Cozy Up Milk Stout

Cozy Up Milk StoutCozy Up Milk Stout
Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was excited to try this guy but after opening, left a bit disappointed. For the most part, it's not milky at all in my opinion. I was expecting much more of a slimy mouth feel by the title. It fell short. Smell wasn't bad but I just couldn't pick up on the cocoa nibs it's brewed with. Tasted a bit better than your regular stout. Not really sweet either. Bit bitter with some dark chocolate but other than that, this guy fell short for me. I won't be buying it again.

3.04/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

No date but label tells me it's the 2016 edition. Not the previous "Big 'ol" version which was at 10%. This claims 7% on the label.

Pours dark with a ridiculous amount of head, even with a careful pour. I'm talking out of control with nothing I could do, like 95% foam and 5% beer in a tulip out of the fridge, about 40 degrees. This stuff goes to bubbles when it hits air and I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle. No beer should foam like this even if I had dropped it beforehand (which I didn't). Foam is light tan and dissipates after about 5 minutes (jesus, the last inch in the bottle goes down the drain as foam). The head goes down and eventually disappears pretty much completely. When I finally have a glass of beer, the smell is lactose/sweet, with a bit of coffee roast. Slight raisin.

Taste is as expected, with licorice, some slight chocolate, lactose sweetness at the edges but this is not as creamy as I would expect a milk stout to be. Malt profile is underwhelming, slight grain taste, mouthful is fine, and it feels a bit boozy which for 7% is a little surprising. Most stouts hide their booze well -- not this one.

Drinkable but unremarkable, and damn, the head/ foam on this thing was ridonkulous. Possibly a bad bottle, although others here on BA have mentioned similar experiences.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz bottle, no date, 2016 version. Pours with a gigantic, overflowing tan head which lasts a bit before forming into hazy brown liquid. Smells of sweet lactose, roasted malt, and cocoa; low intensity. The taste follows with mostly roasted malt and dark fruit with some cocoa, nuts, and salt; also low intensity. Below average body. Overall, this was a bad bottle for sure; the carbonation, smell, and taste was way off. I'll have to revisit this one again.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First off, it was like breaking into Fort Knox getting through the thick wax seal on my pop-top 750ml bottle. I had let the bottle cellar a few months--seemed like it wanted it. The thick waxing and intended cellaring said something about pride in product I had to respect.

L - dark brown color just shy of totally opaque, the head that was fizzy rather than creamy, and that dissipated quickly and disappeared--disappointed me a bit for a milk stout.
S - good smell. not overpowering, but very roasty and inviting
T - taste was fortunately the highlight for me--roasty and dark chocolate, sweet with milk sugar. A bit syrupy. I didn't pick up much coffee. Not as creamy as I expected but spoke to solid roasted grains--I had this after a milk stout homebrew that I'd liked, and this was far superior in flavor sophistication, though not that different in other respects.
F - again, just seems it could've been creamier for a milk stout, but it was smooth and not unpleasant at all.
O - quite good, but short of excellent for me. The milk stout competition was fierce this year with the ascendance of a widely distributed bottle of nitro Left Hand Milk Stout--to me, that beer set a high standard for creamy mouthfeel and look.

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown color with a whole 3-4 fingers of khaki head that reduces very slowly. I've never had a milk stout that's been bottle conditioned prior to this one, so I don't have anything in style to directly compare to.
S: Aroma comes across with a smooth roasty blend, and a lot of sweetness which attribute to lactose. There is a faint metallic presence, but it's so minimal I wouldn't say it detracts from the aroma.
T: The taste directly mirrors the aroma. A sweet smooth roast, compliments of coffee and chocolate. That metallic flavor is just barely there, and again it doesn't detract from the flavor.
M: After seeing the amount of head, I expected an over carbed bomb - I am pleasantly surprised at the relatively low carb level. Very smooth and silky. Leaves no dryness in the after taste.
O: Cozy Up is a very enjoyable milk stout. I decided to crack this around the first snow of the season, and it fits the mood quite well.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

760 ml bottle from the brewery. Start with a nice soft, sweet aroma of roast grain and chocolate milk. Pours black with small creamy beige head, head could be thicker. Taste is chocolate, coffee, burnt toast. Velvety mouth feel, nice lingering roasty finish.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Corked & caged 750ml split into Deschutes tulips...

A: Dark brown bordering on opaque, tan head fizzled away leaving decent lacing.

S: Subdued roastiness, Hershey's milk chocolate syrup, suggestions of vanilla.

T: More of that sweet chocolate syrup, not artificial tasting, just very pronounced and unique. Roasted malt provides a light backbone, with the residual/milk sugars providing the most prominent flavors.

MF: Medium, creamy body.

O: Pretty decent, a dessert beer and a pleasant drinker. Milk sugars and chocolate character are both well executed.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up at the brewery over the weekend... I think I paid $10ish for the C+C 750... I have seen it around town for at least $2 more. Go to the source to save $$$!

Cork would not come out.... used a wine key.

Poured tonight into my HotD goblet... sorta silky looking pour.. 1/2" dark tan small bubble head... decent retention.. pretty good lacing.

Nose shows almost exactly what I would hope for with a Big-Boned Milk Stout.. Light/med roastiness with a more pronounced chocolate element that is accentuated by the residual sweetness.. Smells like a bunch like a liquid Tootsie Roll (not an insult)...

Flavor hits on all the right cylinders.. sorta sweet and balanced by the roasted malt.. A smattering of dark fruit esters show with warmth.. A bit of alcohol right at the finish.

Body and carbonation seem right for 7-8%

Overall, I think this is well done.... Hops are there, but the malty bitterness does most of the balance.

3.75/3.75/3.75/4/3.75