Welcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPA | Jailbreak Brewing Company

Welcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPAWelcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPA
3.74/5
Good
Welcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPAWelcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPA

Jailbreak Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
jailbreakbrewing.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

An artisanal style IPA combining mildly bitter hops, garden fresh jalapeño peppers and cilantro. It’s an easy drinking IPA without the burn or bittering one might expect.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 21 | Ratings: 143
3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I unexpectedly liked this beer. A carbonated hoppy jalapeno beverage which I'd enjoy pairing with spicy eats more than drinking singularly. The copper color lured me more than the smell. Overall, I'm glad I had the pleasure of sipping on this freebie as I might not have taken the plunge.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Got in a BIF from oline73. 12 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 7/22/2016. Pours hazy deep orange/copper color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big jalapeno pepper, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, passion fruit, mango, lemon/orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of jalapeno pepper, juicy citrus/tropical hops, and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big jalapeno pepper, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, passion fruit, mango, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Moderate pine/citrus peel bitterness and light pepper spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of jalapeno pepper, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, passion fruit, mango, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of jalapeno pepper, juicy citrus/tropical hops, and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light dryness from bitter/spiciness, increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/sticky, and slightly resinous balanced mouthfeel that is great. Minimal warming alcohol for 6.9%; with minimal pepper heat as well. Overall this is a very nice pepper IPA! All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of jalapeno pepper, juicy citrus/tropical hops, and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink, with the minimal pepper spice and heat. Has nice presence of pepper flesh flavors in balance with a really juicy hop profile. A very enjoyable offering.

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

Good head, nice color, average smell. Disappointing taste. Expected to taste jalepeno and cilantro and but it has an over powerful bitter hop taste. Wife agreed it was a bitter beer. Expected better from Jailbreak. Love their Amber.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

This was just not for me. I like the idea, but the heat from the peppers really subdued the hops for me. Instead of an IPA with a slight touch of pepper, I got a pepper beer with literally no hops.

4.18/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Not too hot. The jalapenos are there but maybe more bitter than hot. Good looking beer as well. Nice amber orange with a substantial two finger off white head.

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a can, pours a brilliantly clear copper-amber. Nice finger of dense off-white foam. Smell is a bit muted, but there are piney hops mixed with some spicy pepper, with a little sweet malt. Taste follows, with just a bit of the jalapeno heat. Not getting the cilantro. Feel is on the thin side of medium.

Overall I liked this beer much more than I thought I would, given that I'm not generally a fan of adjunct beers. This drinks fine all by itself, but would be killer with a Mexican meal. A well-made beer worth trying for sure.

4.04/5  rDev +8%

Another CANtastic trip down to DC to visit my aunt & uncle enabled me to score a CAN of my very own! Someone else had a CAN several months back, but it was for sharesies & I need the Full CANty to myself to inCANlude it in The CANQuest (tm). In fact, this is one of the tenets of The CANifesto, now posted for the edfiCANtion of all. Musical acCANpiniment by early Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I welcomed the Maryland Jalapeno pepper & his bindle to The CANQuest (tm) with a loud Crack! He responded by jumping up through the vent to greet me & I CAN tell that we were going to get along together. I turned him upside-down for an inverted Glug, but he expressed his displeasure by erupting in a furious explosion of three fingers of tawny, foamy, rocky head that slowly simmered back down, but not before etching the glass with its fiery lacing. I donned my asbestos gloves before CANtinuing. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity. It was as though any and all particulate had been burned off in a scorched earth movement. Nose was wild - earthy, minty, spicy, definitely the sum of its parts. Mouthfeel was medium. The initial taste was that of earthy jalapeno pepper, but it was not wildly out of CANtrol. Instead, it was tempered by a light mintiness from the hops, which actually got kind of lost in the action or maybe that was the cilatro, but either way, it kept the heat in check. I will CANfess that I allowed mine to come up to room temperature because I had drank this cold before & thought that I was missing nuances. Sure, it is a bit of a novelty, but it still is a nuanced beer. The finish was dry and an earthiness remained that reminded me of tomato plants. Would I want a steady diet of this? No. But it was interesting to drink and I think that it would go well with a lot of different foods & cheeses.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

If you like spicy pepper beers you should try this one. Great jalapeño smell, the same as in the taste. Faint heat in the back. Really enjoyed this beer.

