Blood Money

Notes:
Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 83
3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Slightly hazy amber with a large, brown-cream head.
Smell: Sweet caramel malt. Some grassy, lemon-citrus hop aroma.
Taste: Sweet caramel malt with lemon and blood orange. Bitter hop aftertaste.
Feel: Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated. Slightly syrupy.
Overall: A nice, balanced IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a tallboy can into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Nearly clear golden orange pour with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Blood orange and tropical fruit. Strong citrus presence.

T/F: Lightly toasted grains... again strong citrus, just like the smell. Blood orange comes through nicely. Milder grapefruit rind and pineapple. Sweet fruit and bitter hops... no significant tartness. Balanced... well carbonated. Light bodied and easy drinking.

O: One of the better Blood Orange IPA's I've had. The citrus compliments the hops nicely on this one without overpowering it or tasting fake. Good stuff.... and a very enjoyable IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

See through and on the lighter side of amber in appearance with a frothy white head. A bit of orange soda type nose poking over some malt and slight citric hops. Interesting but nothing exciting yet. Ok I think I dig this flavor mix with some bitterness mixing with some sweet orange flavor. The bitterness almost grapefruit pithy and lingering but not overbearing, wait maybe it’s a bit astringent. This beer feels somewhat thin and watery...eh

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Conshohocken Brewing Co. "Blood Money"
16 fl. oz. can, "CANNED ON: 05/30/2017" and sampled on 08/23/2017
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Nice head, two fingers thick and rocky. Off-white. The body is a clear orange-copper with an almost ruby sheen. The head seems to be holding well. The aroma offers orange over a bready malt base. The flavor is not nearly as orange-like as the aroma suggests, and is definitely an IPA with a bold bitterness that lingers in the finish. There's grapefruit and pine as well. It's a little odd how the aroma suggests one thing and then the flavor delivers another. The malt's a little caramelish as well. Let me change that about the bitterness, it's not just bold, it's aggressive. I think for being a tropically fruity beer, even an IPA, they've overdone it a bit. Medium leaning medium-light in body and gently crisp. There's now some very nice lace on the glass, and although the head is partially broken, it's still got a fairly full surface covering. As it's warmed a bit it's starting to come together a bit better. The orange and caramel and pine are becoming more intertwined and it's a little less disjointed. And the malt has warmed and become a touch sweeter, and the bitterness seems a little lighter, although that's at least partially because I've gotten used to it now, about halfway in. There's still a lot of bitterness at the back of my throat even when I haven't had a sip in a while, and I'm going to continue with my belief that it's overly bitter for what it is. I'm also getting some orange lingering in the finish now as well, and that's nice. So, I'll have to suggest that this is much better warmed a bit than cold from the fridge.

2.65/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear dark amber with a large khaki foam leaving insanely fuzzy and sticky cobweb lace.

Smell brings tons of orange Flintstones vitamins and Tang, with a little caramel malt and astringent hops.

Taste is barely more rounded, with caramel malt, orangey orangeness out the ass, a little biscuit and a hint of bitter pine. Bitterness strengthens quickly.

Thin and watery yet somehow dry.

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-Blood orange ipa canned 03.31.17 consumed 06.21.17. served in spiegelau ipa glass.

A: Dark candy orange like coloring is dense with haze and a strong showing of effervesce. A bready, dull white head is strong at one inch plus and firm in its hold. Beautiful coloring, hazy, with a topping that sets the mood for a luscious burst of hops to come.

S: Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice is wet along with some juicy orange juice hop notes. Fresh pale grains adds some sweetness to the backing with some wet citrus and lemon spicy hops providing a good zing. Good strength overall and sticks around for a moderate time span.

T: Pale grains with some sweet toasty specialty malts adds bready tones to some semi-dry citrus hops. Spicy blood orange character shows its dominance over the drink and leaves a sour twang of lemon hops on the knock out. Tangy orange-citrus.

M: Bready medium full body has a good depth with a nice serving of carbonation provides activity. Creamy and bready feel.

O: A nice show case of the blood orange with a spicy twang of hops and lightly toasted malt backing is balanced just right with each other.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Blood orange IPA. Light amber in color. Fairly see through in appearance. Pretty good. Nicely carbed. Strikes a nice balance between ipa and citrus forward ale.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Color is a blood orange, naturally, aroma has mango citrus slight hops and resin. Taste is a classic orange IPA. Not quite a Type A but a good offering.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark, weathered copper orange in color with an amber hue and light haze. Poured with a short, creamy, bright white foam with moderate retention. Medium malt, caramel malt and freshly squeezed orange aromas. Medium bodied with medium light carbonation and light creamy feel through the middle. Medium malty and caramel malt flavors up front followed by swett, citrus orange, that turns bitter through the middle. Orange flavors, with a a grapefruit-like bitterness, slowly intensify to the middle and fade toward the end. Bitterness is medium high. Finished with a citrus orange note followed by lingering hop bitterness with caramel malt notes beneath. Fairly complex flavors made this interesting. Balance favors the malty side on aroma and the hoppy side on flavor. A very drinkable IPA.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear dark Amber/copper in color with a finger of very long lasting off white head that leaves behind sticky lacing; aside from being too dark for an IPA this is a great looking beer. Tons of citrus in the nose. Blood orange is a distinct aroma but I get a notes of grapefruit and some lightly sweet caramel malts. The blood orange flavor is overwhelming. There is some bitterness in the finish but it's though to find behind that blood orange. Good mouthfeel, feels pretty dialed in with a medium-light body and moderate carbonation. There are a lot of things I like about this beer (looks & smells pretty, has mouthfeel pretty well dialed in) but I can't get over the lack of balance in the flavor. I get it, this is a blood orange IPA but is that really the only flavor that you're going to give me here? I'd much prefer a brew that had a little more going on flavor-wise. Drinkability takes a bit hit with the one-dimensional flavor profile, I'm suffering palate fatigue after one 16oz can.

