Columbus Apricot Ale | Columbus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Dogbrick on 09-20-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Trying this brew finally completes my sampling of all of the bottled offerings of my local microbrewery. It pours a orangish golden color with a thin head. The smell is quite nice - sweet and apricot-like. The taste is interesting. There's definitely an apricot presence, combined with a hoppy bitterness but a somewhat watery base to it all. Somewhat of a letdown after the very nice scent. All in all a decent beer, but not something I'm likely to be picking up again.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Bright ripe apricot with enough fine particulates in suspended animation to appear hazy. The head is whipping cream white in color, nicely firm, reasonably persistent and displays a windswept mesa look as it descends. The amount of lace, while not abundant, is better than average. Fresh apricots and peaches dominate a nose that is a little more hoppy than I expected.

This is a pretty good fruit beer, all things considered. The strength of the apricot flavor is right where I'd like it to be. The beer's biggest strength is that it's a pale ale that happens to be subtly flavored with apricot, not a supersweet, intensely apricot-flavored beer a la Melbourn Bros. Apricot (which I enjoy as well).

The base beer isn't without fault. It seems to me that it could use a bit more pale malt. That would provide a sweet counterpoint to the somewhat sharp bitterness of the hops and would also fill out a too-lean body. The beer is a shade too thin in the mouth and is harshly carbonated to boot.

Columbus Apricot Ale is a pretty good effort whose faults aren't deal breakers. Fruit beers are notoriously hard to do well so I'm pleased that this beer from my former home is a more than respectable version.

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

I picked this up, while the CBC was closed, I was able to grab a six to go. We were to early.
Once home the beer poured a good looking orange-copper color with a good steady eggshell colored head. Carbonation is medium, so the bubbles tend to be air-like but they don't run and hide. Instead they let a nice apricot aroma float toward the nose. The aroma is of dried apricots and greets you at first pour. Some lace is left. The taste dose carry some apricot but not as strong. The taste overall is alittle bitter though the hop and a sweet malt seem to be well balanced. The mouth is left tart. I think the beer is very drinkable as a "snack beer". It also isn't bad to cook with for the aroma. I will buy thisone again.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Is copper orange in color with a nice orange cream hued fluffy head leaving about two fingers of head space, while the lacing is clinging to the sides of my pint this beer looks excellent. Aroma: Smell is incredible natural smelling apricot tones this one smells very nice, I am impressed not overly cloying and no off tones to boot. Very natural smells like apricot juice, good stuff. Taste: The apricot flavor plays the forefront very nicely with solid grainy tones rolling through, a bit spritzy for me but overall solid and I could picture drinking more of these than both Magic Hat #9 or Pyramid's Apricot ale. Soft effervescence comes billowing through each sip a bit of hop bittereness in the finish this one agrees with my tastebuds. Allow me to thank fellow BA, beergeek279 for the sample. Mouthfeel: Is light to medium in body with a spritzy carbonation not bad or cloying in anyway going down I am happy with this selection. Drinkability: Best part here is the apricot flavor only imparts upon the overall beer, doesn't bring any overkill of apricot syrup tones. It does the trick for fulfilling a decent fruit beer with drinkability, for once. I am by no means a fan of most fruit brews but this one catches my fancy, thanks again Bill.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Served as a sample (from the bottle) at Columbus Brewing. The color was golden, with a good head. The smell was a very slight apricot. The taste was fairly fruity sweet...a bit stronger than a #9, but not nearly as sweet as most other fruit beers...seemed well-balanced. Mouthfeel was smooth. As for drinkability, since it's not cloyingly sweet, could have a few of them.

A nice little fruit beer from Columbus. Thank you to the Saturday night bartender at CBC for the bottle sample...most appreciated. I actually did buy a 6 pack of this one, and I imagine I'll enjoy the beer as a nice little refresher during the lapsing days of November Indian summer.

1.96/5  rDev -46.6%

Bright orange-copper color with a modest off-white head. The head fades rather quickly to a spattering of foam. The aroma smells very much like dried apricots, and not much else. The taste is like dried apricots coated with a rubbing alcohol residue. Very bitter, yet very light. Seems like a ton of fusels in there. Take a big gulp with less air, and the flavor is a little better. Mouthfeel is thin, drinkability is poor. A thoughtful offering from a local BA (brought to me during one of our occasional trades), but one that seems to need a bit more thought by Columbus brewing. Ack!

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

The nose on this beer really threw me for a loop. I kept going back to it to try to come up with another impression other than my initial reaction. I finally gave in and concluded that the aroma was of sulphur. There's simply no other way to describe it. But wait! Though the nose was offputting, the taste was not all that bad. The flavor has a flowery sense to it, but this is not as negative as might be thought. The flavor overall is kind of pleasant as a novelty. The beer does finish in the very end as a light apricot nectar. Not bad. The appearance is fairly poor, showing a light orangish amber with a minimal white head and no lacing. Definitely a beer that needs a companion food dish in order to be enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a very mildly flavored fruit ale. Light amber color and a lightly spicy sweet aroma. The flavor is well-balanced between a sharper hop profile and a malty presence with just a hint of apricotthrough the finish. Very much like Magic Hat #9 with a more aggressive bitterness.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Definitely better than Pyramid's version, as the apricot flavor is much more subdued. Very pretty orange hue and minimal head/lacing. Stong apricot in the nose that luckily does not translate much to the taste.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last