Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Exit 4 | Flying Fish Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Exit 4Exit 4

Flying Fish Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States | website

Style: Tripel

This inspired Belgian-style Trippel has a hazy golden hue and the aroma of citrus with hints of banana and clove. Predominant Belgian malt flavors give way to a subdued bitterness in the finish.

Added by Foxman on 03-10-2009

Reviews: 266 | Ratings: 699
3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The day was long, in the thick, muddy yellow-orange haze... There was a vast, frothy cloud cover early on, but it left quickly and no traces remained. We had been rowing since early morning, our bodies drenched with sweat and the aroma of key lime pies with graham cracker crusts. The day had been long, but the catch good as we had sailed through the one-footed islands and spoken with the long-forgotten professors in the old, pillared halls of yesteryear. More aromas, notes of caramel and lemon, mango, warm alcohol and a hint of Hawaiian pizza... always a lovely aroma to come home to after a long day, and now to drift off before the roaring fire in a burgundy tassel-chair...
But the flavour disappoints, lacking complexities, honey-sweet throughout and a bit of hop-bite in the finish, and my toes are too warm. A lot of warming alcohol, but not very multi-dimensional, really. A shame, as the rain beats on the stoop and reminds me that the weather beyond those teak walls is anything but favorable.
The body is medium and not fluffy enough for the style, lightly dry and a massively sweet, syrupy, warming finish. I'll dream of something else, this is obtrusive...
Really not very drinkable, even for a tripel. It's too one-dimensionally sweet and syrupy, and too warming... and really just nothing else.
So I'll lie here in my easy chair and dream, dream of better times, and try to forget that I must wake to row again in the morning...

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Clear yellow gold in color. Upon pouring, a small head forms , but quickly dissipates, leaving just a light surface coasting. Some minimal lacing.

S: An odd earthy-sour aroma, reminiscent of enoki mushrooms. Orange, grapefruit, and wild rice.

T: Slight caramel sweetness. Slight sourness; not at all tart. A little spice. Earthy, fruity, and a bit medicinal.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body - A little light for the style. Appropriately carbonated. Becomes a little cloying.

D: I found this beer to be rather disagreeable: sweet and sour, but not in a good way. Became worse at it warmed.

3.32/5  rDev -12.9%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a medium hazy amber/orange with a small white frothy head that was mostly diminishing and had fair lacing. The aroma was moderately heavy of resin hops, a mild straw malts and a doughy yeast with a hint of citrus and alcohol. It tasted mildly sweet and slightly malty at first and then became slightly bitter-sweet with a hint of yeast and alcohol at the finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and dry in texture with a very soft carbonation. Overall a nice tasty tripel with a complexity of flavor.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden yellowish orange color with paler golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a one finger off white head that slowly fades into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet aroma with subtle hops, candy fruit and estery light fruit notes. Slight bubblegum presence as well as a prominent spice character.

Medium bodied with a prominent spice flavor up front that lingers throughout over the bready, estery yeast and fruit notes into a dry finish. Hints of cherry, apple and pear with a good bit of bubblegum and peppermint. Easy to drink with a slightly cloying dry finish.

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at The Standard Tap in Philly.

Served in a flute glass. Peach color with a very thin white head. Bubbles around rim on the thin head.

Tastes like a standard Belgian Golden/Strong ale whcih would be consistent with the tripel style (I didn't know the official style during consumption.

Nothing happening on the aroma for this beer on draft.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

Saw this new at the store and decided to try it out.

Served from a bottle into a chilled glass.

A - Cloudy and golden. Very little head to this one, with little lacing. Some carbonation noticeable, but very little. The sediment from the bottle seem suspended in the beer... which gives it a "jelly" kind of look... if it weren't for the few bubbles of carbonation I would think that I could take a spoon of it and spread it on toast...

S - Very "clean" smell... and not strong on the nose at all... subtle hints of the hops, may be banana?... surprising... there is not a word I can use other that "clean", not like pine sol or cleaning products "clean", but like fresh clear water clean... and with the 9.5 abv I would think that the alcohol would come through.. but not at all. I'm not sure if I wish there was more to the smell... or if I like the fact that it is such a crisp, clear nose.

T - Good taste... nothing overpowering, but nothing too complex. The flavors of citrus, banana, some clove... all there but well balanced. Sweet finish. Easy on the tongue and pleasurable... but nothing that gives me that "wow" I can't wait to try another. This is the kind of flavor I'd like in a beer for spring or summer cookouts...

