Columbus Nightstick IPA | Columbus Brewing Company

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Spider889 on 01-07-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a nice brown head. Head is gone in a flash, leaving behind a few bubbles and pretty much no lacing.

S- Smells a lot like their regular IPA. Smells of tropical fruits and pine with a good amount of malts. A bit of chocolate and smoke come into play.

T- Taste is pretty solid to say the least. A great mix of hops and toasted malts. I enjoyed this one. Hop forward for sure but the malts make a great showing.

M- Probably a bit on the fuller side of medium and low in carbonation.

T- Very easy to drink for sure. I hope this one keeps coming back.

4.32/5  rDev +8.5%

Surprised to see this still on tap over a month after release, and I am a bit apprehensive about the freshness of the hops. In my experience over a month old C-bus IPA is great, but not nearly as tasty as week old. I guess I might be wrong in this case...

A - I would mistake this for a stout if I didn't know better. Dark as night with a light fluffy head that sticks all over the glass.

S - One of the first indications that this brew is no stout or porter is the powerful smell. CBC's tropical citrus lineup wafts out of the glass and makes me crave the days of summer, even though I love their IPAs year round. The kick here is the chalky malts that come into play. The roast is apparent in the nose and leads to obvious expectations in the flavor.

T - Wow, tastes like an awesome IPA/Stout black and tan. Chalky, yet sweet malts combine with not only powerful citric hops, but also tangos with the earthy, piney, and resiny hop flavors. There is a strange balance here of extreme flavors. I am curious to try regular IPA mixed with their new oatmeal stout now...

M - Medium body and fairly carbonated. Doesn't seem to stick around the mouth as much as beers with lots of specialty malts tend to do.

D - Seems to be a good compromise between tropical hops and roasted malt. A much more preferable flavor than many beers in this category (IMHO). I'd go for it again... maybe next year if they continue the Hop Odyssey.

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Mad Mex. This was shortly after the tapping party that night, and I walked away with a free CBC pint glass for my purchase - nice!

I found this to be a truly awesome IPA, but it failed slightly as a Black IPA in my book.

Deep ebony color with reddish brown highlights around the edges of the glass. The head was a little over a finger high, and a dark toffee color. The head was made up of many tiny bubbles and receded after the first half-dozen sips. But those first six were close to leaving a foam mustache as I tried to get at the liquid beneath. I was left with great thick speckled lacing.

This beer smells wonderfully hoppy. Tons of freshly hewn spruce and pine resin. Also some grassiness from the hops. There's also a mild fruitiness (not citrus) underneath all the pine. The darker malts do make an appearance, but when trying to fight past the near-impenetrable hop force field, they just don't get very far. Some roasted chocolate malt makes a valiant attempt nevertheless.

The taste is dry and bitter as hell - wonderful! More pine shines through bright and lip-smackingly delicious. The finish is slightly dry, but also has a creaminess to it. Long into the finish the roasted malt gains leverage on the palate. With time, and warmth, the darker flavors begin to finally show themselves, but by then it is too late - because the warmth only amplifies the hop bitterness.

I really liked this beer, but the maltiness isn't where I'd prefer it to be on a Black IPA. It is not unnoticeable, but the beer seems to be taking mostly color from the darker malts rather than real flavor. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again.

The bartender was not given the abv so I am not sure, but I would peg this at around 7%.

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%