OktoberFish | Flying Fish Brewing Company

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by GeoffFromSJ on 09-13-2002

4.82/5  rDev +36.5%

A very nice smell of bready caramel sweetness with some fruitiness from the hops and a slight soapy sudsy smell. Very smooth and rich sweet caramel with a slight fruity hop bite. Absolutely delicious malts in this one. Bread tastes evolve with the yeast and then the hop fruitiness comes back at the end for a slight bitterness to balance out the rich sweet malts.

I really like this one just as much as Samuel Adams Octoberfest. It has that same delicious Octoberfest taste. It has a great creamy texture to it and is a full bodied octoberfest. Also some candy sweet toffee evolves from the malts. Pretty complex malts on this one. Right up there with the best in my opinion and should be mentioned a lot more often around this time of year. Underrated beer.

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with a strong head that lasts quite a while and leaves good lacing

Smell: Mild toffee aromatics

Taste: Starts with a biscuity flavor followed by modest earthy hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: On style, with a nice malt profile and delicate hopping

Yet another good beer produced in my home state of NJ by the Flying Fish Brewing Co.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%

4.34/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

This is actually an Altbier, I can confirm that as I took the brewery tour.

I got this with a microbrew pack in the Manahawkin, New Jersey Spirits Unlimited. This beer pours a brown colour with half-finger white head with some lacing. The smell is fruity with a hint of caramel/toffee, a subtle citrus/apple taste with a hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and its a very drinkable smooth beer, especially with fall seasonal food.

4.27/5  rDev +21%

It pours a medium brown-amber with a medium-sized, foamy, off-white head that doesn’t stick around too long. Malts are dominant in the nose, of course, with aromas of caramel, butterscotch, nuts and hints of fruit. It has a very nice malty flavor with a light lemony bitterness to back it up. Pear and white wine notes in there as well. The finish is dry with a lingering light sweetness late. It has a medium body and moderate carbonation. I really enjoyed this one, one of the more impressive Oktoberfest seasonals I’ve had this year. Enough character and body to keep me interested, but still highly sessionable. I’d buy it again if I could get it in this area.

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smell: Mild toffee aromatics

Taste: Starts with a biscuity flavor followed by modest earthy hops; nice spicy elements provide a contrast to the malt after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: On style, with a nice malt profile (not overbearing as some can be) and delicate hopping

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%

Something oddly cute about this bottle. Maybe I'm just a little loopy after reading Foucault for the past 4 hours. I dunno. Little weird fishbone airplane thing made me giggle like it was a kitten.

Pours is sorta meh for a marzen. Darkish foggy amber, small white head that dies away quickly.

Smells a lot better than meh, I'll tell you what. Big east coast malt smell. (What the hell is that? That super mellow, sweet earthiness that I only come across in session-strength beers from back east? Geary's and Magic Hat and Brooklyn all have it. It's the malt, right? Or is the water just different? It's a malty smell, nonetheless. I think it's the malt. I make an ass out of you and me thinking it's the malt, but I still think it's the malt). That's blended with lightly zippy, very chocolately and caramely bock yeast and a light, spicy hops. Very nice.

Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells. Full malt profile, like ten different kinds of bread at once. Light hints of milk chocolate, butterless biscuits, that damn, delicious east coast mystery flavor, and then some lightly spicy hops finishing it off. Nice and complex with a lingering bitterness.

4.2/5  rDev +19%

4.2/5  rDev +19%

A clear and deep dark amber-red body, alive with fine streams of carbonation. A couple fingers of level just-off-white foam. Looks very inviting. Decent circular lacing.

Nose has a few loaves of fresh bread and a hint of herbal hoppiness. Good depth.

Very good malty start. Sweet yes, but not cloying. Some dark chocolate notes, and the wonderful sense of depth that I seek in an Octoberfest. Enough of a hop bite to balance, and leave a bit of a spicy, tingly reminder of earthy goodiness as the beer slowly fades away.

Mouthfeel is dead on, nice and middle of the road. Suitable for all varieties of autumnal weather.

Easy drinking, good drinking.

A very pleasant surprise, and easily my favorite Flying Fish brew. Good stuff regardless of ale or lager. Don't geek, drink.

4.17/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Dominion Octoberfest.

A: Slightly hazy amber wit two-finger, white, creamy head that diminished in a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Sweet caramel malt. Spicy hops.

T: Light sweetness and light bitterness. Very nice grain flavor. Oats maybe. Not sure, but I like it.