M - Not watery, but not thick either. Just... o. k. At times I felt like it was almost "oily" with a coating in the mouth that needed to be cleared after the initial swallow.

O - Not bad... but not exciting. I don't think I will get this one again... but am glad I tried it. I think where this one shines is in the fact that it is REALLY potent, but unlike many strong ABV beers where the alcohol scent/flavor are very noticeable... the Exit 14 makes it smooth, and easy to drink. Part of me really wants to rate this one higher... but for all of it's uniqueness... it comes off as just average, and in that... I'm torn... like I said... I really want to like this more than I do... it seems that it was an ambitious brew... that just barely missed the mark of amazing.

Additionally - this is my first try at a "Trippel" style beer, and after reading the description of what this style is... Exit 4 nails it on the head. If this is the kind of beer you enjoy... I think you will like this one. I won't alter my review based on my new found knowledge of the style... as it is my honest review, and may be this is not the style for me... but I think that if you like Trippels... you should check this out.

3.27/5  rDev -14.2%

An unexpected package arrived from my wife's cousin in New Jersey a couple of months ago, and inside were several Flying Fish bottles. I've got nice in-laws. This bottle of Exit 4 is the last one left.
Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Gordon tulip glass. Body is a mellow golden hue, topped by a short-lived crown of fluffy white head that recedes to nothing after a couple of minutes. Light carbonation bubbles up but is also spent within a few minutes.
Sweet aroma of tropical fruit, pale malt, and some candi sugar. Notes of pineapple, grassy hops, and a decent whiff of booze that is noticeably less than the other bottle I had in May.
Palate is again sweet malt and fruit, without much hop presence up front. Notes of pineapple and white grape, along with pale malt and a touch of honey. A mild, grassy hop presence comes through on the swallow, but fades on the finish. Nice, warming alcohol provides a nice end note.
Body is full and a little syrupy, without much carbonation. Not how I really like for a tripel to be, but not wholly unpleasant. This is maybe a beer that needs to be consumed while it's pretty fresh. Nice flavor, but I think it's a bit faded, and the body leaves a bit to be desired.

3.27/5  rDev -14.2%

750ml into Westmalle goblets.

A- cloudy, bright orange color. poured almost as flat as apple juice, and what little head it had, it lost quickly.

S- very grape-y aroma, but not like standard grape juice, more like wild grapes, or like the thick-skinned, seeded blue grapes. Alcohol aroma is also present.

T- sweet, malty flavor, with less delicious wild grapes, and more grape flavored tussen. The hugely sweet front falls into a tart-yet-medicinal flavor. The bitterness is very nice, and the tart grape flavor I enjoy a lot. But then the tussen flavor comes in and smashes the flavor profile, and then lingers in a moldy aftertaste. The wild-grape tart flavor is so great, but the tussen flavor is so terrible.

After working through more of the glass, I notice that drinking a sip more quickly, rather than savoring it, helps reduce the unpleasant tussen flavor. This is, obviously, a compromise.

By the end of the glass, the tussen flavor is almost forgotten, and a bitter flavor remains. I imagine it is tart wild grapes + green apples, but the alcohol has dulled the palate enough to forget the tussen, so the nuance is lost as well.

The alcohol content in this beer is really not hidden very well at all.

M- light carbonation means that the sugary, boozy beer coasts the mouth and weighs it down more than you might prefer. It isn't terrible, but it could be better.

D- I don't think a 9.7% tripple *can* be highly drinkable, in a session-type definition. As to whether I would buy this again, I can't say for sure, but if they stop making it and I don't get a chance to buy more, I will just buy a better tripple.

Notes- this isn't a *terrible* beer, but with the seeds they have, it certainly feels like they could have grown something better.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Hazy golden color. Interesting... smells more like a BPA. The taste is in line with a BPA as well, with hops riding over the tripel backbone. A clean, well-made beer. However, the pronounced sweetness is very offputting and really throws the beer way out of balance for me. How in the world did this win the 2011 Washington Post Beer Madness bracket?!

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

626th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12 oz.

Total Wine and More Las Vegas, Sumerlin

App- a very murky hazy darker yellow with some orange highlights. A 3/4 in head that fell quickly. A little bit of cling.

