Farmhouse Summer Ale | Flying Fish Brewing Company

New Jersey, United States
flyingfish.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Availability: Summer

A tribute to the highly drinkable "every day" beers from French-speaking Belgium. Contains Belgian two-row pale malt and 7% wheat. This beer is lightly filtered with an earthy, spicy hop character from imported Styrian Goldings hops and a beautiful rich creamy head from the wheat.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-20-2001

4.76/5  rDev +37.6%

4.72/5  rDev +36.4%

From a newly tapped cask at the Grey Lodge.

This beer poured a cloudy pale yellow and had a thin white head.
Had a pleasant grassy hop aroma. This was much creamier, smoother and had more body than the regular draft version. Very flavorful. An excellent summer sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

Appearance: bright and golden
Smell: Slightly sweet and lemony
Taste: Citrus flavor up front, smooth and sweet on the back end
Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy but light
Overall: Fantastic summer beer, similar to Sam' sSummer but better
Serving type: bottle and on tap

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I got it on tap a bit late for the season, but I thought it to be a good, crisp, tasty brew. I'd definitely get it again. It's very smooth going down.

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%

Pours a nice golden copper with a nice retaining head. Smell is floral, hoppy and grainy. Drinks crisply and smoothly, not quite with a snap, but almost. Hints of coriander, lemon and orange abound, but neither are in the spotlight. Low in alchohol means that this is a quality summertime picnic beer that you'll empty quite quickly.

4.34/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is from notes I compiled last summer. I poured this into a generic pintglass. Appearance is golden colour with good lacing and good head retention. Smell and taste is a good amount of citrus, grains, spices, malts, hops, and bread. Mouthfeel is refreshingly light to medium bodied, and this is a very drinkable brew for those who like citrus and need a fine lawnmower beer.

4.32/5  rDev +24.9%

I found this beer to be one of the easiest-drinking beers I've ever had. Now, my review is flawed because I don't believe I have any other Saison/Farmhouse Ales to compare it to - this is my first. But from the description of the style, I expected something a bit more complex in flavor, and this was not complex at all. Low ABV combined with a mellow flavor equals very easy drinkability. For an every day Summer beer, I'd choose this hands down over the BMC beers; unfortunately this runs $32 a case, so it could be come an expensive habit. I may have to just fit it in here and there over the summer.

4.32/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was a great summer beer, I enjoyed it.

4.27/5  rDev +23.4%

A light, yellowish colored ale that a pour develops a slight head. Not one of the better looking beers, but it is extremely drinkable as light citrus and wheat flavors are well balanced. Little to no aftertaste. More than one can be quaffed without getting bored. This ale has become one of my summertime staples in the refridgerator based on taste and reasonable price.

4.26/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(With the amount of floaties in this brew, I might have a bad bottle but it is a farmhouse. I looked back and no one mentioned the floaties. No best by date, but I got it from a place that opened this summer so it cant be totally old. I'm only saying this because its a ton, not a little. Anyway, moving on.)

Look: Three finger bleach white head that died pretty fast, Copper (about an 8 SRM), ok lacing, lots of carb, tons of "floaties".

Smell: Big malty, pleasant grassy, nice earthy, mild fruity (strawberry/orange type), light floral, slight woods, yeasty.

Taste: Very nice yeasty, nice malt, good fruitiness, earthy/grassy/woody/good funk. good carb, nice body, crisp and clean, semi-dry.

Final Thoughts: Even with the lacking appearance, I would buy this beer anytime. It's perfectly summer to me. It's a sit on the back porch and sip in the summer evening, taking in the smell of sun baked grass and fresh air. Great beer.

Farmhouse Summer Ale from Flying Fish Brewing Company