Columbus IPA | Columbus Brewing Company

View: Beers
firstprev| 1251-1275 | 1276-1300 | 1301-1325  | next → last
Ratings: 1,316 |  Reviews: 375
3.02/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been slightly off the pale ales of late, as I have felt overwhelmed by their ubiquity. Nevertheless, I won't turn down one that I've never tried, and the folks from Columbus certainly helped my willingness. The pour was a cloudy medium to dark honey which I did not expect, and the white head was decent & full. The aroma, however, threw me for a loop, as it was an astringent cat pee aroma with hints of Concord grapes. Very off-putting. The flavor, however, was not of urine, thank God! Rather, it was light but full, with good hops, not too sharp or sour, and with mild citrus tones. Weird but good.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

I was warned by the owner of my local liquor store that this IPA was incredible. Wow, this might be the best IPA ever, certainly the best I've ever tried. Pours a nice dark orange with a bit of haze. Head is a single finger height with very nice lacing. Smell is absolutely incredible, the myriad of flowers and slight spicing just burst into your nose. I just can't do this justice enough! Taste is equally floral with hints of citrus and spice. Mouthfeel is tangy, slighty alcoholic and astringent but the aftertaste is pummeled by the flowery hoppiness. Drinkability is on the high side, the sheer enjoyment when the bouquet hits your nose makes you crave more.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Orange, with an off-white head, good retention.

S - Citrus and more citrus. Malts are mostly caramel.

T - Fruit--most grapefruit like with sweet grass as well. Malt is there, but just enough to balance the bittering... perfect in my mind.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated which provided a very refreshing feel.

D - Very good.... the alcohol may be a bit high for a session beer, but this one keeps me coming back for more.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a copper orange. Thin head, not much carbonation. Swirl the liquid around and it produces a nice glaze with spotty lacing that lasts for some time.

The simcoe hops stand out on the nose producing grapefruit, pine, and orange-lemon cream. The malt appears with a mild toastiness and butterscotch; creating a balanced aroma.

The beer is very smooth and silky when it hits the tongue; little carbonation. The flavor is grapefruit meets some citrusy pine that decides to do a little dance with some grainy-sweet malt. Signature IPA that leaves the mouth dry and tart while begging for another sip. Mild numbing in the back of the throat; nice.

I have asked people for years why this beer was not bottled; Christmas came early. I have enjoyed CBC since the early-90s with their Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale while running across their IPA on tap here and there. Great business decision by CBC and look forward to enjoying more.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours a medium to dark orange color with some haze to it. The eggshell head tops out at one and a quarter inches and sticks around for a while. It becomes a little rocky as it recedes to a thick cap. Retention and lacing are both excellent. This brew is picture perfect. I really can not think of anything to improve on the appearance of this one.

S - Lots of fruit hits the nose immediately. I'm able to pick out orange, mango, grapefruit, and kiwi. Seems like the slightest hint of pine comes in behind the fruit. Some malty notes come through at the very end and are hard to pick out. Could be toasted bread and caramel. Very nice aroma. Not overwhelming but still quite hoppy.

T - Big fruit comes over the palate first with hints of orange and mango. Resiny and earthy flavors weave in and out midway before coming back to some more fruit (bitter grapefruit). Malt base is present but pretty much stays out of the way. I"m pretty sure some bread crust and hard candy flavors finish it out. Alcohol is covered well.

M - This one is on the light side of medium bodied. Carbonation is active and works well in this IPA. Finish is bitter and dry just like I expected.

D - Drinkability is good for this Columbus selection. There is a nice balance between the hop flavor and hop bitterness. It is definitely interesting enough to keep coming back for more and more. The lack of any real alcohol flavor just makes it go down that much easier. I must admit that Columbus brewing hit a home run with the IPA. Great stuff. Easily recommended.

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

Got this one from csmiley! Thanks for the chance to try this!

The label tells me this beer is a "hazy pale orange", and I couldn't disagree any more...I'd call this more copper in color, but hey, this wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of being color-blind. Either way, it's a nice color, with a foamy tan head which doesn't seem to be going away, and a whole lot of lacing left behind. The smell? One of the nicest smelling IPAs I've encountered. When I stick my nose in the glass, all I can think is "This is exactly what an IPA should smell like". Big explosive grapefruit smell, sticky pine notes...I could get high smelling this. Wow, just...wow. Taste follows right along, amazing citrus tastes, some tangerine, pine is there, but more subdued, and only very slightly bitter. Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, and drinkability is off the map here....I really couldn't be any more impressed with this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I walked into my favorite beer store today and found CBCs IPA in the bottle for the first time! So naturally I ran home and poured that bad boy into a pint glass and dove right in.

It poured a medium head that quickly reduced to a thin film that retained with minimal lacing for the entire beer. Color was a surprising orangish color (was expecting more of an amber).

Aroma was there well before I was done pouring. I would describe the floral hop aroma to be almost piney. Very nice!