Smell- So gone is that normal yeasty wheat based triple and replaced with some citrus malt.

Taste- Much bigger citrus than I expected. It was lacking a yeasty wheat aspect but a big bigger than given credit for. Damp and a bit thick.

Medium- Thicker medium bodied and Medium carbonation. A nice thick citrus taste.

Drink- A weird triple to say the least. Wasnt bad but just off from what I am used to. Tasty just bigger and thicker. I probably wont have this one again.

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 750 ml into two separate tulip-style chalices (one for me and one for my wife). A very nice looking beer of a copper color that bubbles up with a frothy head and leaves you with a healthy lacing. Carbonation seems moderate and I noted quite a bit of sediment - obviously heavy as it settled immediately - on the bottom of my glass.

From here on this beer is very deceiving. The side panel of the label gives the impression of a Belgian style brew yet at first whiff hops evade my nostrils. Perhaps the front of the label can explain this as it is clearly denoted this is an "American Trippel". Ok, fine - it's a take on a Belgian style, and obviously hops are a big part of American craft brewing. This beer is really more of a "Belgian IPA" and I'll try to review it as such (otherwise it would have been scored much lower).

The taste is more of the same, hops. I was hoping for some Belgian attributes to shine through, but they really weren't there for me as the bitterness knocks out these other elements like Chuck Norris's roundhouse. However that seems to be the ticket for a Belgian IPA - so I suppose we can call it average. A bit on the dry side with earthy yeast on the back end. The mouthful warms with spicy alcohol biting the tongue, I wished for more.

As someone who enjoys hops, I'm going to be more forgiving on the drinkability. It's a good drink, just very elusive in its labeling. Where is that % abv anyway?

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

A- Looks like a nice tripel, golden with a hint of copper. A 1 inch white head sits on top and fades slowly, leaving good lacing.

S- Huh, a lot going on. Very cidery with some alcohol coming through and american hops. A little like someone mixed a hard cider with an IPA, not very enjoyable but the belgian yeast notes of pear and apricot bring it a little bit back, still kind of weird.

T- Similar to the smell but without the alcohol being noticeable and the fruity yeast character going more in the direction of pear than apple. The flavors are all bold and in a lot of different directions (fruity yeast, sweet lager like malt and citrusy american hops). Overall it doesn't taste bad but it seems like some of the flavors are unnecessary. Were it a little more bitter it would be a cidery belgian IPA, but as is it's just a strange take on a tripel.

M- Feels right, lots of good carbonation with a fairly thin but perky sip.

D- For how strong in ABV this beer is it certainly is drinkable, that said the flavors never came together in the way I would've liked and the belgian yeast notes were not quite where they should have been. A nice try but not something I would buy again.

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle, allowed to warm some from the fridge before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a hazy tangerine. Exit 4's got a nearly four finger tall white foam cap. that fades just a little too quickly for retention to be considered "good". Likewise, there spots of lacing left all over the glass, but I'm looking for full rings and sheets of it. The nose is disappointingly weak, with alcohol by far the most prominent presence. Citrusy hops, pale malt sweetness, and a hint of clove are all present, but just barely. The flavor is a vast improvement, if still somewhat pedestrian for the style. A sweetness leads off, very heavy on pears, and blends quite nicely with the tropical fruity american hop notes. The problem is that where I'd like to see a big clove yeast presence and a slight warming from the alcohol, I instead find an unpalatable booziness and a hint of yeast phenols. Still, the other half of the flavor profile is good, so the beer's not a total lost cause. The body is impressively and appropriately light for a relatively large beer, but the carbonation is far from Belgianeque. It's a bit flabby and inexpressive. Exit 4 isn't a terrible beer, and I think the idea of marrying a tripel and American hops has promise, but the execution falls short when compared to top class versions of the style

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this 750 in a trade with somebody here, thanks whoever you are. Hazy yellow-orange and just plain murky. Aroma is spicy but muddled and had a bit of esters, meh. Flavor is definitely oxidized, tastes old but a slight bit of pear and grains. This was drinkable but I suspect it is old and I don't much care for old beer.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

12 ounce bottle - Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out an ever so slightly hazed, darkened golden body with a medium-sized, snow white head that thins out but lasts the ride down.

