Columbus IPA | Columbus Brewing Company

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

Added by Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006

Ratings: 1,299 |  Reviews: 371
4.05/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle, thanks to DonFrap for sharing this one! Poured into Founders snifter.

A- Pours a hazy slightly golden amber with about a finger of white head that dissipates fairly fast. About average carbonation. Leaves spotty lacing.

S- Citrusy hops- grapefruit and a little bit of lemon, some malts, average aroma strength.

T- Citrusy hops- a tiny bit of grapefruit and lemon balanced with light malts and some light malts. Not overly hoppy but a nice balance between everything. Not too bitter. Finishes with a little bit of lemon hops and light malts.

M- Fairly light, refreshing, goes down very easily, perfect carbonation for an IPA, abv very well hidden, very nice feel.

O- I had never heard of this brewery when I tried it, however I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. We had a mini IPA tasting tonight and this was probably the 2nd best IPA out of about 4-5 different IPAs. Nice light citrusy hop taste mixed with a nice slightly juicy mouthfeel. I recommend trying this beer out.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Huge fluffy white head with great lacing and a clear copper body. Sweet, fruity citrus aromas overshadow a modestly sweet malt base. The taste is light and sweet, while citrusy and tasty even when warm. The mouthfeel is light and very, very well carbonated (or the keg was tapped incorrectly?). It's a very drinkable IPA with a very citrusy hop profile.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at Bar Louie in...you guessed it...downtown Columbus. Pours a hazy golden color. Smell of straight pine, big time bitter, and very little malt presence here. Flavor is very hop forward, big pine hops up front, bite throughout, then more bitter on the way down. One of the most dry finishes I have experienced from an IPA. Focuses hardcore on the bitter hops. Not for those that dislike bitter. Luckily for me, I do. Good IPA, if not a bit one dimensional.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on 2012-06-29 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy golden-orange with a 3-finger foamy white head with good lacing.

S - Sweet orange citrus, pale malt, tea and hop floral. Not very aromatic but pleasant.

T - Orange zinger tea, moderately roasted malt, not bready, not very sweet, light pine, earthy spice and lemon zest. Aftertaste continues to remind me of spicy, citrusy tea with plenty of lingering bitterness.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Dries nicely. Somewhat prickly with residual resins.

O - It's got it's own thing going on. Tastes like a tea-inspired IPA. Imagine having a very lightly sweetened lemon zinger tea, taking a sip and immediately eating a dry biscuit followed by a bite into a lemon peel and you'll have an idea of this flavor. I like it.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

INFORMATION: I had been hearing good things about this beer for a couple of years now. However, I have been unable to get my hands on it until now. I do have one BIG issue with this beer though, and I’d like to get it out of the way right now…….There’s NO FRESHNESS DATE on the bottle! In my eyes, this is simply unacceptable for any beer that is highly hopped, such as IPAs, DIPAs, Red Ales….etc. If you’re not going to date your bottles, you’re subject to people either not buying it, or being turned off to your beer when it’s quite possible that it’s way past it’s ideal freshness date.

APPEARANCE: I poured the beer carefully into a British-style pint glass in order to leave the visible sediment in the bottle. This resulted in a hazy copper-orange liquid with two fingers of white foam resting on the top. It settled to a thin layer after about 10 minutes, but it still completely covered the top of my beer. Pretty impressive lacing on the sides of the glass throughout the entire beer.

AROMA: Orange, Mango, Peach, Pine Resin, and lightly toasted Caramel Malts.

TASTE: There’s a nice combination of hops and malts up front. The hops are definitely more dominant, and bring both fruity and piney flavors. I would say that this is slightly more pine-forward, but the citrus flavors are definitely present. Just the right amount of malt backbone. Very subtle sweetness towards the middle. The finish is a bit cleaner that the initial greeting would lead you to believe, but there’s certainly some nice lingering hop bitterness.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied Ipa with moderate carbonation. On point for the style.

MOREY’S BOTTOM LINE: As I’ve already mentioned, I’m not sure how fresh this bottle was. I could see some sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but it was still pretty fruity and bitter. Most of all, it was really tasty! If I could buy this in the Erie area, it would probably be one of my “go-to” IPAs. Columbus IPA brings a combination of citrus and pine, and usually it’s one or the other. It reminds me of Smuttynose Finest Kind, but it’s a bit more citrus forward. Very Nice.

Columbus IPA from Columbus Brewing Company