Exit 4 | Flying Fish Brewing Company

Flying Fish Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
flyingfish.com

Style: Tripel

This inspired Belgian-style Trippel has a hazy golden hue and the aroma of citrus with hints of banana and clove. Predominant Belgian malt flavors give way to a subdued bitterness in the finish.

Added by Foxman on 03-10-2009

I'm not a fan of yeasty beers but this one isn't bad. Some noticeable hops help it out. Smell is all yeast for me. Taste is fruity up front followed by some nice hops and then aftertaste is lingering yeast. Not my style. nb

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%

(12oz bottle from Total Wine Desert Ridge). Pours clear golden with white head. Active carbonation and a bit of lacing. Aroma is musty and has dank hops, along with some citrus. Is this an IPA?? Taste is sweet and has artificial perfumey notes. Medium bodied. This is the worst example of a trippel I have ever had. Terrible.

2.21/5  rDev -42%

Pours with a foamy white head that faded quickly. Slightly cloudy pale gold color. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very spicy and Yeasty. Later is learn what this has in store. A bit cleaner like. Not medicinal. But kitchen cleaner. Glade? Sharp and not soft at all.

Spicy, medicinal, yeasty, Chalky, some fruit, some pepper, earthy, mineral. Truthfully, lots going on here. I'm just not sure how much of it I like.

Very dry and chalky mouth feel.

Did not find this drinkable at all and I was not drawn to my next sip.

Sorry

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Sorry, but I just don't like tripels. Perhaps this one is a well-made example, but I just don't get it.

2.27/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance -- Pours a bright golden hue, zero haze, with a slim lily-white head.

Smell -- Apricots, citrus, clove, mild banana and earthy Belgian yeast. Not thrilling, but my interest is piqued.

Taste -- Citrusy hops are prominent upon the sip. Honey malt sweetness, ripe pear, muted clove and bubblegum from the yeast. Alcohol is incredibly prominent, bracing even. Forceful resinous hop bitterness toward the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carb. Higher alcohols are biting, more akin to grain alcohol than a mild warming sensation.

Drinkability This beer was a bit of a chore. Classic tripel flavors were muted, hop presence was OVERKILL, and the alcohol presence was difficult to look over. Your mileage may vary, but I'll be avoiding this.

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

Cheers!

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Triples are too much for me

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

I must compliment Flying Fish for ingenuity. I know a lot of brewers are trying to tackle this "fusion" style of citrus hops and Belgian phenols. For me, it just never works.

The beer pours beautiful, the look of a powerfully deceiving tripple with a puffy white head. The aroma starts the fall from grace. The beer smells of plastic. The smell reminds me of being a kid and ripping into the packaging of a brand new action figure. The flavor is a bit better as the taste of both a good Belgian tripple and a solid IPA can both be percieved; however, the flavors compete for dominance instead of blending harmoniously. Finally the plastic returns which hides some pineapple and banana flavors that are lying in the background.

I think the problem here is that tripple is a big, expressinve beer. But, there is subtlety to the flavor. With Exit 4 the subtle flavors are masked behind a second layer of bold expressiveness.

I love the brewery for pushing the envelope and I look forward to buying the next release in the series. With innovation like this, Flying Fish is sure to hit a HUGE winner sooner than later.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a heavy caramel color and has the aroma of burnt oak. The aroma of the burnt wood is curious, but the taste is purely burnt. The beer pours with a bit more head than I would have liked and the aftertaste detracts from the overall experience. It tastes as if it were kept in a bag of charcoal as it was being brewed. Not by any means the worst beer in the world, but my first bottle will be my only bottle.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

I've had good American Tripels, but this bottle isn't one of them. Smells vaguely like stinky feet. Tastes like it's Pale Ale malt bill, transitions into odd and mild phenol, then sweet finish with some lingering hop flavor and bitterness. It's not Belgian phenolic enough to be interesting, but lacks clean IPA yeast/malt flavor too. Sweet (for a tripel) finish is just heartbreaking.

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

Pours a sparkling golden color with an average white head. A bit of spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries some light grain and bread plus a bit of spice. Nothing too complex or involved. The flavor is slightly bready with a light sweetness and just a touch of yeast. Not too much going on. Light to medium body with good carbonation. Falls pretty flat for the style.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

Was close to drain pouring this on first taste but it got a good bit better as it warmed. Lots of citrus hops and alcohol. The biggest problem with this beer is the alcohol actually is stronger than the 9.5 percent that it checks in at.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company