M: Medium bodied and smooth with fizzy carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

O: Solid Oktoberfest. Not the greatest looking, but a pleasure to drink. I liked this better than the Dominion.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Was very impressed last year after tasting a number of Octoberfest beers, and with FF offering, so I picked up a sixtel.
Appears slight cloudy haze, nice head
Smells mildly sweet, slightly spicey wintergreen/biscuit.
Tastes like it smells but with more malty biscuit that lingers long on the palate without prominent hop presence.
I had tasted Sam Adams Octoberfest on tap recently which I thought was very,very good and had a hard time deciding between these two.
I think the Sam's is more intense, but this was a few bucks less and I still think it's a damn fine Octoberfest.

4.13/5  rDev +17%

Strangely, while this one is brewed in state about 45 minutes away, it is quite difficult to find in my area each year, although other Flying Fish brews are readily available just about everywhere. Weird.

Anyway, it pours a surprisingly nice crisp amber colour with a creamy off-white head that leaves a nice amout of residue on the glass.

The smell is primarily malty with some hop oils seeped through into the aroma. There is a pinch of fruitiness thrown into the mix as well.

The flavour is more of the same, although theres a bit more of a juicy hope kick in the taste as well as some sweet caramel notes. There's a nice bit of alcohol warmth as well throughout this one. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and just right for the style.

Overall, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I found it to be a nice sessional brew and a nice take on the style. This is one of my favourites from the folks at Flying Fish.

4.13/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

O-fests are meant to be session beers. Beers to be drunk on a lazy afternoon with friends and music. This beer lives up to those standards perfectly. Very tasty, very drinkable, hearty but not too heavy.

Slightly hoppier than what I've come to consider the type German marzen style, but for me that is a good thing.

Another amazing seasonal from the Fish folks.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a deep copper-ish color, with a tan head which leaves a good lace. On the nose the aromas are of bread or toast and slight caramel. On the palate more of the same, light toasted bread, a touch of caramel, lightly hopped, slight bitterness, followed by more malts…emm one of my favorite beers of the night at the Grey Lodge...

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured a nice deep amber/copper color with a decent head that settled into a nice covering. not very carbonated (as it should be).

Smelled great. lots and lots of sweet and biscuity malts up front...i can barely pickup the note of hops in the background. i can tell i'm probably going to love this, because the smells of all the toasted malts is making my mouth water

tastes as good as i was hoping. lots of sweet malts cover the palate. the malts are very rich and are used perfectly. a tad bit of hops at the end give this beer great balance. has a nice, subtly sweet malt aftertaste. outstanding.

mouthfeel is good-- not too carbonated, but still has enough to remind you that you're drinking beer.

drinkability is incredible. i could drink these all night long

overall-- marzens are probably my favorite style of beer, so I was surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did-- especially for a US marzen. Sam Adam's Octoberfest is usually my go-to for US made Marzens-- but now I'd have to go with the OktoberFish if they were sitting side by side. However-- this wouldn't keep me from getting a German made (i.e Paulaner) Marzen.

I love this beer. Buy it if you can.

PS- I love the Bavarian flag background on the label!

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a fine "fest" or is it? The bottle says that this is an ale. Wait Marzen is suppose to be Lager. Searched the web site - they are using a kolsche yeast to produce this. No wonder it's more complex then most "fest" beer.

Usually I am a purist and I must say if I could rate this on style I would have to knock it down a few steps for not following guidlines. Fortunatly that isn't part of the rating system! I love the flavor and I will make an exception based on pure taste.

I recomend buying soon as it is very limited. Something different - a real treat!

12 oz. bottle, mine says 5.3% ABV,

A: Pours a classic orange with a light white head. Solid retention per the style, no lace.

S: Sweet Munich malt, lemon zest, some cracked grains.

T: A nice balance of husky grain and sweetness. A subtle note of bittersweet chocolate in the mid-palate adds an interesting element. The caramel flavour in the finish is very enjoyable. Bright crisp hopping adds to the balance.

M: Light to medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, light aftertaste.

O: A really good festbier, and it's nice to see another East Coast version of this style in CA, they seem to do it well. It has a freshness that's hard to find with a version from across the pond.

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

Served chilled into a tulip glass from a bottle.

Slight hazy copper color w/ 1/2" of eggshell color head that quickly turns into an oily surface layer.

Aroma reminds me of crisp sour apples along with some slight sweet caramel and roastiness, along with some earthen hops. Decent.

Flavor is slightly tart/sour citus flavors along with some apple flavor (apple peel actually) along with a bit of pine hops on the finish. Very tasty IMO and enjoyable.

Feel is nice. Well balanced between the smoothness and crispness along with the carbonation. No alcohol detected. Nice all around IMO.

I dropped the drinkability off a bit here, because I found this one to be rather sweet to which I enjoyed. However, I know not all people enjoy sweet brews, so I decided that I doubt I could drink a growler of it, so hence, a lower score here. However, I liked it for the most part.

OktoberFish from Flying Fish Brewing Company