Exit 4 | Flying Fish Brewing Company

Flying Fish Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
flyingfish.com

Style: Tripel

This inspired Belgian-style Trippel has a hazy golden hue and the aroma of citrus with hints of banana and clove. Predominant Belgian malt flavors give way to a subdued bitterness in the finish.

Added by Foxman on 03-10-2009

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%

Didn't know what I was getting into when I ordered this beer. I was at a place that had all these diff beers and grabbed a bunch. This one was in the mix.
I poured it into a 22 oz Duval Tulip glass so I can got a good head and,,,after a vigorous pour...there was a small white head.
Didn't look too impressive.
Didn't know what to expect when I tasted it...

BUT....

I was blown away by all the flavors this beer had to offer. Incredibly lively and very pleasent. Every sip of this beer reminded me of a great Belgian Beer I ran across in Paris...but, I'll be damned if I remember the name. I'll come across that beer again sometime----and I'll edit this review to tell you the Belg Beer I'm thinking of.
That will make an observer, (reader), get an idea of what this beer tastes like.

It is definitely a beer I would drink again.

Den

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Super light with a little bit of haze. Head stays around for a long time.
S: Very fruity. Orange, cherry, strawberry come through a lot. some spice notes as well.
T: Very fruity and spicy. Notes of banana and clove. I appreciate the spice notes as well: a little different than other tripels I've had.
M: Sits perfect. Very creamy with a good body. Lots of dynamic flavors that develop.

Overall a very nice beer. It pour rather unintimating but the tastes that came through really were nice. It almost reminds me of an IPA in some ways with the spice notes and I do love me a good IPA. A highly recommended beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz bottle into short-stemmed tulip.

A: definitely hazed, but bright blonde hued brew. head isnt nearly as frothy as most belgian tripels, nor is the lacing.

S: pears, white pepper. sugar. green melon. brown-sugar quaker oatmeal. floral. lilacs and lillies. dandelions.

T: melon, citrus, cactus. banana, yogurt. linger reminds me of old bay seasoning/whatever they use for Popeyes fried chicken. crazy i know, but im just popping off whatever comes to mind! similar to the nose, pears. the body is there without being cloying or overly sweet.

M: low/average carbonation. full bodied for sure.

D: one of the most easy drinking tripel's ive consumed. great diversity of fruity flavors makes this very enjoyable. very glad they put this in 12oz bottles and definitely worth picking up.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy gold color with a skim head and thick edging. This gives way to finger lace. The aroma is of banana's and clove with a citrus hop aroma and a hint of yeastiness. The taste follows suit with banana and clove starting you off. Mid beer a candied yeast flavor takes hold before a floral and citrus hop bite finishes the beer off. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it was not what I was expecting, it was a good beer, but it seemed to blur the lines of a tripel and an ipa.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company