Smell: Pilsner malts, a whiff of crunchy, raw grains splashed with grain alcohol underneath the slightly more aromatic hops yielding scents of florals, pithy tropical citrus fruits, and the notes of ground-up tangerine-flavored aspirin I always get from those pesky Amarillo hops.

Taste: "American Trippel", so it's sort of like a labradoodle. Tangy, grainy tastes of pils malt and malted wheat with a brief sugary sweetness that is quickly scuttled by the less-than-subtle American hop character pushing in a citric, pithy taste of citrus rinds and a bold bitterness. A small hint of banana and clove in there, but, essentially, they're buried under the cutting citrus hops. Alcohol warming from tongue to belly. It's reasonably crisp at the dry, bitter finish with lingering of white pepper.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Reminiscent of Green Flash's Le Freak. Leaves you navigating the loosely traditional aspects and the sharp American hops like a beer-based Magellan. As a classic tripel, it fails, though, perhaps, it would be better suited touting itself as an American-born Belgian IPA.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Copper orangeish hazy color small head not much lacing.

S: As stated on the bottle, hoppy. Also banana notes in there

T: I'm definitely not used to a hoppy tripel... Fruity esters and alcohol are dominant in the beginning before giving way to a bit of a citrusy hop characteristic - which kind of goes ok with the banana quality. Lingering bitterness.

M: medium/full bodied with a mostly dry finish.

O: Tough to rate this one since it is much hoppier than any other tripel I'ved tried. The tastes are pretty good and the alcohol is not too well hidden. (at 9.5% thats not a big surprise). Overall, I'm happy I've tried it.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

"Affairs are easier of entrance than of exit; and it is but common prudence to see our way out before we venture in."

--Aesop

Ablaze apricot with butter rum borders and nowhere near Champagnesque carbonation. A lack of visible bubbles doesn't matter at all because three fingers of alabaster colored cream was created on the pour. The head looks splendid from its creation to its near demise, while gracing the glass with lovely lace in the interim.

The nose is strangely subdued, despite what should be distinctive ingredients on the hop side of the ledger. Simcoe, Columbus, Palisades and Amarillo aren't exactly classic for the style. Tripel would not have been my first guess if blinded... which is never good.

Exit 4 is a disappointment on the palate, it's as simple as that. This inaugural release in the brewery's self-proclaimed 'brewing experiment' does not rise to heights of Exit 11 (APWA), or even Exit 1 (foreign/export stout). It tastes like a relatively well-brewed American malt liquor that uses Belgian abbey ale yeast.

Age should not be a factor since this big brew is still months away from its first birthday. Besides, beer of this sort should last at least that long... and longer. The pale malt is too grainy and alcohol plays too big a role in the flavor profile. And yet, it stops well short of being hot and harsh.

Too bad that the unconventional (for the style) American hops don't play a bigger role. There's a bit of tropical fruitiness goin' on, but that only succeeds in making Exit 4 taste less like a true tripel than it already does. I would have settled for an American-hopped Belgian-style IPA, but it doesn't taste like one of those either.

Specifics include pears and apples macerated in grain alcohol, grapefruit and lemon zest, and a smattering of ground clove. In the end, it's a mishmash that won't scare the best domestic tripels, much less the best that Belgium has to offer. Time and warming don't change a thing, other than rounding off a few of the rougher edges with respect to flavor and mouthfeel.

Speaking of which, the beer feels pretty good in the mouth. It can't hold a candle to versions from Brouwerij Bosteels, Brouwerij St. Bernardus, et al, but it's more than acceptable if you like American-style big beer that isn't thick and chewy.

It looks like Flying Fish has decided that Exit 4 is good enough to be released in six packs. Here's hoping they performed a major overhaul, because the beer that I'm drinking right now isn't ready for prime time. Even though it has a rough sort of charm, that has never been enough where Belgian-style tripels are concerned.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Twelve ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Clear deep gold to bronze colored beer with a lightly off white head. The head is short-lived and leaves me with no lacing to speak of.

A cidery aroma, with big alcohol presence and hints of bubble gum and some spice. There is a yeasty character to the aroma as well. The taste is of green apple, tart pear with spice and huge alcohol warmth. Really the alcohol is up front in this tripel.

Light to medium bodied, not substantial in the mouthfeel department. Leaves you a little dry and still tasting alcohol. It's a sipper for sure, but it is not one of the better American versions of this style.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

A - The beer pours a slightly hazy light orange with a thin 2cm white head. This is a little darker than I was expecting for the style.

