Cellar Reserve: Cake Therapy

From:
Trimtab Brewing Company

Alabama, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Cellar Reserve: Cake TherapyCellar Reserve: Cake Therapy
Notes: We welcome the latest from our Cellar Reserve Series, CAKE THERAPY!! This Imperial Stout is crafted with Double Chocolate, Cinnamon and Vanilla Icing. Indulge with this 10% abv dessert stout and make it a pint to remember.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 19 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
WoodBrew from Ohio

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I got a can of this beer from my good friend and old neighbor from the 'Wego. It poured an opaque dark with no head and no lace. The scent had chocolate brownie goodness. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with a horchata semisweet chocolate flare. The mouthfeel was medium in body and had good carbonation. Overall it is a very good beer.

Feb 15, 2021
Buck_Jones from Michigan

3.91/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This one is weird for me. It poured beautifully, nice motor-oil black, with a gorgeous, thick khaki head.

The smell is chocolate and vanilla pretty much all the way. Little to no cinnamon detected; although, admittedly, I usually need a LOT of cinnamon to pick it up. So far, so good.

Then, the taste. It starts with vanilla, then chocolate follows, then this unpleasant burnt taste as mentioned in a review below. Very off-putting. Was thinking drain pour, but the more I got in to the glass, I either got acclimated to it, or the burnt taste lessened as it warmed, but it became more tolerable.

Felt strongly inclined to explain why my scores are all over the place on this one.

Jan 01, 2021
hoptheology from South Dakota

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can from brewery.
Parish Teku.

Deep silky black. Thin head.

Aroma of burnt wires, burnt rubber, and dark roasted malt. Slight chocolate cake mix.

Flavor is much of the same - burnt rubber and spongy chocolate cake (no frosting), some chocolate sweetness, but then overshadowed by burnt flavors; some worms-in-dirt dessert from childhood; earthy coffee, slight vanilla, baking powder, and lactose.

Feel is slick and smooth but medium bodied not heavy; has a heavy alcohol warmth, and a clinging finish.

Overall, I had it at the brewery and was not impressed but decided to take a can home anyways because I was inebriated. It's utterly stunning to me that a brewery that makes a beer like Cumulus of Thunder makes such shitty non-barrel-aged stouts. I didn't care for their Astronaut collab with SoPro nor this one. I think I also had another pastry stout that was very subpar as well but I can't remember the name of it. Honestly, if you can, try every beer from Trimtab at the brewery prior to buying if you can, not all of them are winners (I did not go home with any four packs, clue : I went home with bombers). I think they know how to brew but they are still working out kinks. But honestly, if you're looking for a total winner without a doubt, Cumulus Language Of Thunder = = = that's the shit right there.

Mar 25, 2020
Tusk333

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

First pour the head was the equivalent of making homemade chocolate milk with syrup and milk. The cinnamon is prevalent with each sip as vanilla slightly backs it up. The chocolate is rich and somewhat bitter like a semisweet dark chocolate or a cacao. Overall taste is great, and heavy. It would be a one and done for the day, but absolutely 0 regrets drinking.

Jan 19, 2020