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%

Hybrid IPA/Chile beer on tap (adjusted from notes from six pack):
Pours a sort of out-of-style but definitely non-pale orange with an overall brown tint - almost an slightly yellow orange tan. The head is nice and lasting with decent lacing to get some point back.

Nose definitely has pepper, and oddly reminds me of a jalapeño cheese curl or Cheetos. Not much gets through, but it's interestingly nice.

Rating as a chile beer, a decent amount of pepper taste, but very little heat. Pepper and greenness dominate, perhaps the cilantro coming into play. There's a general earthy bitterness behind the vegetal pepper but not a strong player. The malt provides a nice layer to carry the pepper, maybe the lightest honeysuckle sweet note to open the taste before the pepper comes in.

Feel is actually nice-decent carbonation, not as heavy as it "looks".

Overall enjoyable beer, even though it's really a stretch as an IPA. Ignoring the pepper it might be an APA. As a chile/vegetable beer the notes come through but barely any heat. So it's likely gonna be hit or miss.

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass from a growler. Beer is red amber in color with little head. Smells of some grain but the faint jalapeño overpowers any hops. Beer tastes of sweet grain with faint jalapeño, not as strong as the smell would lead you to believe, and slight floral hop aftertaste. Beer is light bodied and very refreshing, even with the bite. Overall an above average beer.

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours clear, tan, with 1/4 inch head. TAste starts off with jalapenos, then progresses nicely to citrus and toasted malt. The jalapenos are always present, but do not overwhelm the beer and never leave a too hot feeling. If anything, they dry out the beer. The result is a super tasty IPA that I need to pick up more of. A pleasant surprise that I will get again.

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a grand snifter at 50F

Appearance: Deep amber color, 1 finger sized white head with lingering spotty lacing as it goes down.

Smell: Jalapeños upfront, they never overwhelms, and slips into the citrus and pine familiar with most IPAs. Scents are subtle at first but become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Taste: The taste is concurrent with reasonable bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth, good carbonation.

Overall: I usually avoid spiced IPAs such as this because they are so imbalanced but I was strongly encouraged to try this and glad I did. The jalapeños are present but never bully the rest of the beer which is something I personally look for in this style of IPA. Jailbreak continues to impress me with such enjoyable drinking experiences. Cheers!

2.07/5  rDev -44.7%

This beer smells and tastes like jalapeño poppers. Don't get me wrong, I like jalapeño poppers, but in this form it is truly disgusting. Had high hopes when I saw this on the shelf and bought a 6 pack. Really a huge disappointment with the unexpected cheese flavors really ruining the experience. Jalapeños taste artificial, too.

5 beers down the drain after barely getting through one.

Bad beer.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a orange/beige color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by jalapeno's. Taste is jalapeno's, mild heat, some hops, different, but in a good way. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a unique beer worth trying, but not something I would need more than one off in one sitting.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a can. Looks good, has a nice amber/orange color, same color as the can (not a coincidence). Smells very good. Can definitely detect the jalapeno. Nice flavor, but not too strong with the peppers. Good IPA flavor without being overly bitter. I like this more than I thought I would.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When I first saw Welcome to Scoville on the menu I couldn't help but think that it was just a lame attempt to be different. I soon discovered that I love pepper infused IPAs and I just met the standard to which others should be compared. See, I expected a spicy hot zing masking an otherwise mediocre IPA. Instead, Welcome to Scoville is a well balanced IPA with a hint of jalapeño flavor in perfect proportion. It reminds me of the first time I had red hots and kettle corn... the combination sounds bizarre and unnecessary, but the flavors are surprisingly compatible. Its fresh, its unique, and its great from both the tap and the can. I'd have to say the only negative comment I can make is that it isn't the type of beer you want night after night or back to back. That said, most great things are best in moderation.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass. Moderate hand. Forgot to check a date.

A: Copper body with nice clarity. 1 finger of off-white head. Average retention. Nice lacing.

