ESB Amber Ale | Flying Fish Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
ESB Amber AleESB Amber Ale

Flying Fish Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
flyingfish.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-20-2001

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a very clear dark copper with a nice white head. The lace clung to the side of the glass very nicely. Even with such a nice head, the aroma was very minimal. No hops and a slight bit of malt. The first couple sips was dominated by the malts. There was a hint of caramel. After several sips the hop bitterness came forward but never overpowered the malt. The mouthfeel was fairly light. This is a good session beer. The last third of the beer I drank and ate cheese puffs. The combination was terrific. This would make a good ballgame watching beverage!!!

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Good carbonation so it pours with a good head that fades leaving some lace. Cloudy coppery color/ The brewer's description of a malty start and hoppy finish is correct. The six malts they use is clearly noticeable which is nice for an ESB. Smoother than I would expect in a ESB but the bitterness is there.

a nice malty AAA (American Amber Ale). This beer poured a dark amber colour and it had a nice, white head. The aromas were of malts, hops, and fruits. The taste was very hoppy, fruity and malty. This was a very well balanced beer with a nice, full mouthfeel and an excellent drinkability.

Cheers!
-F

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

Sat down at Andy's Corner to have a couple of pints after work and decided to have a Climax ESB and Flying Fish ESB. Started with the Climax and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then hit the beach for some Fish. The beer didn't captivate me with either it's appearance or aroma. The mouthfeel was mothing special either. At first, I was very disappointed with the taste, it lacked the fundamentals that make an ESB and ESB and that make a good ESB into a great one. After a bit, the taste did seem to grow on me but it still didn't come close to the Climax. .
The Fish was an average beer that I could certainly drink a few of with no problem. Problem is, I can think of other ESB's that I would drink before the fish.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Copper body topped by a fluffy, foamy off-white head. roma is bread and caramel. Taste is caramel malt with just enough hop bite that it has depth and is not overly sweet. Smallish aftertaste. Mouthfeel could be Fullers, er, excuse me, that's fuller. Very easy drinking. A nice little beer, and certainly more enjoyable than their Extra Pale Ale, but suffers a bit when compared to the two bottles of Fuller's ESB I had this week.

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Orange amber in color with a fluffy white head. Lovely malt aroma was mixed with something musty, like the barely was somehow malted and toasted in a moldy basement. It tasted just as nice. Rich, toasted malt flavor dominates but allows a little room at the end for some fruitiness, green hops, and a very slight astringency.
Very light carbonation gave this beer a fairly silky mouthfeel. Simple but tasty brew from Flying Fish.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Slightly hazy amber with a lightly frothy off-white head that drops fairly quickly to a standard collar. It does, however, leave some thin and spotty lace throughout the glass. The aroma is mainly of yeasty fruitiness and a sweet and toasty malt with some very mild grassy hops in the background. The body is medium with an exceptionally fine and gentle carbonation that leaves it quite creamy in the mouth. Very nice! All of the Fish beers seem to have a similar maltiness and this is one of them, if not the finest example. It's fairly rich, lightly sweet, grainy, caramelish, and softly toasty - almost wort-like with some mild diacetyl thrown in. It's clearly balanced towards maltiness although some mild grassy/spicy hop character appears towards the finish. The bitterness is obviously toned down to allow the maltiness to take center stage. It finishes semi-dry with a short lingering sweet maltiness that's backed up by some light hop flavor and residual bitterness. Although it's not what I expect of an "ESB", it is a nicely malty ale that's quite unique and fairly enjoyable in its own way. Worth trying.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

This was quite a suprise. The ESB style does not really pull through but the beer is quite nice. This beer has quite a fruity nose and there is little to no bitterness to this beer. I would say this is a good representation of an amber ale but has some subtle nuttiness and yeastiness in the mix. This is a unique beer disguised as an ESB.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Light copper color with a medium sized white head. Well balanced, but muted hops and malt. I'm not sure I'd call it an ESB. Most notable characteristic is a slightly sweet and carmel-like taste.

2.06/5  rDev -41.3%

bitter bitter bitter. this did not go well with me. it was a struggle to take down. a bit hoppy with a flavor that almost made me gag. extra special...not at all

4.23/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I didn't think that I would like this ESB but it really surprised me. Nice color with a big head that clung all the way down. Smooth taste with balanced hops.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Well this beer certainly has the goods and is well-made, but there's nothing about it that grabs me and makes me say "That's great beer!" maybe it's me, but I seem to recall the 3 or 4 beers made by FF as having the same lacklustre effect on me. Maybe I gotta have it on tap.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Rich mostly hoppy nose. Good head and retention. Little off-white sheen over the brew. Light amber in color. Malty but not bitter enough for my taste. Decent mouth.... This was an average bitter.

2.16/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice Orange-bronze color.

Has a spicy sort of prickly nose, citrus like.

The first taste I noticed was orange-like (I think, hard to describe). Nice medium mouthfeel, solid malty sweet foundation with a citrus hop (but not overly so) balance. Has a perfumed quality to it. It has a unique, strange taste that I have seen described as earth or vegetal, and I think I agree with that. That taste is a negative in this beer, it lost a few points because of that. Once I really tuned into that wierd taste, it is all I can taste now. I feel it is a loose interpetation of an ESB (my benchmark is Fuller's) and definitely has an American Micro brew stamp on it. A ok choice.

Nice lace on the side of the glass.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Presentation: 12 oz brown longneck bottle with the Flying Fish logo on the label, no freshness date.

Appearance: Deep slightly dark orange amber, nice clarity with patches of sticky lace trail down the glass from a well produced white head.

Smell: Clean aroma of fresh milled toasted grain, a little hay that has been in the sun for too long. Hints of caramel and leafy hop in the nose also but still clean.

Taste: Stable medium body, crispness lends a nice palatable texture, clean and refreshing. Big fresh burst of toasted malt and side of caramel. A little bit of juicy fruit from the fruitiness. Wood and earth flavours come from the hop flavour which also places a modest but cutting bitterness on the tongue. Finishes dry and full of toasted grain.

Notes: Decent American Brewed ESB, why not call it an American Amber Ale because that is what it is. Either way it is an easy drinking ale that is worth a try.

2.6/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Very little head that dissappeared in a hurry after a vigorous pour from the 12oz. bottle. Light copper color. Light doughy aroma with cooked vegetable smell. More veggies in the flavor. Light on the malt, not much backbone. Adequately hopped though. Probably the lightest ESB I've ever had. This one comes up short of my expectations of an ESB. More of a light session pale.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

The body has a nice copper color w/ an amber head. The aroma has a rich malty start and features hints of caramel notes that develop into a smooth bitter hop finish. The bitterness is not overwhelming though. I thought it had a slightly dry finish. I’m new to ESB Ale all together, but my overall opinion is, that there is nothing really special about this ESB.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last