Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA | Flying Fish Brewing Company

Flying Fish Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
flyingfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Although usually identified with landfills and pipelines, the Hackensack Meadowlands is an amazingly diverse ecosystem providing vital animal and plant habitat. In a nod to a once common food plant here, we’ve brewed this beer with wild rice. We also added organic brown and white rice, as well as pils and pale malts.

Rice helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five different hops we added. Lots and lots of them. We then dry-hopped this Double IPA with even more–generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops to create a nose that hints at tangerine, mango, papaya and pine. This beer pairs extremely well with spicy foods and all kinds of seafood. And of course, it’s quite enjoyable all by itself.

Added by donniecuffs on 03-10-2010

4.1

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My bottle is about 14 months old, but was stored well in a dark indoor location, so I think it did nicely. The label says "WILD RICE" in big letters, but it smells and tastes like a typical quality IPA to me, particularly in the abundance of citrus. Very attractive hazy gold color. Drinks incredibly smoothly for a DIPA. Really like this one. Next time I'm in Jersey I'm going to need to buy more.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brilliant golden sunrise color! Very nice. Head dissipates quickly, but that's not a big deal for me. The smell... hmm. There IS some citrus, but something else too that I am not that fond of. Could this be the rice? Not sure. Very faint hint of nail polish. Or a bit of sourness. Not terrible. Just not that appealing.

The taste is for me primarily piney rather than citrusy. Again, there is a sort of muted flavor of... something I can't quite pin down... that I am not used to in IPA's. It's... OKAY. Is the flavor actually improving somewhat as it warms? Could be, or maybe I've had too much alcohol over the past hour or so.

Carbonation is pretty... active at first. Then settles down.

Well... it's not typical of the style, and there is no crime in that.

Overall, it is a beer that I would not turn down if offered to me. I don't think I would buy it again though.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%