S - Subtle yet pronounced Simcoe and Amarillo hops immediate take over. This is totally unexpected for a tripel! There are some other light citrus fruits mixed in, but I'm not picking up anything that would make me think tripel. The smell is beautiful, but not really to style. Where is the spice? Where is the Belgian candi sugar?

T - Bitter citrus hops (the simcoe and amarillo right away) right up front. Beautiful tangerine and other citrus fruits. There is a little bit of tart fruit and spice, but the only thing that says Tripel to me is the alcohol burn.

M - Thin to medium body with high carbonation.

Unfortunately I'm not really impressed with this beer. It tasted more like a pale ale mixed with vodka and some spice. It's not a terrible beer, I just don't really think this lives up to my expectations. I'm sorry Flying Fish. I know you said it would be an American Tripel, but I'm just not biting.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Almost a finger of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is mild; only a little grain and lemon.
The taste is barnyardish and alcohol with a little lemon thrown in.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
An average beer in a tough category.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Pours a dark, slightly hazy orange with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Some spices and bubblegum up front followed by sweet honey and light fruits. There's a strong grassy hop aroma on the finish, almost like a Belgian IPA.

T: Sweet fruits and honey at first with an underlying yeasty flavor. Grassy hop flavors follow along with a bit of an alcohol burn on the finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer has a pretty low attenuation and is sticky sweet where it should be light and crisp. The sweetness almost coats the mouth and the alcohol burn keep this from having the desired feel of a good tripel

O: Overall not a bad beer, but I'd almost call it a Belgian IPA rather than a tripel--the bottle even advertises its relative hoppiness compared to other tripels. I might rate it slightly higher as a BIPA, but as a tripel it is too sweet, thick, and lacking the light fruit flavors that make a good tripel.

Poured from 750ml bottle. A little darker in color than most tripels. Apricot color with two fingers of white head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass. Aroma i slightly fruity with hints of tropical fruit and white grapes. Faint hints of spice such as cloves. Alcohol is very evident in the nose. The flavor seems to be a bit sloppy. Alcohol just dominates the palate. If that was not bad enough, this beer is also very dry and has a bitter finish. Hard to pick out any of the Belgian qualities. Sort of tastes like cheap, high ABV wine. I think I am being generous giving this a 2.5 in taste. The body is on par for the style and is nicely carbonated. Bottle conditioning worked its magic here. Not an enjoyable beer and aging will do little to improve this beer. Not impressed with my first Flying Fish limited series beer.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle thanks to an unnamed Advocate. No freshness date.

Pours a hazy brownish gold with thin to little off-white head. Nose has the classic markers of a triple: grain husks, mellow citrus, some herbal aromas. Palate is slick and sweet right off the bat. Malted grains flavor dominates and is joined with orange blossom honey. I would think an American Triple would be more "unique" than this. Too sweet for me, and I really like sweet triples. This is too loose on the mouthfeel; no structure at all. Not impressed, unfortunately.

2.97/5  rDev -22%

Another review I guess I wasn't fast enough with. Gone....

This 'American Trippel' I pour into a Belgian globe glass. Pours a clear golden with a minimal cap of foam and light retention.

Aroma of pils malt and candi sugar. Warms to offer some nice yeast components but the lack of carbonation keeps things at bay.

Taste follows with some neutral pils malt and some piney hops. With warming this beer offers some hope as for the American Trippel but it is still lacking. Feel starts off quite light and warms up to moderate.

Overall a decent stab but let it warm up to 50 or more before you open the bottle. Quite undercarbonated below that temp.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours slightly hazy and golden in a tulip with a 3 finger near-white head. Nose is hoppy and citrus with some bready yeast and clove. As it warms I actually get a bit of strawberry.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium to high carbonation and a dry finish.

Wow. Intensely hoppy for a tripel. Taste is over-the-top bitter and hoppy and kind of takes you by surprise. A bit of astringency and alcohol warmth lingers on the tongue. Bread, yeast, a little peppery. Bottle mentions a "subdued bitterness"... I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe with a little age on this it'll mellow out a bit.

Drinkability is going to take a bit of a hit on this one. I'm a big hop head but something is just not right about the balance of this beer. I don't entirely dislike it - it kind of grows on you - but I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company