Chain-of-Command | Gun Hill Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

East Coast Style India Pale Ale

Added by jrc1093 on 05-04-2018

3.37/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A thanks to the commander of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. This beer came out of the can quickly, resulting in a golden color with a 2 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits. Taste is a bit unusual. There are orange peels, light peaches, dankness throughout, moderate bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Speiglau IPA glass.

Look is orange with lots of floating particles and a billowy white head.

*note: I was a little concerned on the age of this can, since the canned on date was over 3 months. However, I didn’t smell or taste any hop faded malt notes.

Aroma is guava tropical fruits balanced with a syrupy malt.

Taste matches aroma. Lots of tropical with a light bitterness at the end.

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My Tavour foray CANtinues with yet more CANs that they have shipped to me since signing up. I had a pretty good run during New Beer Sunday (Week 693), but I was left feeling unfulfilled. I am doing my best to get to these as quickly as possible simply because they are just so intriguing. It is an integral part of The CANQuest (tm) to have this inherent curiosity.

From the CAN: "East Coast Style India Pale Ale"; "Make Life a Declaration"; "Unite join us for the revolution online"; "New York state Labeled".

I was dubious about its being a NE AIPA since there was only one previous review & it did not mention clarity. I Crack!ed the vent & began a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. It did not take long for me to realize that there was truth in this advertising. Still, it was foaming up nicely on its own, so I allowed it to CANtinue free-flowing to eventually stop with just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled like another hazebro tropical fruit salad bomb & the wind began to go out of my sails. I will allow for the nose in the style, but that is as far as it goes. If it does not taste like an AIPA, then my "Taste" score will be downgraded accordingly. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and if its creaminess was due to an addition of lactose, I CANnot say, but I will say that it was big for the style. The taste was oddly bitter, tropical, but with an unexpected sharpness, like pine or oak, a kind of woodiness that kept the tropical fruitiness in check. Do not misunderstand me - I do not mind tropical fruitiness, per se. It just needs to be the centerpiece in a new, break-out style. It has nothing to do with the style guide for the current AIPA. I was rather enjoying the counterbalance of whatever they had done to ramp up the inherent bitterness in this one while still allowing the tropical fruitiness to have a chance. It was an interesting beer, better than simply "Good", IMHO. Finish was semi-dry to dry, wavering between tropical and woody. Hmm.

3.52/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 4/9/18

Juicy and coursing with balanced notes of pine, guava, and peach with a light, lingering bitterness. A balanced beer with some nice, discernible tones to it, but just aren't asserted throughout the profile as much as they could be.

Chain-of-Command from Gun Hill Brewing Company