Columbus Uncle Rusty | Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
columbusbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Part of the hop odyssey.

Gold medal in Category 90: Imperial Red Ale at the 2014 World Beer Cup.

Added by MbpBugeye on 04-02-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.67/5  rDev -14.5%

An unlabeled bottle courtesy of MbpBugeye.
Thanks Seth! (January shoelaces are yellow!)

Served in a snifter while enjoying a Futurama movie... Good times.

This beer is super dark-- like deep purple, plum, almost brown it's so dark red... Awesome lacing and retention.
Smells a bit like an aged barleywine-- lots of sweet malts, some dark fruit notes, and a big booziness.
The taste follows the nose with a big sweetness. Light bitterness on the finish, but the boozy dryness overpowers all else.

The body is velvety like cola-- lots of carbonation and lots of sticky sugar that coats my teeth.

The beer is pretty drinkable, albeit not exactly what I would have expected. Lots of flavor, decent body, just a touch to boozy to be a good amber ale...

3.67/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32oz growler filled at Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood, Ohio

Growler filled into a tulip. Pours a deep auburn with ruby hues and has nice clarity; off-white head that fades leaving solid retention and little lacing. The aromas basically have that signature Columbus hop profile, but maltier. Sweet caramel malts blended with some tropical notes. Some toffee and cocoa in the mix as well. The flavors are bold, but clean. Some pineapple notes shine, but is blended with the malts. Lots of caramel and toffee. Perfect blend of malts and hops. Slightly spicy. Maybe some rye and black pepper in the mix. It starts off bitter, but everything becomes balanced the more you drink. Very subtle warmth, but it's not hot or boozy at all and the alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and dangerously drinkable.

Very nice brew from Columbus. They're great at making complex beers seem simple. Well done.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass
A: Transparent brown with a reddish tint, one-finger head
S: I swear I'm smelling maple, also malt, earth and a nice dose of hops
T: Packed full of both malt & hops yet remains balanced. I'm not picking up anything terribly specific, just tasty & structured
M: Full-bodied, seems a bit sweet but that's well balanced with bitter hops
O: Solid beer, very enjoyable. I'm apparently not quite as in love with it as the majority, I for me it would be improved if it were slightly less sweet and I could taste specific notes. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to get it again

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Review from notes 4/8/2011.

Very dark in color, almost purple at times. Not much head, served into a tulip glass. Left a very good honeycomb of lace despite the lack of head. What a nice surprise.

Smells quite sweet and hoppy. Lots of citrusy orange and mango. The hops remind me of both CIPA and Creeper.

The taste is bitter up front with a crisp fresh hop flavor. There's plenty of pine along with a sweet caramel malt backbone.

Slick on the way down, but overall bone dry. Medium body and carbonation.

Overall another solid offering by CBC.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

The Columbus Brewing Hop Odyssey has not really let me down thus far so I hurried home from work tonight to fill my growler. For some reason this one is more expensive. $19 and some change for the growler, $6 for a pint. The bartender told me this one clocks in at around 9% ABV.

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.
A- Deep "rusty" red color. Semi hazed, its obviously unfiltered. An off white, yellowish head forms but quickly fades to a small film. Its pretty sticky and is throwing all kinds of lace.

S- Sort of weak. This is a live review of my second glass so the growler isnt too cold but the bouquet still hasnt opened up too much more. Im getting a pretty good balance between caramel malts and citrus hops. As far as I can tell this Hop Odyssey so far has been using the same hops each time. The hops here smell very reminiscent of Creeper. Not that that is a bad thing, I prefer fruity and citric hops. Very tropical and fruity. Lots of oranges, pineapple and grapefruit.

T- At first you think this is going to be pretty balanced but halfway through a sip you realize it is way more hop forward. This might be one of the more bitter American reds Ive had. It overthrows Cascazilla. Unfortunately a lot of that wonderful tropical fruitiness thats in the nose (and a couple of the past beers in this series) is lost. You get a pretty potent medicinal, resinous hop taste. This is slightly balanced by that caramel malt.
EDIT: Having another glass. The growler made it through the night just fine. Upon revisiting this beer, I had to readjust my score for the taste. While I stand behind my remarks about a medicnial finish, the hops to retain plenty of that delicious pineapple and grapefruit citric bittersweetness.
M- Mild, yet still biting, carbonation. It finishes with a lingering, oily hoppy taste. Not sticky but not dry.

D- The ABV really is not officially calculated on the beers in this series (correct me if I am wrong), they just throw out a ballpark. This one drinks like a beer way lower than it is though. I am enjoying this beer, as I do everything from CBC, but unless you prefer a more medicinal, astringent hop profile, then one or two pints will do you.

So far we are 4 down in this Odyssey. Creeper was my favorite (I REEAAALY wish I had some more right now). I would say this might be my least favorite. Nonetheless it is a solid beer and I feel lucky to have the easy opportunity to try it. I will be anxiously awaiting Rhapsody next month.
EDIT: This beer has really grown on me after only two glasses. This has never been a style that impressed me, but this beer stands out.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Screw-top growler received in trade from bb8189. Thanks for the opportunity to fill in the GATM gap in my life for a bit, Brian!

First imperial pint pours with a 1/2" orangey tan head, over the cloudy red brew. Head falls slowly, with sticky lacing. Aroma is prickly green hops. Taste starts malty, goes citrus for a moment, then comes at it full on with piney bitterness, rounded by some alcohol. Mouthfeel is soft over the tongue, with chewy body, and drinkability is great. Glad I got to try this limited offering, nice one.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Columbus Uncle Rusty

Poured into pint glass

A: Simply beautiful in a rugged way . . . Deep brown to ruby red glow

S: Caramel, fruit punch, oak, molasses, and other spices

T: Could be way way . . . Way off but what this is to me is a hoppy old ale.

M: Full flavor and full bodied.

O: Columbus brews awesome beers across the board. Nothing is boring. Nothing is average and everything is good to great ! That being said Uncle Rusty is their sleeper beer.
Get it !

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on tap at Bodega.

A- Pours a murky reddish color with an off white creamy colored head. A good amount of lacing is left behind.

S- Hops seem to jump out at me. I'm mainly picking up citrus hops every where here. Just a bit of caramel malts are coming through.

T- Alcohol taste is hardly noticable. This brew seems to be dominated by hops. Again the citrus flavor jumps out. A touch of sweet malts comes in at the end. Very nice brew here.

M- Right at medium in body and carbonation seems to be right on too.

D- I think this one might sneak up on a few people. I like what they have going on here with this one. Very easy to drink and I'm looking forward to their next one.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast