavy up front, with a little bit of toffee and some earth notes hidden in the background. I also get a little bit of cinnamon and some other peppery notes in the flavor. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a deep amber, with a thin white head that doesn't stick around for long. The smell is one part crystal malt and one part mysterious funk, something I haven't noticed in any Saint Arnold brew before. The flavor is much more complex: dark rum with hints of toffee up front followed by dried apricot and alcohol. This definitely has the flavor profile of a autumn/winter seasonal. There's a long funky aftertaste that I don't know if I like. The mouthfeel is rather slick and accompanied by alcohol warmth. Overall, this is pretty good but rough around the edges. I think a year or two of in the "cellar" will turn this into an excellent sipping beer.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

July 31, 2012.

Pours a hazy deep carrot orange with a quarter-finger of head that settles into a ring around the edge of the glass.

At first, DR12 features bready maltiness, orange blossom honey, caramelized orange, and simple syrup. A lightly spicy booziness emerges as it warms. A little green, I think, with a faint vegetal note.

Taste is simpler. Caramelized orange, warming heat, old dried fruit, and some miscellaneous flat bitterness on the finish. The bready note on the nose is gone, replaced by a generic malty-sweetness cut short by the bitter, warming finish. Flatter (i.e., one-note/less interesting) as it warms.

I know others will disagree, but this strikes me as a middling old ale, something I'd liken to a poor man's Old Stock Ale. Not bad, but probably not worth the Divine Reserve label. I think this will slightly improve as it ages.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last