Grand Cru Winter Reserve | Flying Fish Brewing Company

3.64/5
Alströms:

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

1.63/5  rDev -55.2%

Not sure if I got a bad batch of this, but this was a very disappointing offering from Flying Fish. Look of the beer is very clear - very amber - with almost no head. Not a good sign. Smell is off - like it is a bit past it's drink by date (it wasn't). Taste was terrible - definitely not what I expected from a belgian style pale. I seriously would rather drink Miller Lite than this. I bought a sixer of this, and was so disenchanted with it that I drain-poured the last 2 - just to get rid of it so I didn't have to dread the moment when I opened it and had that first dreadful taste.
I love Flying Fish - I'm from South NJ - but do yourself a favor - steer clear of this one. Flying Fish - please - get rid of this, or figure out how to brew a Belgian Strong Pale.
I definitely won't be coming near this one ever again.

1.64/5  rDev -54.9%

A: Pale honey in color. Clear. Minimal head with no lacing
S: Sweet up front with a nasty skunky aroma. Sour smell covers the later improved fruity aromas that come through as this one warmed a bit.
T: Slightly bitter with a nice yeasty taste. Somewhat low malty flavors. Lingering bitter aftertaste.
M: Good levels of CO2 and alcohol. Nice medium body.
D&N: I hope I got a bad bottle, cause this beer was awful. As it stands, I wouldn't recommend this at all. A thoroughly yuk beer that was a chore to try and finish.

2.02/5  rDev -44.5%

12 oz. bottle that was poured into a Flying Fish standard pint glass. What came out of the bottle was a clear and pale yellow colored beer that had a small and thin head of white foam. This thin head of foam quickly dissipated into some small white bubbly rings and a spot or two of lace. The beer had a light aroma of malted wheat, a small touch of cherry, apples, yeast, and a few lightly crispy floral hops toward the end. The taste for this beer was far too light and contained lightly dry and crispy floral hops, sour apples, and a small pinch of yeast at the end. As you can tell, there wasn't much of anything to the taste. It really didn't have anything going for it. The mouthfeel was really light and had a very faint aftertaste of crispy floral hops. There was not that much flavor in the mouthfeel either. There's no way I would touch this Flying Fish brew again. Back to the drawing board with this one.

2.05/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Taste like bad lemon Taste

2.05/5  rDev -43.7%

What the heck is this stuff? I saw te word Grand Cru on the tap handle and I get something pale yellow? Maybe I've lost touch with reality here but I always thought that a style of beer like that has some form of complexity, and some blood sweat and tears put into it. The guy hands me my sample and I just gave him a look back like "WTF is this?!". It actually had me a little upset, I know flying fish is capable of making good brews (check out their Exit Series). I was just stunned by the lack of everything not put into this brew. I couldn't say much about this if I tried. The beer was yellow and light bodied... Seriously, a winter grand cru? Impossible.

2.09/5  rDev -42.6%

my first flying fish....
pours a bland gold with no head.
the aroma has got me prejudiced- i dont like it. tinny, rusty, not like a belgian ale at all in my book. one more sniff... cant define it. a fishery, maybe??
taste...? yeah, the candied sugar is there. yeah, the 'belgian' undertones are there... but i dont think i like it.
my bottle is purple and doesnt look anything like the one on the BA site. also the label says 6.9% but BA says 7.2%
i found the website; the brew is just very new. not on BA yet. i still dont like it. it could be great, but there is just a nasty little smell/taste that is giving me much hesitation. i'm trying to be fair with each drink/taste. and the weird thing is, it is a FISHY taste/smell. i dont know what more to say. i have 2/3 down and i'm going to toss the rest. i dont know how to rate this one. i get the distinct style and taste of a brewer and i appreciate that, but i dont like this at all. can i give it a 2 for the abv??? and for what i percieve to be a nice attempt? i like the write up on the website. i get the description. there is just a funky little taste (spice?) that ruins it for me. and maybe this review belongs in a new format as i interpret it to be a 'new' brew rather than the one pictured. but look how much i described in fairness to the brew- i tried to be fair. somebody send me a line if you disagree, please...

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

2.26/5  rDev -37.9%

In my opinion this beer sucks. It has a similar flavor profile to a Heineken, but sweeter and not as balanced. Not a pleasant drink. I'd choose a Budweiser or Coors over this any day. Not on par with quality micro brews.

Appearance: Not bad. Light color, but slightly cloudy. Good head. No lacing.

Smell: Has a sourdough bread aspect to it that is pleasant. But an unpleasant, off aroma predominates. That unpleasant, off aroma pretty much represents what this beer will taste like.

Taste: Sweet. Too sweet. Tastes like sugar or some other sweet adjunct has been added at some point in the brewing process. I cannot taste hops. A weird malty / burnt grain flavor is present, but it just doesn't work with the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The best thing about this beer. Balanced level of carbonation. Not too thick or watery... really just right, except for the taste.

Drinkability: I don't like drinking this beer. I bought 2 cases of this stuff because it was on sale and the lady at the liquor store told me it was a really good beer. I am not looking forward to having to finish those 2 cases.

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Picked up at Total Wine in Alexandria. Poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Color is a light golden with a single-finger head that recedes very quickly without really leaving any lacing behind. Not nearly what I would expect from a Belgian Strong Pale. The nose brings quite a bit of yeast and fruity character with some pear, apricot, and a bit of melon. Some light floral notes as well. It's a bit plain, as I had to work fairly hard to pick out many of the characteristics of this beer.

The flavor brings forward a lot of yeast character with some spicy zest and a bit of pear, lemon, and melon. The yeast is definitely the dominant character here. The body is a bit thin and watery and not what I would expect from the style. Not a terrible effort, but when judging by the style, this just really does not stack up.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

It pours a nice golden color, but with very little head, and what head there was faded quickly. I would have liked to see more head, with better retention.

The aroma is faintly fruity, with hints of clove and other spices. The right smells are there, but they're faint.

It tastes watered down. I can tell that there's a strong belgian ale in there somewhere, but it's far too faint. There's nothing Grand to this beer, and the spices that Winter Reserve calls to mind are barely present. It really tastes like someone took a good belgian ale and mixed it 1:2 or 1:1 with water. Very disappointing.

It's very easy to drink, as the alcohol is completely masked. Unfortunately, the flavour is also masked, and thus there's no desire to finish your glass, let alone reach for another.

Overall, I had high expectations for this beer, since I liked their Dubbel, and this came recommended, but I was completely let down. It tasted bland for what it should have been. After a second bottle to confirm that it wasn't a fluke, the rest were reserved for cooking.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a bright orange color with a thin off white head on my snifter glass. Smell is grass, hops, fruit. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the best in the style category. The taste is just not right for this style to me. Yeast, alcohol are added to the nose profile.. but, it's WAY too sweet. Not a fan of the taste. The feel is thin, syrupy, with a little bit of an undercarbonated vibe. Overall, this is fairly mediocre. Probably won't look for this again. Cheers.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a clear golden color with very little head, which dissipates quickly. A lot of carbonation present. Smells mainly of cloves. Light in taste. The cloves are very faint on the palate. To be fair, it was a light mouthfeel for a semi-high ABV. Overall, nothing too offensive but also not too rememberable.

Grand Cru Winter Reserve from Flying Fish Brewing Company