Epiphany

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
EpiphanyEpiphany
Notes: We indulged in our desire to create an IPA that personifies the vivid flavors that can be coaxed from the hop cone, painted on a canvas of soft malt that allows the flavors to shine through. Extensively hopped in the kettle and in the fermentor, we spared nothing in making this beer.

Epiphany was designed to showcase the glorious flavor and aromatics of hops without any astringent bitterness.

Citrus, tropical fruit and pine blend to provide you with a sublimely juicy hop experience.

East or west coast? No. This is a Maine IPA.

Grains: Pilsner Malt, Pale Malt, Oats
Hops: Columbus, Cascade, Citra, Ella, Mosaic
Yeast: House British
Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 1,168
Reviews by ColdOneKev:
4.14/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy gold body with a large white head, leaves tight lacing. Large floaties perhaps from the aggressive pour from the can.
S - Juicy hops, Usual suspects. Citrus, mango, no detectable malt.
T - Follows the nose. No doubt it's a hop bomb. Malt is present if only as a sweet balance that compliments the juiceiness.
M - Thick body, low carb. Coats the palate. Slight alcohol burn.
O - Great, new style IPA. On par with its' New England counterparts. Seek it out.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Just told my wife I had an epiphany, she looked at me awaiting further commentary but I just walked away leaving her guessing. This was about 15 minutes ago she's either left wondering, or just assumed it was my randomness coming full force, either way I'm cracking number two, onward and upward.

Look is what you'd expect minus the yeasty globules floating like black pepper flakes suspended in a thick honey. She's bottled 10/11/16 bought right from the brewery so no age issues. Didn't look at the first beer, I'm assuming it's being done on purpose and part of an unfiltered beer. Just less cloudy with less haze and more of a congealed amalgamation of yeast. Doesn't look great but,....

Smells of fruit cocktail. Theres pear, peach and some sweetness, perhaps a modicum of pine if you work for it,

Taste is crisper than I'd expect, pretty clean good balance of malt and hops, hops accentuated a little better as it warms. Not picking up much floral from the Ella or Mosaic, I'm searching, if I imagine it it's there but the fruit and pine notes dominate.

Mouthfeel is enjoyable, easy drinking and you'd never know you were drinking an 8 ABV beer.

World Class? Not on this go 'round. That may sound like a harsh critique but it's honest. However this beer is very, very good. High marks for drinkability and hop balance, but not in the pantheon of great DIPAs, not this time at least. Willing to come back and give it another try.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

STYLE American IPA | ABV 8.0% | AVAILABILITY Year-round

Juicy, Dank, Chewy, Citric

Yes, there is such a thing as an East Coast IPA ... it’s simply a beer from an East Coast brewery that aims to take over your palate with hops. Hoppy beer knows no borders. Foundation throws down oats, Pale malt, Pilsner malt, and a quintet of hops here, and from all of that this IPA is elevated to hyped-about status. Meaning this is an Epiphany you should be seeking out.

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #103 (AUG 2015)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big, dank hops jump out of the glass on the aroma. Grapefruit and pineapple juice lead the way with oranges, papaya, and apricots. Its hazy and juicy like the New England IPAs, but it nice a really crisp malt backbone that smooths it out without getting too sweet and allows some pine, resin, and earthy bitterness to add a completely different layer to the beer. Top ten IPA for me. Trade for it.

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth and enjoyable taste. I actually liked it more than Swish from Bissell Bros

4.98/5  rDev +11.9%

Outstanding IPA! Waves of hop flavors keep coming at you. Long, long aftertaste stays with you like a faithful dog. Hazy, golden and unfiltered. Foundation's Venture is a great beer. This double IPA ups the ante.