Taste was slightly bitter, balanced with medium maltyness. For the strong piney and hoppy aroma, I expected a very bitter flavor and was surprised to find this to a be a very well balanced IPA with a strong hop nose to it. Aftertaste was slightly bitter with a hint of citrus.

Light to medium mouthfeel with a higher than expected drinkability.

Overall this is yet another fantastic beer from the Columbus Brewing Company. I am yet to be disappointed by these guys.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle

Pours a transparent orange-brown color. Head is just slighlty tannish white in color, diminishes quickly. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma is huge!! Smells strongly of citrus type hops. Almost has an earthy smell too it, but still very strong of fruit like hops. I could smell this one all day long.

Body and carbonation are both light. Hops are apparent from initial to aftertaste. There is just enough maltiness to balance the hop flavor. It is not sweet by any means but it is a balanced beer. The bitterness stays on tongue for quite some time.

Drinkability on this one is awesome. The smell alone is enough to keep me coming back, not to mention it's brewed in the great state of Ohio. This is by far CBC's best beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Pours a nice clear amber color with foamy tannish colored head that leaves a good amount of lacing. Tons of bubbles pouring from the bottom of my glass. Looks pretty good.

S- Very well balanced between the malts and hops. Tropical fruits, piney, and caramel bready malts.

T- Follows the nose pretty well. A great mix of hops and balanced out by the malts. This is a very awesome and solid example of the style.

M- Nice carbonation and medium in body. Fairly crisp and sticky.

D- Easy to drink and a pretty good example of the style. The more I have the more I want this one.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a golden yellow with very little in the head department. Tiny bubbles rise from the bottom, and there is a slight spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Amarillo, and another hop that I can't pinpoint, but very hoppy in the aroma. I get a slight hint of malt, but not much but hops greeting my nose.

Taste- Hoppy as can be yet smooth with enough malt to balance things out. Goes great with my spicey sushi for the record. Hops are really quite powerful. Prickleing but very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel- Bitter, smooth, lightly creamy, drying, medium-full bodied, excellently carbonated.

Drinkability- Columbus Brewing Company is really hitting a home run on this sampler. Excellent drinkability.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

A tasty brew, but doesn't fare as well as the Columbus Pale and the Porter. The malts seem light, flanked against the high attenuation and grassy, citrus hops. Very herbal, grassy, citrus, and piney from the hops, leaving the beer lightly astringent. Higher dryness and alcohol hurts the drinkability a bit. Still crisp and refreshing. Minty and numbing to the palate. Certainly won't turn it down, but I'd prefer another Pale.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I had this on tap at Columbus Fish Market last night.

Arrived at the table without any head at all in a pint glass. Appeared to be an amber color, almost a clear dark red. Smell is very subtle hops with citrus and a slight taste of pine coming through. Taste is much more floral and grapefruit than I thought from the smell. Very surprising and smooth. I really enjoyed every sip.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Cask version at Barley’s 5th Annual Mini RAF (04/28/07): This brew is a clear dark amber color with a compact bone white head and spotty lacing. Citrusy hops aroma. Medium body with hops, pine and citrus flavors. Touches of malt here and there too. The finish is hoppy and lingers awhile, and allows some roasted malt flavor to poke through. Pretty good overall.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: Copper colored ale with a slight haziness and some orange highlights to it. White head reaches 1” and goes away quickly.

Smell: Very floral hop aroma and fresh grapefruit too. Reminds me of Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher.

Taste: Different from what I expected. Not as complex as I wanted, kind of a one dimensional flavor profile. Kind of a metallic off flavor that sits in the background.

Mouthfeel: Slick at first but then a U-turn makes it feel metallic and coarse. Alcohol is present, but not cloying.

Drinkability: Okay but not worth seeking out. There are better IPAs to be had.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

This was my second and final beer this time around. It complimented my Chicken and Andoullet Sausage Quesadillas.

It arrived with a 1/2 off white head over an amber body.

The smell was of grapefruit and pine.

The taste.... quite good... definate piney hops and citrussy taste. Very bold.... excellent taste!

Mouthfeel was also good. nicely carbonated and complimented my food.

Drinkability.... Also quite good.... if I wasn't leaving right away, I could have enjoyed a few of these.

Pours a murky orange color, with a 1.5 inch creamy white head, with good retention, leaving a thick rings of lacing that coat the entire inside of the pint glass.

The aroma is dominated by spiced hops, accented by a strong presence of orange peel and rich malt.

The flavor follows aroma--it is very orangey and hoppy, spicy and bitter, undercut by rich, roasted malt.

The mouth is full-bodied and complex--begining bright and citrusy on the tongue, then dries out with bitter hops on the back palate. It is well carbonated and balanced, very pleasing. Very drinkable for fans of the style, and accompanied my sirloin steak, topped with a dollop of lobster butter, very well.

I drank two pints after picking it as the winner out of the tasting flight.

firstprev| 1251-1275 | 1276-1300 | 1301-1325  | next → last