Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by GeoffFromSJ on 09-13-2002

1.32/5  rDev -62.3%

Terrible! May have gotten a bad batch. Undrinkable.

1.73/5  rDev -50.6%

OktoberFISH? Yeah, that's what it tasted like!!! Hard to believe they didn't add OLD fish in there, as that is what it tasted like-a bad wheat beer!!!! It has to be the worst Oktoberfest I've ever had, unless it was just turned. But it says on the label, best by 1-14-18, so I doubt that it was. Yech_()(*&%^$%#$*IUIO_+{OYYU^T{{OPYGG!!! Avoid this one at all costs-and I will never buy one from them again, believe me! There's no excuse for brewing like this!

1.78/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Got a 1/6 barrel of this. Maybe because I just finished a Yards PPA, but this batch was awful! Smell and taste were d-. Think pumpkin. I like Flying fish, local, lots of options, but this was not the cats meow, it came from the other end. Brooklyn, Long Trail and Yards are my go to after this. Now I have a week of this. If it improves, and I grow to like it, I will revise review. The man cave needs top notch brew, and this does not not make the grade. PS- I have had more than 30 brews pass thru my tap. Update: after almost a week of this fish, I have gotten a little more used to the taste. Still would give a D grade. Ordered a 1/2 Yards PPA at $165 9.26.13. Pricy but worth it.

1.84/5  rDev -47.4%

2.2/5  rDev -37.1%

12 oz Bottle in pint glass.

A: Looks promising. Rich copper color with thick head. Leaves very nice lacing down the sides.

S: What smell? Smells like water and malt. More emphasis on the water.

T: Not a bad taste. But very bland. Overwhelming malt, I guess its the style, but blah.

M: Fizzy and weak. Watery.

O: Im not a fan of Oktoberfests. But this beer seems subpar. Tastes like nothing smells like nothing. Its just a nothing beer. Id drink it to get drunk and thats all.

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

2.29/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a thin head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is a confusing mixture of candy and malt.
The taste is candy sweet, mild grain and touch of bitter. Quite sweet overall.
The texture is sticky.
It's really sweet without balance.

2.44/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Crisp, clear, and clean as a whistle. A white head fades quickly and leaves a thin light lace. Eratic carbonation bubbles make their way up the glass.

What I would consider a lackluster attemp at aromatics. Very little malt, and subtle floral hop. Not much to it.

Not much in the way of flavor either. No complexity and completely onesided. Malt is hardly prevelant and the floral hop is hidde in the background. Things seem discombobulated.

2.47/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not sure if I got an old bottle, but a freshness date would have resolved that.

Cloudy, no head, grainy smell, grainy taste. Thin body and not very drinkable. I'm reviewing because it's the only bottle I will ever have.

Please consider freshness dating your beer. It would keep people like me from having to experience it a year after you wanted me to.

Nothing redeeming about this beer at all. still, purchased in a very reputable shop and lack of date makes me wonder if it is old or not. Not recommended, this was going to be a drain pour as soon as I saw it in the glass.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm hoping this is the worst Oktoberfest I have this year...it has certainly claimed that distinction so far.

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Another American craft brewery trying to brew Oktoberfest beer. The good thing, it does not taste like an IPA like many others that I tried. It also has 6% ABV which you can taste. Other than that it is an uneventful beer. It pours some head which lasts for a while but I did not get any taste of an Oktoberfest beer.
If you want to drink true Oktoberfest beer, get the originals from Munich (Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, Hofbraeu or Spaten).
They even have a limited edition of "original Wiesn" (= Oktoberfest) beer that you can buy.
Also Karl Strauss from San Diego has a decent Oktoberfest beer.

2.56/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a nice caramel-brown tone with slowly rising bubbles in a rather clear body; head is creamy white with a thick tracing that does not slide in time--a good start... somewhat sprucy (!)--or skunked (!!)--and caramel-sweet to the nose... the bouquet is big for an octoberfest, and more perfume than malttoo--intriguing... medium-bodied, with a bit of effervescence in the tongue and tocuhes at the throat--a rather swift rush overall... strangely stiff on the malt, almost making me doubt its freshness (the second bottle was a carbon copy)... pulls at the mouth and has a malty, woody pulp in its finish--the strength of its taste is to be commended, but its maltiness is a bit overstated, almost like it wandered through the winter into bock season.... I'm hoping the beer's skunked, and if it is, I will rewrite the review--if not, this is not an enjoyable brew for its style, with its caramelized sugary bluntness dragging down the more mellow characteristics of the beer... and Flying Fish is usually on point...

2.61/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This wasn't a bad beer, but it didn't seem to do very well adhering to the style. It poured an amber bronze colour, as it should have, with a great looking head that hung around for a while, but that's where it ended. Smell was mostly malt, but the hops present are certainly either centennial or cascade. Grapefruit / pine resin in an O'fest? No thanks. Taste was even worse. Not that it tasted *bad*, it was just simply not an Oktoberfest and *definately* not what I was expecting; Malt dominating at first, followed by a pronounced "West-Coast" style hoppiness. A total disaster of an Oktoberfest, but a decent hoppy amber ale of sorts, I suppose.

2.66/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought this a few weeks into November when the store was trying to move Oktoberfest inventory to make way for winter brews. I was not a fan, wouldn't recommend it. There are better oktoberfests out there.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%