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm giving this beer the score that I am because it is easily among the two or three most intensely potent hoppy beers I've ever had. Think Lawson's sip of sunshine level aromatics, but with nectary mosaic and spicy Ella bursting out rather than straight citra. For me, it's actually a little too intense. The level of spice and the mosaic character make you want to suck on your tongue after you've swallowed it, which I love, but it is bone dry at 1.009 and for me, I could use a bit more body to back up the incredible hop profile. I'm Giving it the high score that I am bc it really is a stand out beverage and it deserves attention, but personally I wish they'd take the hopping schedule they've come up with and make something with a bit more character in the yeast/malt department. Great beer though if you like to get smacked in the face with peaches and mangoes. I've had it from cans that were a couple days old as well as on draft and I found the draft to be a bit more balanced and drinkable (this was also an earlier batch). Either way though, great beer and worth hunting for. More in the stone dryness/clarity department than in the tree house/trillium/HF cloudy, juicy New England trend. I'd love to put it next to Dinner as they both finish very dry and I feel like they have similar hop profiles.

3.33/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Semi-hazy amber-orange with a fizzy white head that quickly recedes to a fizzy bubbly ring and then completely dies off, looking not far off from spiced rum.

Slightly dank pine and apricot aromas kick this beer off. A little boozy pear emerges as it warms.

Taste is overripe peach and pine, with a little tang and bitterness.

Feel is thin and fizzy, a little boozy, a bit cocktail-esque.

4.71/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A friend had given me a couple of cans of Epiphany and I was quickly hooked. I noted the similarity of it with Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Being a Vermont resident, Lawson's is somewhat more available to me. But I was intrigued with Epiphany, drove to Portland and grabbed a case.

Now I had within my possession both beers and decided to pit them against each other. I knew it would be a close call since both rely heavily on Citra hops. What impressed be before the side to side comparison was that Epiphany had this juicy, tangerine quality to it both in aroma and taste.

So, I taste SOS and once again I was amazed at its taste. Then I tasted E and all I could do was shake my head and say, wow, great beer. Back and forth I went and even sampled both straight from the can as Heady Topper suggests drinking their beer and there is some merit to this with any hoppy beer.

The Citra hop quality makes these two beers so close in all aspects but I must say in the end that, the juiciness of Epiphany brings it across the finish line by a nose. Right now, these two are my favorite beers. I've brewed a clone of SOS that hits at about a 90% to the real thing. Thinking of adding some Cascade and Mosaic to the recipe to see if it gets that juicy quality. But if it doesn't, I'll still be happy with the outcome considering that these two beers are so awesome!

4.46/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a flight at Foundation while hopping around the four breweries in that little slice of heaven in Portland. This beer was so good I had to get a full pour (visited back in the summer so I'm writing this review from memory).

Beautiful citrus fruits, not overly dry or sweet, a really nice double IPA that hits you with great flavor and aroma but remains balanced and doesn't burn out the palate (at least too much haha).

Foundation is a great little brewery with great beer and good vibes. Not to be glossed over when visiting Allagash or Bissell Brothers.

4.04/5  rDev -9.2%

The beer pours the expected hazy orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is pretty nice as well, as I get considerable tropical fruit, orange citrus and a hint of dank weed. The flavor profile replicated the nose pretty closely, but it wasn't quite as "juicy" as I was expecting (given the aroma profile), and the mouthfeel seemed a bit thin. Also, while the alcohol was generally well integrated into the flavor profile, there was a bit of a bite on the finish from the noticeable alcohol (which I guess isn't a huge surprise, given the abv. in this beer). Drinkability is pretty good otherwise, and frankly, I was surprised by the 8% abv. (I would have guessed something in the low 6% range).

Still a pretty nice beer/IPA, but given some of the reviews I saw for this beer, I guess I was expecting a bit more from it.

4.02/5  rDev -9.7%

Not much of a head but it leaves ample spots. Dark gold color with a touch of haze.

Mild whiffs of grapefruit and pine.

Starts with an almost oily base of pale malts. The hop bite is direct and peppery. It doesn't match the smell much, but still tastes pretty good. Spicy finish. Long lasting.

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer for being an 8% drinks exceptionally smooth and easily. Generally being in preference of session ales this beer surprised me and quite frankly scared me. It drinks with a big citrus and floral character in both the taste and the nose while the body is significantly lighter than what would be expected. The body while supplying fair mouth feel is a smooth and light pedestal to display this Hop forward IPA on.

4.85/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.91/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev -3.1%