Keiler Helles Weissbier | Lohrer Bier/Privatbrauerei Stumpf GmbH

Style: German Hefeweizen

None provided.

View: Beers
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

A friend brought this back from Germany. I enjoyed it a lot.

19-10-12 on the label. In a weizen glass the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium-sized white head.

An earthy aroma, with some wheat and citrus. A hint of spice.

The taste was more of the same. Nice earthy hops, wheat. More of a lemon taste than banana. Did not really taste the spice that I got in the aroma.

This was refreshing and rather filling. I hope my friend brings some more back from Germany.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

I finally found it...err, almost. Mucho gracias to my uncle John for bringing back something very similar to the same beer from Germany I tried 6 years ago. This is the cousin of the very first beer I ever enjoyed (I mistakenly assumed it was Kostritzer, it was really the Keiler Weissbier Dunkel) and I can't wait to try this one out.

Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a golden amber color that features the kind of haze I expect out of a hefeweizen. I am, however, impressed with its head, a towering, fluffy three plus finger head. Retention isn't amazing (though it's damn good) but I'm pretty impressed with its lacing.

S: I'm surprised how earthy the nose on this is. It seems to rely less on fruity esters (banana, clove, etc.) and more on the noble aspect. Grassy, as well.

T: Again, the star of the show isn't the ester profile, it's the hops. There's plenty of grassy, earthy hops complementing the smooth wheat base. Very refreshing and easy to drink, but it needs more in the way of banana/clove esters (they exist, but are far too mild on the tongue). While it doesn't have amazing complexity, or the X-factor of a Weihenstephaner, it still gets the job done admirably.

M: Lighter bodied with only a hint of astringency on the back end. Well carbonated and easygoing.

O: I enjoy it, but it's not my favorite hefe. It's not on par with Weihenstephaner's or Sierra Nevada's hefeweizen, but it's a fine example of the style. I still can't wait to try the dunkel version of this.

It isn't worth killing your family to find it, but it's definitely worth a try if it falls into your lap.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle purchased at Maruhn in Darmstadt, Hessen (Germany)

Pours a vaguely hazy gold with a very full, foamy head.

There are doughy aromas with light hints of pepper and spice; very little citrus in the nose.

The taste - though pleasant - is a bit mild and understated. Slight citrus flavors balance out a moderate pepper spice. There is an unexpected roasted wild rice finish that is very nicely done.

Overall a very drinkable and well-made beer, though not as spicy, bready, or citrusy as I personally like in a Hefe. Worth drinking if you're in Germany and find it cheap, but certainly not worth paying export prices in the US.

Keiler Helles Weissbier from Lohrer Bier/Privatbrauerei Stumpf GmbH