Icon Series: Belgian-Style Pale Ale | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Texas, United States
saintarnold.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Brewer Sam Wright's Description: I was going for an approachable Belgian beer that people could drink more than one of. I wanted to use a simple malt bill with British crystal malts to provide a nice sweetness that doesn't get muddled with the yeast character and the hops. To add an American element, Chinook hops were used for bittering, which adds a piney flavor. Saaz hops were added for aroma that blends well with the yeast. I selected a yeast that adds Belgian yeast character without going overboard with phenols. I wanted to make a beer that used ingredients from disparate brewing traditions that worked well together.

Added by champ103 on 01-09-2013

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty good, yellow-tan with a pretty good head and lace.

Aroma and taste have Belgian yeast character, a little hops, some coriander, maybe some caramel malt. There's a hint of metallic in the nose.

Body is fairly on the thick side of medium, finish is Belgian yeast.

It's tasty, not particularly on the high side for the style tho.

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-hazy dark copper color with an off white head that leaves a lace
S-caramel malt, yeasty, and some spice
T-spice, roasted malt, and a metallic taste. The metallic taste stays with you til the end. Later in the glass the hop flavor comes in.
M-light body and low carbonation
O-my last Saint Arnold's until I go back to Texas. I will pick up some more while I am there. This beer is much better as the it gets warmer, and I will note that and make sure I do that the next glass I have.

3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

12 ounce draft pour into a shaker glass. 6% ABV.
Appearance: Brilliant red mahogany. Absolutely no head (3/5).
Aroma: Very light aromas. I get a touch of brown sugar and a suggestion of cider. Almost like there’s a baked apple on the other side of the room. Very appropriate for the season (3.25/5).
Taste: It’s sweet, but doesn’t get cloying. I get notes of caramel apples and deeply roasted malt (3.25/5).
Mouthfeel: Medium body, light carbonation (3/5).
Overall: I don’t regret consuming this beer, but I’m not sure I would actively seek out another pint of it. It’s sweet, cidery, and roasty like a good Belgian Pale Ale should be. I would have liked to have seen a little more flavor and aroma contribution from the hops, and a little more lively carbonation, but it’s certainly not poorly made. Perfectly average, I guess (3/5).

Icon Series: Belgian-Style Pale Ale from Saint Arnold Brewing Company