S: Lots of jalapeno pepper backed by fruit-forward hops. Really nice, I'd say. Light caramel. Light citrus and indistinct berry. Maybe I'm imagining it, but sweet corncake/cornbread?

T: A moderate, easy-going hop bitterness opens, tempered further with the essence of jalapeno. The malts develop to deliver a bit of sweetness, grain and caramel flavors that sit nicely in the mix. Alcohol is well hidden. Lingering hops and pepper in the aftertaste with a slight element of capsaicin.

M: Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Feels a touch too light.

O: I am a fan of chili beers and I enjoyed this one, albeit with minimal heat. The nose is particularly nice and pepper-forward. Very drinkable. Not particularly deep, but the hops and the jalapeno mesh quite well.

Prost!

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Heard decent things about this, but didn't have high expectations as this beer sounded a little gimmicky.

Pours golden amber with a poufy white head. Sticky lace on the glass. Aroma is an interesting combo of, yep, citrusy hops and jalapeño. My first impression of the taste is earthy. Honestly, it reminded me of the earthy, roasty nature of coffee stouts, albeit with different flavors. The jalapeño warms the tongue but doesn't overpower, rather balances the fruity hops nicely. The can mentions cilantro, but I can't find it. Ends with pleasant bitterness. Body is right on for just shy of 7%, and went down rather easy for the unique flavor.

I'm most definitely a fan, but it may not be for everyone. It still retains the characteristics of an IPA, so give it a whirl. Different, in a great way.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, and off-white in shade. Both the texture and retention are top-notch, even for the style. Webs of lacing are left on the glass. A nice looking brew, period. (4.25)

Smell: Wow, jalapeno is coming through nicely. Just as advertised, it doesn't seem to feature much heat, rather just jalapeno skin/flesh. Beneath that, it's a pretty average IPA, with caramel, toffee, and hint of citrus. Still, the chilies do enough to raise it well beyond 'average'. (3.5)

Taste: Jailbreak was definitely going for a "subtle and heatless, yet still evident" approach to the jalapenos here - and they pulled it off. I get a little pepper on the front and back ends respectively, book-ending a standard-issue IPA. This does bring malt notes of caramel, as well as a faint touch of citrus from the hops. It seems to taste a bit fresher than Big Punisher did, too. Only thing I seem to miss are some cilantro notes here and there. The jalapeno presence is quite pleasant, helping to redeem an otherwise average IPA. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: Despite the initial crispness, the malts make themselves known thoroughly here. It's full-bodied, and not entirely dry finishing. Carbonation is fairly easygoing, resulting in a beer that isn't eminently drinkable. The creamy feel, though, is quite satisfying. (3.5)

Overall: Big Punisher was hugely disappointing - a Citra-brewed DIPA in cans, that managed to taste several months old even nigh-on brewery fresh. This is the opposite - it sounds like a gimmick that could go awry, but it genuinely works to an extent. Still, I can't help but shake the fact that this could have been fantastic if the base IPA had been leaner and slightly hoppier. This is still a worthy offering, though, and something that will make a fantastic cooking adjunct. (3.5)

3.45/5: A chili beer done right?

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a tulip. Very fresh since I live in Maryland, canned about two weeks ago.

It looks great, nice amber color with a beautiful fluffy head. The smell is jalapeño with a bit of earthy hops. So the taste is a clear jalapeño with a very sweet malt finish. The real problem is I think most of the hops get lost in the pepper flavor. There is no heat at all. The beer tastes fine and is very smooth but the malts may need to be toned down a bit. The mouthfeel is full and the malts leave a sticky syrupy film.

I like the beer but I am not sure I would want this over another regular old IPA. I think the pepper taste is good but that is the main draw of the beer. I applaud the attempt at a tweak on the traditional style. If you love that jalapeño flavor then give this a go

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Their Jalapeno IPA is delicious. Full of pepper flavor but not heat. I was worried it would be spicy; Nope! Lots of IPA's taste about the same, but this one tastes unique and is totally delicious. Not overly hopped, but bursting with flavor. Easy drinking, good mouthfeel and nose.

Welcome To Scoville Jalapeño IPA from Jailbreak Brewing Company