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep orange with a nice with head that laces the glass.

The smell is a hoppy citrus nose that you definitely can smell the orange. Typically smelling this much of the blood orange has me thinking this is going to be a gimmic but the hops balance if out nice.

The taste is great. Very smooth and fruity. But just enough punch of the blood orange to hit the taste bud to also let the other citrusy hops through.

Very well put together. Very impressed and will definitely make this a regular in my beer fridge.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This ended up being much better than what I expected.

The beer was amber tinted with a rusty brown. Thin foamy, big-bubbled head settles fast.

The aroma brought orange zest and juice out first with a hint of earthy pine hops in the background

This tastes like a traditional IPA first. Pine, resinous hops, bitterness, and bit of residual malt sweetness. On top of that there is a light citrus flavor. Sweet juice, bitter rind, and floral zest. The orange flavor does not overpower the "IPA" like many fruit addition brews.

Moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall I enjoyed this. I didn't have high hopes because I typically am not into fruit additions (e.g. GF Sculpin). The orange added to this beer, it did not hide or mask anything.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very fortunate to have obtained a 16 oz. can in a trade. I haven't been impressed by a few of the blood orange products currently on the market but this one seems to hit the right notes. The seemingly proper mix of a strong orange aroma and hoppy bitterness results in a unique approach to a very different type of IPA. Full bodied yet not heavy at all. I doubt this product is widely distributed but I'll be looking for it during any future visits to PA.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can, into glass

orange rust colored, foamy white head. aroma is definitely heavy on the orange. taste is just too bitter between the blood orange and the hops. not balanced enough. thinner bodied.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

A thanks goes out to the captain of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a tan/orange color with a 1 inch head. Smell is bursting with oranges. Taste is oranges, some grapefruit, light malts, mild bitterness. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

4.96/5  rDev +28.5%

The CANQuest (tm) is making me a true believer of CANshohocken Brewing Company & their ongoing CANned offerings! I try to steer away from proselytizing a Bro. Woody, but the word MUST get out to my brethren & sisters - these guys are the legit bomb, yo! I dig what they are doing & even more righteously, they do it in the CAN!

From the CAN: "GO where the path takes you"; "Please Drink Fresh and Recycle".

The Crack! actually unleashed a little bit of a squirt! Peering into the abyss through the vent of the deep 1 Pint CAN, I could see that it was brimful. I CAN't even follow my own advice & attempted an inverted Glug until things were so out of CANtrol that I had no choice except to back off. This wrongheadedness resulted in three-plus fingers of puffy, rocky, dense, tawny head that sat in mute defiance before suddenly falling like a house of cards. Even more exciting was all of the sticky lacing that it left in its wake. How am I going to get rid of that?!? I returned the jackhammer that I rented a while back. Boo hoo. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a pronounced orange citrusiness atop a grapefruit citrusiness and unbidden, the hop monkey on my back began to screech unCANtrollably. I began to weep as my latest relapse took 'hold & I unfastened my belt buckle so that I could slip my belt out from its loops around my waist & wind it tightly around my left arm to make that beautiful hops vein jump up. The spike was ready & so was the glass, so I laid in and what a jolt! Mouthfeel was medium, which was cool since I have not indulged like this for a while. The taste was beautiful, man. The orange citrusiness was like when we used Natural Orange cleaner and the passageway smelled like a citrus grove and then the grapefruit citrusiness of the hops started peeking through and I was gone. Baby, you have no idea. The hops don't need to attack you like an invading army to get off in a righteous manner, man. They CAN arrive slowly and gently, caressing the tongue like your favorite lover of all time, cradling your taste buds & rocking them to sleep. I love a score like this. My belt unwound of its own accord and fell to the floor. I looked down at it as though it were a foreign object as I picked up the glass for another hit. Where has the day gone? I feel like I've been in an opium den, awaiting Mama-San's shaking of my shoulder, letting me know that time is up & it's time to go. Prince is dead & yet paisley patterns adorn my kitchen walls. A belch brings me back as my mouth and sinuses fill with an orange citrusiness that somehow reminds me of a Dreamsicle/Creamsicle from when I was a kid. Shades & hues of purple & orange fill my vision. Dig the shag carpeting, man! This was a far out beer. Dare I say trippy? The finish left me satiated as Jonny's Umbrella People paraded outside my window. Baby, if you dig citrus flavors in your beer, then this will send you into orbit, dig? For all others, just put your misunderstood CANs in a box & I'll give you my address. No sense letting them go wasted or unappreciated.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Blood orange is a great differentiator for the typical conshy IPA - makes it more approachable to a non-IPA drinker, without disappointing the purist. Great timing for spring release as it gets warm.

Blood Money from Conshohocken Brewing Company